Repairs On N Gauge Minitrix Locos

Dear All

I am wondering if anyone can help me?

I have been given 2 A4 Sir Nigel Gresleys that have been taken apart and no longer work. I have had a look and a little bit of a play but I can't get them to work.

The motors are working fine but there are some wires not connected and I believe the gear rods might be bent but I honestly don't know.

Do you know anyone who fancies a challenge and see if they can get them both working for me? I am not interested in selling them, I want them for a new layout I am designing at present. I guess they would need to go to someone who has taken apart these items before and can see straight away if anything is damaged.

Now here's the bad bit, I am currently unemployed so don't have much if any money and can't really afford to pay anyone loads to get them working. But I am graphic design so happy to do some work for you if you want, posters, brochures, business cards etc.

Many thanks for anyone who is able to help, I really appreciated it.

Chris Collins

I never knew that Frank Skinner was an N-gauge modeller tongue.gif

Chris, here's a bounce for your plea, which having read it, seems to have merit. It might be worth saying what part of the world you're in, in case the open-ended nature of the question is putting people off. Of course, if you are actually on Mull it might make things a bit awkward!

• 1 year later...
Dear All

I am wondering if anyone can help me?

I have been given 2 A4 Sir Nigel Gresleys that have been taken apart and no longer work. I have had a look and a little bit of a play but I can't get them to work.

The motors are working fine but there are some wires not connected and I believe the gear rods might be bent but I honestly don't know.

Do you know anyone who fancies a challenge and see if they can get them both working for me? I am not interested in selling them, I want them for a new layout I am designing at present. I guess they would need to go to someone who has taken apart these items before and can see straight away if anything is damaged.

Now here's the bad bit, I am currently unemployed so don't have much if any money and can't really afford to pay anyone loads to get them working. But I am graphic design so happy to do some work for you if you want, posters, brochures, business cards etc.

Many thanks for anyone who is able to help, I really appreciated it.

Chris Collins

Did you get a response for this problem ?

• RMweb Gold

Did you get a response for this problem ?

Hi JFHeath..

Yes - he did and it was dealt with via PM.

One of the a4's was repairable - the other was an A4 on an incorrect German loco chassis.

A bit of carving about was carried out to make it fit better but it turned out to have a heavy limp that wasn't curable without the expense of a full wheelset.

As Chris was on a tight budget - this wasn't done. and instead I made the loco run as smoothly as possible.

This involved some delicate tweaking of teh chassis and wheelsets .

The chassis to get it to sit square under the body.

The wheelsets to remove as much of the out of quarter twitch they had - this involved rebushing the wheel sets to go on the axles more squarely.

Hope the information helps!

I still have a limited amount of Minitrix spares burried away in a box.

Were you looking for anything in particular?

Thanks

Hi JFHeath..

Yes - he did and it was dealt with via PM.

One of the a4's was repairable - the other was an A4 on an incorrect German loco chassis.

A bit of carving about was carried out to make it fit better but it turned out to have a heavy limp that wasn't curable without the expense of a full wheelset.

As Chris was on a tight budget - this wasn't done. and instead I made the loco run as smoothly as possible.

This involved some delicate tweaking of teh chassis and wheelsets .

The chassis to get it to sit square under the body.

The wheelsets to remove as much of the out of quarter twitch they had - this involved rebushing the wheel sets to go on the axles more squarely.

Hope the information helps!

I still have a limited amount of Minitrix spares burried away in a box.

Were you looking for anything in particular?

Thanks

No.  I just came across the post and was going to offer some help - even though it was posted 18 months ago.  I seem to be building up a small stock of Minitrix bits and pieces, and enjoy working on them.  But the locos always seem to develop the same fault - broken plastic slide on the valve mechanism or broken crankpin for the eccentric rod.  I have yet to find a good way of re-creating either of these components.

Sounds like you did a good job on the A4s for him !

Hi JFheath an scottish modeller, I have a fair amount of minitrix spares taken from taken from the Trix K4s I think the chassis is the same as the Brit if you need anything as I use the bodies for kitbashing. Only thing I am short is a 9F motor.

I was hoping I might find some info on how to get my Britannia running (need the chassis but not the body)

Ironically I'm in the same position as Sidney, a not employed graphic designer, except I'm wanting the chassis to sit under a Langley Streamlined Duchess body.

although all my stuff is in storage at the moment so not entirely sure where the loco has got to.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the interesting and informative responses!

A couple of points....

The various 4-6-2 chassis are not all the same!

You are right about the K4 though - it has the most common parts to the Brittania chassis.

Yes - there are common components between them but there is always something different - even if it's just the chassis casting.

The broken plastic slide on the valve gear is a very common fault!

If you search around on ebay and know what to look for you will find some models that have valve gear done at one time in metal - but it's hard to spot!

Early Minitrix 4-6-2's in the green and yellow box seem to be the most common source though.

You can fabricate a new bracket though and then gently melt it into the cylinder block to secure it.

The plastic crank pin failure is more difficult to resolve but you can - with the right tools - make your own from 3 pieces of brass (and a lot of sweat).

Thanks

Archived