DLR train in OO

Why stick to one modelling project at a time when you can do two, or three or four or fifteen? I've loved the DLR since riding at the front and pretending to be the driver as a toddler. Back then it had more of a quirky and friendly atmosphere than today's busy commuter railway, and on one occasion the conductor gave me a postcard of a DLR train on a bridge over one of the docks.

Anyway, while waiting for the glue to dry on my Donegal railcar I thought I'd have a go at modelling one of the second generation trains, and got started on cutting the sides out from styrene.

P3150125.JPG

I stuck drawings of the car sides to the styrene with Pritt Stick to make cutting the windows out accurately as simple as possible, then peeled them off once the cutting was done. Each of the sides above is actually formed of layers of 0.75mm and 0.2mm styrene also stuck together with Pritt Stick. The two layers will be separated to allow the glazing to be fitted between them, the thin layer forming the outer skin to give a flush glazed effect.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

This is an interesting project, I'm surprised that no-one else has commented since you first posted. Are you intending to make only the vehicles, or to also model some track too? If so, will you be modelling viaduct sections with rails in concrete or 'traditional' trackwork sections? If the former then you would need to scratchbuild the track too, which in turn offers the opportunity to build the vehicles to a more accurate gauge than OO. If the latter then of course it is far more convenient to utilise proprietary track and bogies!

Either way I look forward to seeing how you get on.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

For the moment I am only planning on building the one unit. Having been doing a bit more modelling recently I am finding that I prefer the challenge of recreating the complex shapes of rolling stock to making scenery, which tends to follow more prescribed methods and can drag out over a long time. Whole railways also fill up more space than a couple of vehicles, which is inconvenient if I move on to something else for a while.

But, once this set is done, I might have a go at one of the B07/09 cars, and then maybe I will think about a small diorama or something to display them on. I will probably stick with 16.5mm, using a Black Beetle for power, as that makes it much easier to test the train out on a length of flexitrack or a circle of setrack on the table. If it develops into a diorama later I will have a think about re-gauging to EM or P4 though, as they do give much better appearance and would not mean much extra work if I had to build my own track on a fairly small layout anyway.

Paul

If the former then you would need to scratchbuild the track too, which in turn offers the opportunity to build the vehicles to a more accurate gauge than OO.

Or build the body to H0; there weren't many places where they ran alongside 'heavyweight' trains (perhaps the main reason for sticking to 4mm scale) and items like figures and vehicles and even buildings are as easy or easier to source than 4mm ones. Saves a bit of space too!

there weren't many places where they ran alongside 'heavyweight' trains

Only Stratford - Bow, Tower Gateway - Limehouse, Greenwich, Stratford International-soon, Canning Town - Prince Regent once upon a time, Woolwich and Lewisham (sort of) but its easy to avoid all those places :mellow:

Keith

Only Stratford - Bow, Tower Gateway - Limehouse, Greenwich, Stratford International-soon, Canning Town - Prince Regent once upon a time, Woolwich and Lewisham (sort of) but its easy to avoid all those places :mellow:

Keith

OK, I admit I was thinking of the early DLR but, as you say, it is very easy to avoid heavy rail and really more typical of the places it's been built to serve. At Lewisham you can't see the South Eastern lines from the DLR platforms, so more 'not really' than 'sort of' ;)

It might also be easier to build Stratford International in H0, depending on what runs there (Eurostars have been made in both scales, but so far ICE and Javelins only in H0 and 00 respectively).

OK, I admit I was thinking of the early DLR but, as you say, it is very easy to avoid heavy rail and really more typical of the places it's been built to serve. At Lewisham you can't see the South Eastern lines from the DLR platforms, so more 'not really' than 'sort of' ;)

It might also be easier to build Stratford International in H0, depending on what runs there (Eurostars have been made in both scales, but so far ICE and Javelins only in H0 and 00 respectively).

Stratford International I think might also be a place where they are "sort of" near each other - with HS1 being buried in a box and the DLR looking like it's going to be outside the station on the surface.

DLR trains would make a fun moving backdrop to a modern model of the North London Line's Carpenters Road Jcns though. B)

Nice model BTW, will be looking to see how this one develops.

Glorious,

Stratford International I think might also be a place where they are "sort of" near each other - with HS1 being buried in a box and the DLR looking like it's going to be outside the station on the surface.
Yes the station itself is another 'sort of' its down in another box parallel with the international box, but I meant the bit where it comes out of said box to bridge over the international lines parallel with the North London line as you mention.

Stewartingram

and West Ham soon....

Yeah, I guess that's as much a 'sort of' as Lewisham, not visible from the platforms. Of course there will be the JLE from Canning Town to Stratford but I wouldn't count that as heavy rail.

Burkitt,

Be good to see the completed model, if you need drawings of anything PM me.

Regards

Keith

Bernard, I hadn't even thought of using HO but it would make sense. It's certainly the logical scale for contemporary UK tramway modelling. However as this project is fairly speculative I think the flexibility of OO is useful. Anyway, with the sides cut out it's too late to change as that's about the most time consuming thing to do.

With the window edges cleaned up I've soaked the sides in warm water to remove the Pritt Stick and separate the layers.

P3170129.JPG

Keith, thank you very much for your offer regarding drawings, I'll PM you once I work out what I don't already have covered.

Paul

That looks rather neat. Did you make it using 3D printing ?

Paul

I created the design using CAD, then adjusted the size to fit onto a Modemo tram chassis. I then had it 3D printed by Shapeways. It clips onto the chassis very well and runs very well.

If I can work out how to get a decent resin casting from it, it could well be a forthcoming kit, using Electra vinyls.

Here are the car front pieces. They are made from a layer of 1mm styrene with the windows cut in, with a 0.3mm layer of styrene laminated on top of it to provide a recess in which the flush glazing will be fitted after painting.

P3190147.JPG

This is a roof, upside down, with the interior draught screens. These keep the car sides at the correct profile and add strength to the body. Their shape is fairly accurate but modified to ensure maximum strength over appearance, as they will be pretty difficult to see anyway.

P3190142.JPG

Roof, front, and inner layer of the sides all glued together on both cars

P3190156.JPG

P3190160.JPG

The spacers which will provide a gap for the glazing and the outer skin still need to be added to the bodysides, not to mention the doors.

Paul

For the spacer layer I have used the same transparent plastic as for the glazing, ensuring it will be the correct thickness. The plastic was from an old sheet which had got scratched to minimise waste.

P3200170.JPG

I then stuck the outer skin over the spacers. Once it's really dry I'll give it a bit more finishing and cleaning up.

P3200178.JPG

Next I think I'll do the chassis to help keep everything straight and rigid.

Paul

Today I've made the chassis of the unit. Each section is formed from two layers of 2mm styrene to make it nice and strong, with the side skirts adding extra rigidity.

P3210180.JPG

The front chassis is upside down, the hole is to allow space for the bogie wheels. I'll trim the ends of the skirt later.

P3210190.JPG

The fit is OK but still needs some work to make it perfect. A couple of crosspieces in the body will keep the bottom of it from spreading and be hold the nuts which the screws holding the chassis on will go into.

Paul

P3220200.JPG

Today I've added the seating to the chassis. My model depicts a refurbished train with two rows of forwards facing seats at the front and two seats on each of the inwards facing benches. The seats behind the rear doors will be attached to the body above the crosspiece.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Chris, it's on the back burner for the moment as the three layered sides have gone a bit wavy. I've had a got at sanding them smooth, but then the glue starts coming unstuck and they delaminate. Depending on how my Shapeways 1995 stock, I may have a go at redoing the DLR train by that method, or I may persevere with the current version.

Paul

• 10 months later...

Archived