Taking the (sound) plunge

Notanotherhobby

This is not meant as an excuse to debate the "which is best", but I am seriously wanting to take the next step in DCC, and that for me is sound.

I'm a modern (ish) image modeller, with a mix of Classes 08, 31, 37, 47, 59, 60 and 66's, some are old Hornby / Lima stock, and some are "DCC Ready" new stuff from Bachmann, Hornby and ViTrains, but all older stock are now converted (or in the process of being converted) to DCC. I have endeavoured to do the conversions on the older models using what I decribe as "fly leads" (8-pin sockets with loose leads) rather than cut the plugs off the chips.

So, down to the crunch. I'd love to buy a "DCC With Sound" loco, but paying the best part of £200 would not get passed by the Finance Minister (AKA the wife!!, or, "How much...?") so, I'm thinking more along the lines of converting an existing loco. Would you suggest I start my sound experience with a newer DCC ready model, and if so which would be the easiest to convert? I have a few Bachy 37's and 66's, a couple of Aunty Vi's 37's as well as a Hornby 59. Which of these would you choose as a first step?

If you were to suggest adding sound to one of the "conversions" these would be Lima 31 / 37 / 47 / 60's, which of these would you choose? (Notice I left out the class 08..not that daft!!)

Finally... which supplier?, do I go for the cheaper (to buy) Zimo, and if so which speaker should I add (or would the supplier advise?) or Howes, or.....what?

Sorry for the stupid new - boy type questions, but I don't want to plunge into this without careful consideration, and you guys and gals are the experts.

Please be gentle...

• RMweb Premium

My first bought sound fitted loco was a Bachman 37 (049) from Digitrains and that cost me £145. I had the decoder reblown (that's getting a different sound on the decoder in case you haven't picked that jargon word up yet :rolleyes:) and lights altered at Olivia's but you might not need to do that, so less than £200!! I have learnt that I could have got a better reblow from other sources, but that's hindsight!

However, you sound like you know a bit about the game, but before you really take the plunge do more research and perhaps join DEMU. I've just tuned to Sound and discovered there's loads of stuff on the web about fitting (e.g Bromsgrove models and Trains 4 U). There are useful articles on hard wiring Lima stuff for example.

Before I actually went soundy I emailed Howes, Digitrains and Coastal DCC and spoke to a couple of experienced DCC modellers. All gave me time and tips galore and thus would get my business in future. I'm sure other suppliers would be just as helpful.

I know that DCC Supplies do workshops at a very reasonable cost too (Worcester) and one on fitting etc is coming up on August 19th I think

I fitted my own Loksound dec and speaker to a Baccy ready 47 last week; simples. However, I had got the 47 'free' for a swap and then the sound system cost me £96, so it's not a cheap game this sound stuff.

Fitting services are quite inexpensive really, but doing it yourself is fun. You just need to try different suppliers for sound projects as recommended on here.

Legomanbiffo of this and DEMU Parishes is a very good contact for reblows.

Good luck and as someone said to me last week, welcome to the dark side!!!!!

Phil @ 36E.

Having been through a similar exercise myself, I would recommend you don't bother with the Lima engines as the motors tend to be noisy and spoil the real sound you want to hear. For a first engine I would go for one with the most pickups, but I have had no problems with any of the DCC ready engines you mention - if you have a favourite go for it. But be warned - once you have one you are on a very slippery slope as you will want many more to have sound!

If you are modern image and you don't wish to construct your own diesel sound projects then all of the RTR suppliers will be glad to help you. In the UK that is all dealer based unless you buy a Bachmann or Hornby loco with sound fitted. At the moment we who do write our own projects are wrestling with the latest ESU decoder and software offering which seems to offer a new level of sophistication and automation.

Once mastered and with some necessary tweaks to the software, this will be a tough chip to beat but I fear it could be some time before the best results are obtained.

In the meantime there is the Zimo chip which can be made to ( in the right hands ) give very acceptable results.

Of course, there are any number of older V3.5 Loksound projects available but no older chips. Sound locos bough second hand will contain these older chips and projects. ESU is about 90% of the available market but the birth of V4 has dented that. Nevertheless, the older projects were and still are as good as it gets.

There are other sound chips but none of them have UK diesel sounds available.

Steam of course opens up a new can of worms and a much broader sound base to choose from and once you have got the chuff rate and the whistle sorted, a lot less fuss.

Archived