1:87 Modeling by Anders Malmberg

trisonic

I do like his techniques in rust/rust spots - they look very good and realistic (where-as my own attempts seem blotchy, no matter how many different methods I try).

His machine shop (on the next photo-page of his) has even more details than the garages it seems - I wonder if he spray painted all the tools and equipment first, or did he 'underpaint' (primer coat + heavily thinned base color to give subtle shadings to small details cast, such as tools cast into a workbench - old Model Railroader technique). For the sake of his eyesight, I hope he didn't brush paint all the details and glue them on the bench/wall piece by piece :blink:

As am I (and you) - personally I think it's a shame that he is getting into 1:35 scale. Mind you it's a tough crowd over there............... My faint criticism is that the working gas pump is too weathered - like a junk yard find - but you cannot take away from his modeling ability......

Best, Pete.

As a lover of tools and workshops, I cannot believe what this site contains. My old FiL bless him, was a toolmaker and had a small workshop in his garden that was just as full as the one depicted. Opening the door on a sunny day, the smell of oil and engineering materials just hit you.

Just looking at those pics had the same effect on my senses and the memories of that smell just came flooding back.

Amazing stuff...

Thanks Pete.

Where I grew up in Shenfield there was an old Garage called "Grange Motors" located next door to the Bird and Baby (The Eagle and Child) pub on Chelmsford Road. From the time I was about 8 until I used to take my Mini for its' MOT there the same old Bentley was in the front window - but the smell was memorable, a mix of leather, mineral and vegetable oils and leaded gasoline. Long gone alas.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

For me the most impressive part isn't the detail, but the shots of the garage in its setting against the simple backdrop. Possibly it's the lighting but it does have the understated air of something that's real; the interiors though hugely impressive remind me of the enhanced reality of a film set, they look to be trying just that bit too hard.

the interiors though hugely impressive remind me of the enhanced reality of a film set, they look to be trying just that bit too hard.

I agree - some of the spanners need to be off the wall, for a start. A little too neat. That takes nothing away from his modeling skills......

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I agree - some of the spanners need to be off the wall, for a start. A little too neat. That takes nothing away from his modelling skills......

Best, Pete.

Absolutely not, the work is top drawer.

Archived