Dual Gauge Layout (Notlob Wharf)

mega_mort

My first 009 layout and possibly the first 00 layout I may finish (there have been many causalities along the way). The idea for this was made in a toy shop in Munich where a window display had a HOe and HO loco sat on the same piece of track. One quick trip to Arcadia and the layout was born.

Unsure where to base the layout yet, be it in Wales as small slate and stone line, or due to the NSE stock I have weather to move it to the south east so I have a use for the stock. The final and more likely option is that is a mad person preservation folly so a can run what ever i like on it and this could be any where in the country.

This was on the old RMweb but got put on hold while my dads layout was finished (is a layout ever finished???), but as that is now going into storage and Bolton model railway club has finally sorted out its finances and the rooms we rent its back to work on this one. A further 2' has been added since the last post on the old forum and the whole thing in now wired and operational (woo-hoo), the scenic work has started, here's a few of the more up to date photos.

post-2595-1258922567792_thumb.jpg

post-2595-12589225937702_thumb.jpg

post-2595-12589226190202_thumb.jpg

More to follow as the work continues

Bit more work done tonight, finished ballasting the track work, (once dried got to see if points work). Done some of the scenery and added the magnets for the Greenwich couplings to the track. Now the hole track work is ballasted need to fine the DCC controller and check if it all still works fine, will probably need to clean the track first though, PVA is a great insulator :rolleyes:, any way here's a few pictures

post-2595-1259103177179_thumb.jpg

post-2595-12591032086485_thumb.jpg

post-2595-12591032407032_thumb.jpg

Very little work done today on the layout, just added a little more scenery and added another building or two, also started work on the loading dock but that isn't ready for a picture yet. The splashes of white are PVA from when affixing the scenery to the layout the syringe in use decided to have a blow out and lightly cover everything near by any way here's a couple more pics of the layout in progress.

post-2595-12592751060893_thumb.jpg

post-2595-12592751249354_thumb.jpg

Now to clean the track and connect DCC equipment and see if the whole thing goes and make sure I've not filled the points with glue.

Didn't get chance to test the running of the layout spent more time finishing off the construction of the loading dock and the platform. Now the construction of them is sort of complete, still need to think how I'm going to do the end of the platform. Hopefully I will also get some painting of the platform and loading dock done, but I doubt it:rolleyes:. Now I really must test the electrics on this thing (read - play trains:D) . Here's a picture of the loading dock and the platform.

post-2595-12597077403745_thumb.jpg

post-2595-12597077615576_thumb.jpg

Nothing much happened tonight apart from the loading dock and platform got a thin wash of cream to look like mortar so once that's dried I can go on and do the insane thing of picking out every stone with one of 3/4 stone or slate colours (I must be mad:rolleyes:), will get on and clean the track once I find some thing that can take off the PVA I've spilt on the track while blasting,

Thanks for the kind comment, be a long time before this makes it to an exhibition as the some total of 009 stock I have at the minute is on the layout bar locos.

Any way the loading dock has had an attack from a paint brush and the platform now has a shaped end to it, and I've started to clean the track but this could take for ever spilt way to much PVA on it only managed to clean about 6" of track work before it was time to leave the club rooms:(. Any way here's a picture of the new loading dock.

post-2595-12603124732411_thumb.jpg

That's only a third of the loading dock (gulp), the second third is under construction (see below). There is now thoughts of scrapping the cassette fiddle yard and building a 4'x9" pointed fiddle yard and the 2" foot cassette base becoming another scenic section :blink:. Any way that's still on the drawing board at the minute, (2 points test laid on the board, shed placed, and part numbers and price of required track work noted down:rolleyes:).

post-2595-12604856967828_thumb.jpg

Only a small amount of progress done today as sound chipping Bachmann 25, just built t'other side of the loading dock, this is possibly the last time I can work on the layout till the new year as the club rooms will be shut. But I can still do the paint job on the loading dock and platform. Any way heres how to loading dock is going to look:-

post-2595-1261088564104_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally got a chance to work on the layout over this week, as the layout is stored at the local railway club and with the snow recently this week has been the only chance I've had of getting at it :angry: , but being a big kid in the snow was fun :P . Just redesigned the layout slighty, added 4 foot to the lenght of it, removed the cassette fiddle yard and turning that little but into a senic section with engine shed and facilities, and the new 4 foot will be a normal fan fiddle yard. Back scene will be made once a little more work has been done to the base boards, basically a few extensions to the width of the boards in places which may mean trying to build a curved back seen (should be fun :blink: ) I'll may post a few pictures later this week when i can get back to the layout.

Echoes of Tywyn Wharf on the Talyllyn there, and Gordon & Maggie Gravett's "Llandydref" in the model world. I wish you well with it, it's 20+ years since I did any really serious 009 modelling, but everything is boxed up awaiting the day. That's one of the great things about RMWeb, it's such an inspiration - now, I only have to be strong willed enough to put the computer down!

Looking forward to following progress. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for comment, it will look very much like the TR just with out the 90+ degree bend on the yard everything will be side by side, my excuse is that I'm a working volunteer on the TR. Currently the loco stock is 2 TR locos and a Glyn loco but that may change as time goes on, hope to do all the TR locos if I can. Now the base for the extension is in and secure just need to start on putting the back scene up and start working out the last part of the loading dock and the station new track work etc, any way before the list gets to long heres an attempt of photographing the entire layout in one go.

post-2595-12651513231303_thumb.jpg

This started out at 3'8" by 9", its now 12' ish by a 1' ish at the widest part :icon_wow: . Hope fully this is the last growth spurt for this layout, and i can get on and finish the thing.

Started on the curved back scene last night and after 1 hour gave up the ply just wouldn't bend :angry: , now for a slight redesign (number 20 i think :blink: ) and now going for an angled back seen once a bit more of the base boards have been bodged (more fun with saw woohoo). Also finally completed the dowels on the latest addition to the board so the club can now have the G clamps back that have been holding it together for the past few months.

Archived