Improving an old Hornby Fowler 2-6-4 Tank

The friend who is giving me some old Hornby coaches has also given me an old Hornby Fowler 2-6-4, LMS scheme No2300. It runs....okay, but will need a good clean up to remove a lot of dust and muck but I want to improve the body shell and make it a bit more up to modern standards so are there any detailing kits out there and what other parts would be a good idea to fit?

I'm on a tight budget for this with a maximum of £30 to spend on this so replacing the chassis and the motor will be out of the question, just improving the general appearance.

• 3 weeks later...

A number of LMS and general detailing castings are available from 247 Developments - Click here for list. Probably best to catch 'em at shows, so you can actually see what you're buying.

Some general parts also available from Craftsman Models - Click here for PDF list

Very fine brass parts may be had from Brassmasters - Click here

Puffers / Perseverance used to do a whole bunch of detail kits and components specifically for the Fowler 2-6-4Ts, including the later side-window cab version. Although long out of production, some do turn up secondhand at shows or on eBay occasionally.

Archived