N scale London Underground 1995 stock

Hi Paul,

I use Halfords primer and paint for my FUD models including sanding with no ill effect. In fact Halfords primer seems not to suffer at all from the problems others have reported on Shapeways's forum painting FUD with enamels.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening Gentelmen,

I finally received my first coach today, and I'll have to say, it looks great! I now have started assesing power chassis. my first investigation is this one we talked about before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorized-Chassis-TU-KIHA40000-2-motor-N-scale-/360403784122?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item53e9bd51ba#shId

From what I can tell, from estimation based on the ruler in the images, the wheel diameter is roughly 5mm, and the distance between the axel berings seems to be between 13mm and 14mm. The wheels I plan on using for the dummy truck are 5mm, and the distance between the Axel berings on the side frames seem to be 14mm, so this seems like a viable source for power trucks. Although, we will still have the motor sticking up vertically though the bassenger compartment. One concern I have is the height of the motor, I believe that they should be just short enough. I have purchaced one of these, and as soon as it shows up, I will start to dissasemble and test the concept, reports to follow. Shipping is from Japan, so it will probably be a while before I receive it.

Stay Tuned.....

Hi Delamaize

Glad you're pleased with the driving car. I haven't actually got one of the improved DMs yet, as Shapeways lost my order for a while - would you be able to post a few photos of it please?

Good luck with the chassis you found, I look forward to seeing how well it works out as it does seem to have a lot of potential.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

So, some bad news.

First my camrea decided it doesn't want to reconize the lenses, so no pictures.

Second, The chassis I bought isn't going to be an easily viable option to power the coaches. the entire assembly sits about .5 to 1mm too tall, and the axel spacing is wrong. In addition, each truck is only one axel powered, and electrical pickup is spotty at best. I am still on the hunt for a viable chassis, for now, I plan on making the Driving coach I have now a dummy. I think I am going to power it from the center of the consist, simmular to what Bachmann did with their American Acela express consist.

thanks,

Mike

Not sure, but I think a Tomytec TM-07 might do the job, with a bit cut off the front and rear frame. The bogie wheelbase may be a bit bigger than required for a true scale. Not something you normally get to say about these chassis.

I don't have one of Pauls models or a chassis to hand, but I have done some CAD work on something similar and overlayed a picture of the chassis to check.

The only way to be sure is to check out physically and it will be while before I can do so with my own model I am CADing.

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested to know if they have the Portram chassis in stock (my reading of their site is that they don't, but will order it in if they can get it) as that is the cheapest I have seen them by a long way plus they seem pretty hard to get hold of.

Cheers, Mike

• 4 weeks later...

After a quite a delay, a package has arrived from Shapeways today containing the two driving cars needed to give me a four car set.

PC070165b.jpg

This is current version, which is slightly improved over the prototype print which I already have.

PC070171.JPG

Now I need to get on with cleaning and painting.

Paul

• 3 months later...

Hi Roger,

I'm still painting my 95 stock train, so haven't fitted couplings yet, but I'm probably going to use a simple wire hook and loop between cars. It needs to be pretty low profile due to the low height of the tube stock floors.

Many thanks,

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When you think about the time it would take for you to scratch build a set of 2mm cars to the same standard they are very cheap and an RTR set be probably more than £250 so again the 3D printed  very good value.

Paul has designed an excellent model with a lot of detail given the tolerances of the printing material.   :imsohappy: 

Pete

Archived