My 2mm FS work

Valentin

Hello,

I'm new to 2mm Railway Modelling. I used to model in N gauge (continental) but, looking for a new challenge, three months ago I became a member of 2mm Scale Association.

Listen to the more experienced modellers advice I decided that my first 2mm model should be a conversion, to have it quick. I chose BR Class 24 (D5013, green, late crest) because this engine (or at least D5012) hauled goods train in Southeastern Region (Faversham) and I intend to build my first 2mm layout around Faversham Goods Yard (actually, I've already started).

I posted some photos here.

And here is the beginning of my layout, an extended Inglenook shunting puzzle (4' x 1'):

The baseboard:

IMG_0532.jpg

The Templot plan (many thanks to Keith) stuck on the baseboard using 3M Spray Mount:

IMG_0697.jpg

And the first laid track (PCB sleepers), which has been built 'in situ' though I'll build the point work off-site:

IMG_0701.jpg

• RMweb Premium

You have made a good start there, shall look forward to seeing this progress. Having the head shunt forming part of the inglenook is clever.

Thank you Kris!

@Weekday Cross: I was thinking very seriously to build the points on site but I learnt it's easier off-site. Now that you're telling me that I shouldn't have big problems because the size of my baseboard I'm going to build the first point 'in situ' and, if it's too difficult, I'll move off-site.

Agree with Weekday Cross, I always build my pointwork in situ with no problems.

Apart from not having to worry about transferring it to the board, the flow of the trackwork always seems so much more pleasing to the eye.

... but I am just a bit curious as to why your not using Easitrac for non point work?

Hello Tom,

I was thinking to use Easitrac for ordinary tracks and PCB slippers for points but I was put off by the difference in height between them.

And another reason: I like soldering. biggrin.gif

Hello Valentin.

Thats lovely neat work there, its comming along really well. Its great to see another 2mmFS layout on RMWeb.

And another reason: I like soldering. biggrin.gif

You should have no trouble with 2mmFS then, you will fit in just fine....!

Missy ;)

There is no difference if you use chairplates.

I'm too unexperienced in track building to use them on my first layout.

But definitely I'll use more advanced techniques for my next layout (I dream to a 2mm FS DBSR layout).

Please don't ask me why I chose this original way to feed the rails with power but I was soooo keen to see my recently converted BR Class 24 running, even if only for a few inches, and not having too many materials at hand...

If anyone has better options and / or pictures, I will be more than happy to learn.

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

My first point; I started to build it off-site, just to see if I can build one. It is not finished yet (no tie-bar). Up to this stage, I'm happy with the result but I'm more than happy to hear other opinions. I have "tested" it with my Class 24 because I have no other FS rolling stock or wheels... By the way, what wheels should I get to convert a Graham Farish wagon (377-025 - 5 plank steel floor wagon "Hopton-Wood Stone Firms")?

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

• 3 months later...

My layout's progress is small but I'm not in rush as my first goal is to learn as much as I can about 2mm FS.

I really enjoy building tracks and points using PCB slippers and I can say I've improved my technique quite much.

I used different ways to build the track: using the jig, in-situ and half-half. Some of the rails were laid in 60 ft (120 mm) lengths and for some of them I've been using the whole length.

The quickest and easiest way for me was to use the jig but this is not always possible as very often I needed to build curved track; so half of a length should be build in-situ. In this case I've learned that is very easy to solder 3 or 4 slippers at a time using blobs of solder (Carr's 145) - my wife helped a lot in cutting them :) - and tweezers.

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

• RMweb Gold

You can use a jig to do double lengths. Using a long length of rail fill the jig with sleepers and fix the rail then move the rail and sleepers along to allow another load of sleepers to be put in the jig and fixed. Place onto the layout then fix he second rail. This makes it easier to get smooth curves.

Don

Hi Valentin. Good to see someone else starting out in 2mm on here. So much to learn, but you've made a really good job of it so far, by the look of it. One beginner's lesson from me: when it gets to 3 a.m. and you still can't get something to go right, give up and go to bed. It'll be easier the following morning........... :)

• 2 months later...

Point timbers were expensive compared to those for plain track. Railways would try and use as few as possible, within reason. To be "prototypical", I would treat all the pointwork as normal points and add normal sleepers inbetween to fill the gaps. On the diagonal road in your image, I would place the sleepers in the gaps between adjacent sleepers, rather than as they are printed out on your plan. This is a very generalised explanation. Often, in non-standard situations, or where sleepers had been replaced, even big main line companies would bodge it a bit.

It would certainly be easier for you to just put long point sleepers across the whole formation. As it is your railway, the choice is yours!

Guest Natalie Graham

It would certainly be easier for you to just put long point sleepers across the whole formation. As it is your railway, the choice is yours!

There's no reason you couldn't build the points that way and then cut the timbers once they are built.

Archived