Point motor control using Hornby's accessory thingymebob

Hi, everyone. I'm a complete newby to DCC, and the last time I bought anything in OO gauge was in the 1970s when a Pacific steam locomotive cost about £8 (if only they were that price now!). Of course in those days everything was DC, and I had no problems, but I would like to go to DCC this time around, but there is so much information to take on board - what system (sound would be an 'of course!'), what locomotives, etc., not to mention what type of point motor.

I'm not keen on going down the 'snap-bang' Peco point motor route this time, because (a) the movement of the point blades is so unprototypical, (I want to use Peco Code 75 (is this called Finescale?) rather than Code 100, and (B) I want to use Electrofrog points rather than Insulfrog versions for more reliable running. I've spent AGES on the internet finding out how to wire double slips, 3-way points, etc., and I think I've got the hang of that particular part of it, but then there's point motors - Cobalt or Tortoise? They look very similar, and both have two SPDT switches for frog polarity changing and signal changing (?), but as far as I can find, both models are driven by 12V DC. Now, as far as I can ascertain, the Hornby accessory decoder which drives up to four points, is 15V AC, or am I wrong here?

As you may have surmised, I'm thinking of going down the Hornby DCC route because I am very interested in the new computer software which is coming onto the market, but the Hornby devices (not necessarily their chips) look very 'child-like' - big chunky knobs and bright colours for children, and hardly a professional method of controlling a layout.

However, being retired and on a VERY limited budget, I've got to remember that if I'm going to spend a lot (a LOT!) of money on a new layout, then the controllers, the accessory decoders, etc. have got to be a reasonable price, not in the hundred and hundreds of pounds range.

I've trawled dozens of websites but I'm always running into problems where a website doesn't give prices in pounds sterling, or the e-shop doesn't stock what they say they have in stock in their advertisements, or the shop is closing down, or some other variable which makes my job of finding out as much as I can BEFORE I spend any money extremely difficult.

Not having a shop fairly close to my home village doesn't help either - the nearest large shop is twelve miles away, and is staffed by young girls who will sell you whatever you want, regardless of whether it is appropriate or not, and the nearest shop staffed by knowledgeable people is over 25 miles away, and we all know the price of diesel these days!

So I'm asking you clever people out there who are actually USING DCC to control their layout for advice, ideas, etc.

I'm also saving like mad - the guys down at Howes of Oxford said, when I mentioned that I wanted to go DCC, that I will need DEEP pockets, and seeing the cost of various items, I can believe them! Anyway, as I can't take my savings with me when I'm buried, I've decided to blow a considerable amount of it on a new layout. Hopefully everything will

My layout will begin with a simple, extendable, 6ft by 2ft baseboard on which I wish to construct a TMD with lots of sidings, with modern image diesel locomotives (all weathered of course). I'm not even thinking about steam locomotives, eras other than the present one, etc. because there's so many traps to snare the unwary like me. My previous OO gauge layouts were classified as either steam or diesel, and that was that!

Many thanks for any help you people (and I'm well aware that there are some very knowledgeable ladies out there) can give me.

All the very best,

Bill :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bill welcome back to modelling. There are numerous articles on Rmweb that address the needs of newcomers to DCC, it really is a matter of trawling through the site until you find what you want. As far as the Cobalt point motors are concerned it is true that you would have to put some diodes or bridge rectifiers in the wiring in order for them to work with Hornby (or in my case Lenz) accessory decoders. There are numerous slow action point motors on the market so you are not restricted to the ones you have mentioned. If you are intending to spend a considerable amount on DCC then don't rush into it, like you wrote DCC does not come cheap but is very rewarding when you have it set up. I like the Hornby Elite but I now use Lenz gear, there are lots of control units on the market and you will get many recommendations, my only advice is pick a system that suits YOU and your needs and if that means trying a few out so be it.

I see you are in Warwickshire so it is quite central. Therefore it may be a good idea to look at what exhibitions are coming up that are within traveling distance, the bigger exhibitions bring together a lot of knowledgable people who will give you the lowdown on DCC, and you will be able to see it in action. The big exhibitions like Warley at the NEC bring together all the main players in DCC and are worth a visit. Generally DCC can be as easy or complicated as you like, Ian Morton has written a good book on DCC (Aspects of Modelling-Digital Command Control) there are others available too. Brain Lambert has a superb site for electrics etc, he has also just released a book which is useful. The important thing to remember is that DCC is just an alternative way to control your layout, enjoy yourself.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

The SMD82 units drive both snap-bang and stall motors... Although I only used the snap-bang types... They also support some pretty comprehensive route programming as well which is really good. I bought 2 from Digitrains and am very impressed with them...

Regards,

Tim

Hi

You mentioned cobalt and accessory decoders. Cobalt is a slow acting point motor as you know and from what you said this is what you are after. Now cobalt has another unique feature it has its own accessory decoder which can be mounted directly onto the actual cobalt unit so no need for the Hornby accessory decoder if you decide it suits you.

A full review is available on the link below of cobalts accessory decoder plus the cobalt manufacturer post there.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=Cobalt-Decoder

Im not sure if you know but can get free software for train control. Can I suggest have a look at these links...its free

and it might be worth considering the NCE as it is cheaper and in my opinion far better than Hornbys offering.

The internet is your friend you can find many bargains, Rails of Sheffield and Hattons have great prices for Peco track and many other bits. Digitrains and DCC supplies and Bromsgrove etc specialize in DCC products.

You dont really need deep pockets for DCC....you may do if you shop at Howes from 20 or so prices I compared tonight. You will find yourself paying on average another 15-20%. Just that statement of needing deep pockets had me wondering.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Cobalt is a slow acting point motor as you know and from what you said this is what you are after. Now cobalt has another unique feature it has its own accessory decoder which can be mounted directly onto the actual cobalt unit so no need for the Hornby accessory decoder if you decide it suits you.

A full review is available on the link below of cobalts accessory decoder plus the cobalt manufacturer post there.

http://www.modelrail...=Cobalt-Decoder

Very interesting, but at ~£70 for the SMD82 it would work out marginally cheaper and you get route selection... Or quite probably have I missed something? :)

Martin, the links to the computer control software didn't make it... Could you put them up please as this is very interesting!

Many thanks,

Tim

Martin, the links to the computer control software didn't make it... Could you put them up please as this is very interesting!

Try RocRail and JMRI - two different free packages which can control layouts from computers.

However, be clear on what you want to achieve. A software turnout/signal diagram is fairly simple, the software is just sending instructions through the DCC command station to throw them.

Automatic running is a different matter, requiring sensors on the layout to determine the current location of trains (otherwise how is the computer going to stop or start them in the correct place??).

The above software can achieve either, but automatic running is not a trivial or cheap step (there are a few exceptions where cheap automation can be done, such as exploiting the "ABC" capabilities on some European loco decoders).

Archived