queensquare

Foxcote New Pit - formerly Highbury Colliery

I never had any problems with the tortoise contacts on the 0 gauge exhibiton layout I had with only 5 turnouts ( two crossovers and a single turnout)  on a layout were it was all shunting they were used quite intensively. One thing to watch is to set the mid point of the throw to the middle of the blade throw and adjust the fulcrum to give sufficient movement. If the movement is too much to one side or insufficient the contacts may not be operated properly.  The great advantage of the tortoise stall type is they are self adjusting in that the motor will just stall when the blades meet the rail. So if things expand it will just stall at a different point in the throw hence the need to make sure there is sufficient movement. A bit of flexibility in the operating wire helps. 

Don 

I'm pondering (not very urgently) the question of point motors myself. Trouble is I'm not convinced that any of them are reliable. The thing that put me off Tortoises was the article (in MRJ?) a while back on how to make them reliable... basically by replacing a whole bunch of their innards.

I have a minor involvement with the Burntisland P4 layout (it has a lot of turnouts).   Over the summer, we've had a "Tortoise refurbishment programme".  The motors themselves have been totally reliable, the issue is the sliding contacts for switching frogs (etc), those can, over many years, become unreliable, so we've ended up adding external microswitches in a similar way to the MRJ article.  

Apart from mechanical push-rods, I've still not yet seen an ideal turnout motor.  Different models suffer from noise, reliability, bulk, and so on.   The most recent layout I've been working on uses servos for the movement, and relays (connected via same switch gear)  for power switching.  It works, but there is the buzz from a servo as it moves. 

Any S&D layout set from the 1890s to the 1950s will require at least one of these distinctive 20T brake vans - I want several!

Following several failed attempts to reliably cut and shut a six wheel brake van chassis I finally asked Bob Jones to etch the chassis for me which he has now done. I have had a sheet of them done which will leave a dozen or so spare. I will be selling them, not sure of price yet as I haven't had an invoice from Bob but will be around  £7-£8 each plus p&p - the aim is just to spread some of the cost of the photo tool.

It will be a first come, first serve basis and, unless I get inundated with requests which is unlikely, I probably wont do another run. PM me if interested.

Jerry

post-1074-0-33876400-1536842648_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Just to clarify as I've had several questions regarding the underframe etches over on the 2mm VAG I've attached a scan of the two 6 wheel underframes I have available. This isn't a commercial venture, I had them produced for my own needs and the most convenient way was to get a couple of sheets done which has left me with a few of each spare.

The 6 wheel coach underframes are £11 each and the brake vans £6 plus p&p.

post-1074-0-76404700-1538129652_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Firstly, apologise for taking so long to get any pictures up but Kim and I stayed on in York for a couple of days after the show and then had Trainwest in Melksham the following weekend with my good friends John Greenwood and Phil Coppleston staying for a weekend of playing trains with Wenfordbridge.

Anyway York was a superb show with ourselves and Copenhagen Fields flying the 2FS flag. The habit of having guest locos on Highbury which can come out and do a turn if I think there is somebody out front who would appreciate the chance to see something different and not moan about its ' inapropriteness' is, I'm glad to say, gaining momentum and York turned up some real gems.

On saturday we had Tim's MR Well tank which made a fine sight heading the Frome market cattle train. After lunch, Richard Wilson arrived with a couple of beautifuly finished MR coaches.

attachicon.gifIMG_0174.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0177.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0185.JPG

to be continued........

Hi Jerry is there any way of finding out who does the kits for these coaches

John

Jerry

Firstly, apologise for taking so long to get any pictures up but Kim and I stayed on in York for a couple of days after the show and then had Trainwest in Melksham the following weekend with my good friends John Greenwood and Phil Coppleston staying for a weekend of playing trains with Wenfordbridge.

Anyway York was a superb show with ourselves and Copenhagen Fields flying the 2FS flag. The habit of having guest locos on Highbury which can come out and do a turn if I think there is somebody out front who would appreciate the chance to see something different and not moan about its ' inapropriteness' is, I'm glad to say, gaining momentum and York turned up some real gems.

On saturday we had Tim's MR Well tank which made a fine sight heading the Frome market cattle train. After lunch, Richard Wilson arrived with a couple of beautifuly finished MR coaches.

attachicon.gifIMG_0174.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0177.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0185.JPG

to be continued........

Jerry

Edited by Coal Tank

The return consignment will of course be sent via the Midland route, thence North British to Peebles.

Apologies for the quality of these photos, but these are two of the more recent additions to Jerry's stud I had the pleasure of running at the Cardiff show over the weekend.

20191020_142210.jpg.9b6b2fcbb6655f9840582100c695275d.jpg

20191019_143438.jpg.5c79f3066bbb1d68653569944d16c399.jpg

If one day any of my locos are as reliable as these and the rest of Jerry's locos were over the weekend, I'd be a happy man.

Simon

• Like 15