Jessop Yard

Georgie!!

Hi all,

Well Here he is the new little layout project Jessop Yard!!

Jessop Yard is based on a small TMD that isnt set on a real place and serves modern diesel traction. The layout measures at 3ft by 1ft and a bit. The layout can hold up to six locos at any one time!! The layout will have one little servicing shed, one refueling point and a fuel unloading point to attract a bit of attention!! I havent yet created a Fiddle yard but when I do I will remeasure the layout for its overall length. This layout is completley transportable so hopefully will be able to go to exhibitions in the not to distant futurebiggrin.gif

Just one more thing before photos, its set as today so modern diesels will be on show, its OO gauege and the TMD is owned by EWS/DB Schenker but with a fueling point anything can show up wink.gif laugh.gif

So I will stop talking and here are some photos:-

post-6787-12583964163935_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12583964793419_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12583965554474_thumb.jpg

I will add more tomorrow due to better light biggrin.gif

Comments welcome!!

Cheers

George

You didn't state what the baseboard thickness and material is and I can't quite tell from the photo - but at least another support may be a good investment for the baseboard frame. Especially if it is going to get handled a lot. Normal advice is every 12-18 inches.

Also will you be adding point motors? If so - finalise your plan first because you don't want to add a support strut in the place you have to put a point motor.

Hi Kenton,

UMM.. Pine 5mm and the frame thing is only Pine or softwood dont really know. its basically the frame off a B&Q pasting table one way to save moneywink.gif

With only two points I might go back to using the Pull-String-Thingy!?!

I also made sure I attached the piece of frame wood that has the handle screwed to, just so that I can carry it like a suitcase reallybiggrin.gif

only needs legs from B&Q, the fold up tressels but I shall have to save up for them icon_mutter.gif icon_e_smile.gif

I will take more photos tommorow, I would do now but lighting is c**p in my room I think is the only way to put it, parents trying to save money so they shove one of those energy bulbs in that take one hour to turn allthough you have pressed the switch, and then take an extra hour to get a bit brighter icon_frustrated.gif PARENTS!!

Anyway more tommorow

Cheers

George

I would definitely recommend an extra support strut across the middle - two if possible. 5mm is quite thin once you start to put weight on the top and especially if subjected to quite a bit of movement. The placing of a handle on one of the edges is going to add even more stress to that side and its join (glued and screwed?) to the board itself. The cross beams should be secured primarily to the outer frame as it is that which need more strength - but I would also at least screw the board sown to it.

Sadly pine board has a bit of a tendency to warp if it gets damp/wet - but then so do most materials.

I would definitely recommend an extra support strut across the middle - two if possible. 5mm is quite thin once you start to put weight on the top and especially if subjected to quite a bit of movement. The placing of a handle on one of the edges is going to add even more stress to that side and its join (glued and screwed?) to the board itself. The cross beams should be secured primarily to the outer frame as it is that which need more strength - but I would also at least screw the board sown to it.

Sadly pine board has a bit of a tendency to warp if it gets damp/wet - but then so do most materials.

Kenton

I see what you mean about the board double the strength I shall have to see what wood I have left over biggrin.gif

The handle isnt heavy its very light weight its one of those handles attached to decorating tables

The board hasent warped yet but if I add more weight it proberbly willsad.gif

Cheers

George

The handle isnt heavy its very light weight its one of those handles attached to decorating tables

I wasn't thinking the handle was heavy - just that when moving the board around holding it by only the handle - all the boardweight will be applied along the length of support on which the handle is attached. It will have a tendency to pull that support out of the sides - even more so if lightly attached to the surface board.

Also make really sure the handle is well attached. I had a quick look at my decorators table (a cheap thin ply on very weak pine supports) and it is a feeble bit of plastic lightly screwed on, it barely is good enough for the paste board itself let alone a layout that has extra items on it and ones that it would be a shame to see fall off the handles.

Kenton

I proberbly wont carry it like a suitcase, I can now but there is no models on the boards yet, well actually one or two, must show more picshuh.gif

The handle is rubber with metal holders either end it seems sturdy enough but I shall carry it correctly biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

One more thing, is Jessop Yard an ok size for the competition?? I have added it but must make sure biggrin.gif wink.gif

Cheers

George

Hi all,

I have to just add one more frameing piece of wood across the 3ft board so that it wont warp biggrin.gif

I have made the fiddle yard today so all thats left is electrics and scenics getting there... well sort oflaugh.gif

Some items have been added to the board like the portakabins, yard tower lights and fueling point.

Photos hopefully below!!

post-6787-12584732490051_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12584733211991_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12584733659058_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12584734036415_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12584734625369_thumb.jpg

post-6787-12584735078905_thumb.jpg

All comments welcome!!

Cheers

George

Just one thought in that photo above - where your "66" is, it's blocking the "60" in the fuel road. If you can shorten the piece of track the other side of the point and put another 2-3 inches on your sidings to stop that happening, that'll be a big improvement I reckon.

At least, I'm assuming the 66 is up against the buffers? It's hard to tell otherwise from the angle of the photo.

Hi ajdown,

No its not the angle of the photo your right, I wont be placing a buffer on the siding I will instead make it look like the line goes on wink.gif biggrin.gif but in the photo the 66 is too close he would be positioned further back.

Kenton,

I shall re-read the 2010 challenge page to seek your answerlaugh.gif

Cheers

George

Evening all,

I decided to create a little trackplan for Jessop Yard biggrin.gif

I dont though have a computer software like Templot so I used... Microsoft Publishericon_redface.gif ...icon_e_smile.gif

photo:-

post-6787-12584886316262_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps, the green rectangles are portakabins and the dark grey rectangle is a road over rail bridge.

The lighter grey is the depot car park.

All comments welcome

Cheers

George

Hello skipesi,

Cheers for the comment I do wish I could install something more professional than Microsoft laugh.gif and I also wish that my layout doesnt need bracing I have had it sort of drilled into me that more is neededrolleyes.gif Hi Kenton laugh.gif laugh.gif just messing around laugh.gif laugh.gif

I shall look out for your challenge entry!! Do you know when we can actually start building them and show pictures?? I have looked all over the forums, can't seem to find anything??

Cheers

George

Hi all,

Well... no updates sad.gif I have had one of those busy week and so nothing has been done!! I will order some wire so that I can at least 'play' trains and then some ballast (there goes all my PVA)

I have also being thinking about making the layout just a little bit longer? I found another piece of wood, well MDF, that is 4ft by 2ft, so if I add my 1ft ish fiddle yard it would become 5ft by 2ft? But then I thought about the compotition, will the layout be too big now?? Hope not.

anyways, no updates so no piccies, sorry sad.gif I will try my best this week and get my behind in gear and start some work!!

Cheers

George

• RMweb Premium

I think even 5'x 2'=60x24=1440 sq ins so bags of space left. On this forum a lot has been written about using Johonson's Klear a floor polish that avoids all the issues of pva water mixing and I am certainly going to give it a go on my entry.

Hi Mick,

Fantastic maths skills there laugh.gif wish I knew that. So I might just sort of redesign Jessop Yard so it fits on a 4ft by either 1 or 2ft board and then the 1ft fiddle yard, more detail can be added.... oh noohmy.gif biggrin.gif Polish can stick ballast like PVA glue?? mind blowing is that I shall deffinetly whatch your entry to see how you get on biggrin.gif

Cheers

George

Evening all,

When I came home from college today I had a look at the shed area, well whats going to be, and I dont know wethear to make the shed a two road or make the shed a two road shed but with one door closed or do I redo the whole trackplan to create something that might hold more locos?? If I do make changes the layout could hold up to eight, seven or ?? (depends if I change trackplan)

Or do I keep the layout plan the same?? I do want to try an create a depot feel and try and add as much scratch and kit buildings as possible. Thats one of my challenges - Add Scratch and kit buildings - Its an area I havent really touched as you look on other layouts they scratchbuild all sorts of things and so I have decided to give it ago for the challenge. I usually use ready to plonk products as they are easier for me to use biggrin.gif I know im lazy, but learning toolaugh.gif laugh.gif

Im still waiting for materials to build the shed, please do leave a comment so I know wethear to change the shed or not. I have also just ordered ballast, wire, pallets and a buffer stop light biggrin.gif I really dont know why I purchased the pallets and buffer stop light at this early stage but I shall need them at some point in the distant future laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hopefully when parcels arrive more photos shall be taken so updates will start appearing!! Hopefully I shall have an update for thursday evening but Ballast will be arriving probably around the weekendsad.gif

All comments welcome!

Cheers

George

I really dont know why I purchased...at this early stage

A trap I regularly and gleefully fall into. As for the track plans, have you considered checking out some of the reference books? I'm sure someone here who has built a TMD layout before can recommend a good source.

I'll leave the reference books to someone who knows about these types of layouts in more detail than I.

What I will say is go for a track plan which has operational interest. You won't get the length of run or scenery on a layout like this to sit back and enjoy the trains going round, so I'd say you need to give yourself something interesting to shunt. Personally, I'd consider linking one of the dead-end tracks from your fiddle yard to the rest of the TMD and leave just the one dead-ender, since all you can do is basically shuttle a loco from the fiddle-yard to the end of the track and back again.

Yeah I know what you mean there Ragtag, Basically a loco will come from the fiddle yard and then onto either shed or refuelling. I am planning on adding a washing plant for the locos, but after the challenge I think I will be making the layout bigger by having more sidings. Then I shall look for Overhead Electricfication!!

There is a bit of operational intrest, I think? My 09 shunter can easily shunt a wagon with supplies int the shed and then shunt two tanks or one TEA tank into the fuel unloading point? So there is a bit of intrest, but im also going to try for detail!! make the layout look like more of a depot!??

I have decided to go for a Depot that isnt owned by a certain company like EWS, sorry DB Shenker laugh.gif with the help of Renumbering class 66s I will try and create desent fleet in GBRF, DRS, EWS and FREIGHTLINER!! Much to get on with!!

Cheers

George

Evening all,

well I have had a bit of a move on today!! my wire arrived and buffer stop light which I still dont get why I purchased it, oh well... So Jessop Yard is now half wired up which I am thrilled about as it means I can sort of play trains laugh.gif I bit the bullet aswell and added another piece of track for the shed, but the door will be closed so the locos wont really go and hide for a few minutes. This however spelt disaster for the portakabins, but I soon found them a home!! a few more scenic items have been added aswell, but I must finish all wiring so that as soon as the ballast arrives I can splash it staright onto the tracks and make it look like a railway, well ish laugh.gif The next step will be scratchbuilding the shed and im also looking into scratchbuilding a Mobile Phone Mast. I live just down the road to a crazy one but have always said "I would love to model that!" I will one day take a photo as I will need them if I do model it!! and talking about photos I have taken some of Jessop Yard with added scenery and locos with there lights on!!

I also have two new arrivels arriving very soon which is a Class 66 and a 60 both in EWS livery! thats all im telling you on them the rest will have to be a suprise biggrin.gif

So, a liitle list of what I need to do over the next few days/weeks:

1. wiring
  2. ballasting
  3. adding lights to buildings
  4. building the shed
  5. getting info for the Mobile Phone Mast
  6. adding more lights to the depot
  7. then buying chips for around 6-10 locos-OH NO WALLET!!laugh.gif

Photos:

post-6787-12591778107787_thumb.jpg

Picture of the depot area.

post-6787-12591778802196_thumb.jpg

New bits of scenery for the Depot.

I have lost the picture with my locos with there lights on, so I will take one and post it later!!

All comments welcome!!

Cheers

George

Archived