Avon Junction

ColinW

As it has been a while since I put any photos' up, here are some showing some of the work that we have done.

post-5107-0-73907200-1331997519.jpg

Here is the second 3 road fiddleyard board with the new longer bolt on extension fitted. The long train is the Southern special we run in our timetable made up of a T9 and 4 Hornby Maunsells. It was commented by the gentleman that built the layout, how well the layout looked with the longer trains.

post-5107-0-31056000-1331997533.jpg

Having set the layout up at Tenterden, here are a couple of photos showing the layout under the lights, we have fitted, although we may have to look at making up a light for each end to light up the scenery at each end <_< . You can see the original fiddleyard with the through goods, GWR passenger service and local goods waiting to go.

post-5107-0-43918500-1331997549.jpg

Under the lights from the other end of the layout.

post-5107-0-40554500-1331997595.jpg

As mentioned earlier, we had a Swindon built 8F running at Tenterden, here it is on the GWR passenger service. This loco has the GWR markings and routing codes on it.

post-5107-0-48201800-1331997619.jpg

An ovehead view of the diesel railcar sat on the signal, waiting clearance into the station.

post-5107-0-43494100-1331998712.jpg

View over the river looking at railcar waiting on the signal.

Colin

Edited by ColinW
  • Like 3

Ok, so we have now had time to recover (!) from the Tenterden show (in my case it is literally recover as I had a severe back strain during that week) and to think about what we will be doing next. At the moment we currently aren't booked to appear at any shows, although several clubs have shown an interest in us possibly attending future shows. There is some work that the group of us have discussed about possibly taking place before we take the layout out again :rolleyes:, and this will include the (probable) CDU failure at Tenterden, possibly replacing all the Seep point motors with Fulgrex motors after we have seen how well they have worked in the fiddleyards (the double slips are definitely being considered anyway, the one leading into the goods yard is prone to having broken blades caused by the harsh throw from the motor), the bolt-on extensions will be wired up to allow trains to progress fully into the fiddleyards. A new stock shelf is to be built for the newer 3 road fiddleyard as well, and we are considering using a new sequence at exhibitions with more trains & movements. Will be able to keep you up dated when we have arranged working days for the layout. :unsure:

I see that we have now passed 5000 views for this thread, I hope that you have enjoyed what has been put on here regarding the layout. :)

Colin

A couple more pictures taken recently:

post-5107-0-78013100-1332429559.jpg

The 8F approaches Avon Junction platform with passenger service.

post-5107-0-81935300-1332429574.jpg

As mentioned, we now have a Bachmann Collet 0-6-0 Goods with ROD tender. Here it is in the fiddleyard on the B set waiting to depart. What got me about this was the fact they still used the original Mainline coupling bar between the locomotive and the tender, you had to make sure they were coupled before placing on track.

post-5107-0-75078500-1332429586.jpg

A country scene. This is part of the scenery that hides the newer fiddleyard.

Colin

Edited by ColinW
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of photos of the first of the uncouplers being fitted into the layout. Again apologies about the standard of the pics, only have my mobile available to take the pics with.

post-5107-0-27917100-1320504616.jpg

Uncoupling plate in position on track, next to cattle dock.

post-5107-0-58558400-1320504650.jpg

The point motor that activates the uncoupler being fited in position. The block also acts as a limiter on how high the point motor will raise the uncoupler.

post-5107-0-12034400-1320504659.jpg

The uncoupler being electrically tested before being wired up to the layout.

Will hopefully have the other 4 made and fitted before we go to Brighton next week.

Colin

Colin, if you want some more pristine photos of the uncouplers let me know as I have a special setting on my camera that would allow me to take them much more clearly. Let me know if interested.

Edited by GWR-Fanatic

Colin, if you want some more pristine photos of the uncouplers let me know as I have a special setting on my camera that would allow me to take them much more clearly. Let me know if interested.

Thanks for the offer Matt. At the moment we are trying to arrange working days on the layout to carry out the point motor replacement & a new control panel facia, and this will be of higher importance to the layout, especially as we have now had an invite to go to Chelmsford in October, but this hasn't been confirmed by the Chelmsford club yet.

Colin

Thanks for the offer Matt. At the moment we are trying to arrange working days on the layout to carry out the point motor replacement & a new control panel facia, and this will be of higher importance to the layout, especially as we have now had an invite to go to Chelmsford in October, but this hasn't been confirmed by the Chelmsford club yet.

Colin

Totally Understandable, being such a well exhibited layout, maintenance is top priority, come to think of it, that is most relevant to any layout. Nevertheless The offer remains open for future opportunity.

Thanks.

Totally Understandable, being such a well exhibited layout, maintenance is top priority, come to think of it, that is most relevant to any layout. Nevertheless The offer remains open for future opportunity.

Thanks.

I have no doubt that you will hear when the layout will be going out to an exhibition or if we will be having a day(s) playing with it before it goes out.

Colin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As I have mentioned in the recent comments on here, we are looking at the point motors and electrics on the layout, so here are a few pictures to show what we currently have. For those of you that are scared of electrics, of a nervous disposition or prefer DCC operation loook away now :O

post-5107-0-25452400-1335256390_thumb.jpg

This is the main control panel facia. As can be seen each track is colour coded and this relates to the controllers we use. It is possible to have up to three trains running at the same time, but we haven't been brave enough to see this happen yet!

post-5107-0-27889600-1335256405_thumb.jpg

This part of the control panel shows the hidden fiddleyard area, the LED's are part of an IRDOT system to allow the main controller to see where the trains are in the hidden fiddleyard, especially handy when the 3 road fiddleyard in front of it is full, as viewing then becomes very limited.

post-5107-0-45254800-1335256420_thumb.jpg

A quick look inside the control panel. I am currently having to label all the wires for when work commences.

post-5107-0-04934100-1335256432_thumb.jpg

And for those that really hate wiring (or those that love the birds nests that hide under layouts :jester: :sarcastichand: )

To give you a bit more insight into the operational side of the layout, we use a Gaugemaster twin controller, each control knob is marked as either black or red (the red one can control the whole layout) and we have a single controller with a hand held unit that can control the goods yard area (blue). These can be used independently by use of some centre off DPDT switches on the panel.

Colin

Edited by ColinW
  • Like 1

As I have mentioned in the recent comments on here, we are looking at the point motors and electrics on the layout, so here are a few pictures to show what we currently have. For those of you that are scared of electrics, of a nervous disposition or prefer DCC operation loook away now :O

post-5107-0-25452400-1335256390_thumb.jpg

This is the main control panel facia. As can be seen each track is colour coded and this relates to the controllers we use. It is possible to have up to three trains running at the same time, but we haven't been brave enough to see this happen yet!

post-5107-0-27889600-1335256405_thumb.jpg

This part of the control panel shows the hidden fiddleyard area, the LED's are part of an IRDOT system to allow the main controller to see where the trains are in the hidden fiddleyard, especially handy when the 3 road fiddleyard in front of it is full, as viewing then becomes very limited.

post-5107-0-45254800-1335256420_thumb.jpg

A quick look inside the control panel. I am currently having to label all the wires for when work commences.

post-5107-0-04934100-1335256432_thumb.jpg

And for those that really hate wiring (or those that love the bids nests that hide under layouts :jester: :sarcastichand: )

To give you a bit more insight into the operational side of the layout, we use a Gaugemaster twin controller, each control knob is marked as either black or red (the red one can control the whole layout) and we have a single controller with a hand held unit that can control the goods yard area (blue). These can be used independently by use of some centre off DPDT switches on the panel.

Colin

And I think my control panel is complicated! :D

And I think my control panel is complicated! :D

I did say for those scared of electrics to look away Matt :no: , There is nothing complicated about the panel, its just a case of us needing to make sure we know what wires go where, as there is the possibility of a new panel facia being made and that will allow us to just unsolder the wires on this facia and swap them to the new switches on the new facia.

Colin

I did say for those scared of electrics to look away Matt :no: , There is nothing complicated about the panel, its just a case of us needing to make sure we know what wires go where, as there is the possibility of a new panel facia being made and that will allow us to just unsolder the wires on this facia and swap them to the new switches on the new facia.

Colin

Ah... now I'm not implying I'm scared of electrics, merely completely, utterly and totally befuddled by them. :)

There's just no keeping you out of the underside of a layout Colin, is there?

Are you sure you're not a frustrated S&T engineer?

Anyway, looks quite simple to me.

The problem has been the P-way side Graham, the seep point motors harshness have frequently caused point blades to break away, so having used the Fulgrex point motors in both the fiddleyards, we are now looking to fit them to both the double slips and probably the crossover as well. We are also looking to interlock the points when route setting where possible, again reasonably simple.

Colin

Hmmmm.

I won't be down tomorrow but perhaps another solution would be to tone down the power of the throw. What's the input voltage to the CDU?

Interlocking of points? Route setting? So you are transferring to S&T?

Hmmmm.

I won't be down tomorrow but perhaps another solution would be to tone down the power of the throw. What's the input voltage to the CDU?

Interlocking of points? Route setting? So you are transferring to S&T?

Hi Graham,

The power to the CDU was (we believe it deceased on the Sunday afternoon at Tenterden :unsure:) directly from a seperate transformer. There was also some issues with the motors not firing all the way over. The Fulgrex motors run off of 12v DC and we already have the connections under the board for these from the ones in the fiddleyards. As to the other work there are only 3 areas that can be interlocked, and one of them already is (and with the protecting signal). The main work is going to be done by Chris B from the club (well he is a signalling engineer) and I am more of a labourer this time.

Colin

Hi Graham,

The power to the CDU was (we believe it deceased on the Sunday afternoon at Tenterden :unsure:) directly from a seperate transformer. There was also some issues with the motors not firing all the way over. The Fulgrex motors run off of 12v DC and we already have the connections under the board for these from the ones in the fiddleyards. As to the other work there are only 3 areas that can be interlocked, and one of them already is (and with the protecting signal). The main work is going to be done by Chris B from the club (well he is a signalling engineer) and I am more of a labourer this time.

Colin

Ah! Your apprenticeship starts, not so young Padawan.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had a working day on Saturday, doing some of the smaller jobs to the layout, including wiring in the bolt-on extensionpieces for the fiddleyards, fitting a stock tray for the newer 3 road fiddleyard, and some minor scenic work, as well as carrying out some preparation work for the electrical work to take place in the near future. We have also had it confirmed that the layout will be at Chelmsford in October this year (come and say hello if you attend), and we also received an invite for Broadstairs, although this will be for 2013 now.

Colin

• 2 months later...

Its been some time since we posted anythnig here, and that is because nothing has happened. We have been planning on fitting the Fulgurex point motors to the layout and making a new control panel facia, but as with anything planned, a minor hitch appears, we can't get hold of the point motors at the moment :banghead: . This has meant that I have changed the CDU and point probe to get the control panel working again. As the layout will be attending exhibitions in Chelmsford and Lancing in October & November, we will be looking to do the work after these shows ( due to work commitments we didn't want to get to close to show dates and not be able to test the panel or motors!). The layout is being put up tomorrow for us to have a play, and do any minor repairs to the scenery, so some more photos may appear in the near future.

Colin

• Like 1

We had a good day yesterday having a play with the layout. There was only a couple of minor snags that were quickly sorted out ;) . Something we did try was a new timetable to possibly use at exhibitions in the future (if anyone else has us :rolleyes: ) which allows us more use of the variety of stock we have, and for more movements on the layout.

post-5107-0-05538100-1343637102_thumb.jpg

The newer fiddleyard crammed with stock ready for testing the new sequence. There are 5 trains in there.

post-5107-0-36675100-1343637112_thumb.jpg

Overhead view of the station area, with the goods yard looking very busy.

post-5107-0-06885300-1343637127_thumb.jpg

Pannier shunting some wagons from the goods shed, whilst the railcar sits in the bay and the GWR passenger service departs.

Colin

• 2 months later...

This is a quick reminder to those of you that may be attending, Avon Junction will be at the Chelmsford & District MRC exhibition on Saturday 20th October, and we will also be attending the West Sussex N gauge association at Lancing on Saturday November 3rd. Come and say hello.

Colin

Hi colin.

Just been looking through this post. The layout looks good. Look forward to seeing it at chelmsford.

Phil

Thanks Phil, Chelmsford will be Avon Junction's second visit to Essex. Not sure if we will be using our usual timetable, or the new one (will need to check!) Please say hello.

Colin