J R Carter, 1937-2011

Timara

Jim Carter-Footplate Cameraman. Sad news indeed, a great photographer and, being a footplateman, he had the access to make the best use of his skills. As I was born and brought up in Patricroft his photographs, taken whilst a Fireman there, always held particular fascination for me.

Sorry to hear of Jim's passing. Like a few of us with photographic - inclinations, he took his opportunities when he could, although not all railwaymen were accomodating. His shot at Diggle on the pair of 2-8-0's always impressed me. He took the trouble to record the 'clearing a path' while he was there. The main road was barely clear through Uppermill but I doubt anyone would have made it to Diggle even on foot. Someone once told me he used a medium format folding camera that was held together with elastic bands. It doesnt suprise me as photography was an expensive game. The thing is, he took classic shots and showed that one didn't need expensive state of the art equipment to do that.....Just an eye for a picture.

Rest in peace Jim.

That is sad news. Over several days recently I've had the lovely little book, The Colour of Steam Vol 10. – From the Footplate, as my reference whilst weathering a loco. In it he acknowledges taking pictures to help modelmakers but many of his images are also beautiful works of art.

Archived