Wagons on the Workbench

2mm Andy

The road van does look delicately etched. Whose work is it?

Don

Hi Don,

It's the work of Chris Mills. There was a posting on the 2mm NEAG blog here a while ago which showed Chris's test build of the kit.

The etched strapping is very fine (I think mine has suffered slightly from over-etching as well, which makes it even more delicate!) but seems OK once it's in place on the body. I have lost one piece of strapping on the left hand door which I'll replace in due course.

The body is currently sitting slightly high on the chassis at one end, so I need to correct that as well as finish the rest of the detailing.

Andy

Thanks chaps,

I'm not sure about being to the same standard as David Long's soldering - that definitely is neat! :blink: And I do think 2mm is on the up at the moment. The steady stream of new products and innovation, and the quality modelling that appears on RMweb and elsewhere is proof of that!

I lined-up most of the wagons on my workbench last night - this was the result;

post-8055-0-15182300-1313226329_thumb.jpg

Most of these now need painting/lettering and all need DG couplings, so I'm going to concentrate on this (and some layout planning) shortly. I'm sure my soldering iron will breathe a sigh of relief!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Andy, you really are a man after my own heart - wagons as far as the eye can see! I look forward to some of these making a guest appearance on Mayfield Street at the Shipley show. Get that airbrush out.

Fully endorse the comment about using the RSU for the vac cylinders. Tin around the hole in the etch, add some flux, sit the cylinder down and apply the probe. Done with no hassle!

Oh and thanks for the compliment Bryn. I just maintain that there are so few stresses in 2 mil stock that overloading with solder is pointless and saves a lot of cleaning up afterwards.

David

Oh and thanks for the compliment Bryn. I just maintain that there are so few stresses in 2 mil stock that overloading with solder is pointless and saves a lot of cleaning up afterwards.

A compliment of the highest order, I look forward the day my soldering reaches your standard. My scrapers are wearing out due to the amount of solder I use :rolleyes:

I am trying to work out whether getting a RSU Iron would be beneficial..

A RSU is to a soldering iron as an airbrush is to a paint brush. Given enough time and practice a soldering iron can do all the jobs you'll ever require, personally I find an RSU much easier for certain jobs and I have been known to complete whole kits with nothing but an RSU. Before I brought mine, I was lucky enough to try out a friends to see if it suited me.

A RSU is to a soldering iron as an airbrush is to a paint brush. Given enough time and practice a soldering iron can do all the jobs you'll ever require, personally I find an RSU much easier for certain jobs and I have been known to complete whole kits with nothing but an RSU. Before I brought mine, I was lucky enough to try out a friends to see if it suited me.

Thanks for the insight Bryn.. I will bear this in mind as I am not 'yet' building rakes of hopper wagons!

Tom

Not to be too much of a mee-too-ist but really nice work Andy and you have a very tidy workbench sir! :) I am trying to work out whether getting a RSU Iron would be beneficial..

Tom

Tom,

To be fair, most of my tools were still packed away after a long weekend away. The workbench isn't usually that tidy!

As for the RSU, I agree with everything Bryn has said, and I would definitely try one out before you buy one. They do make some jobs very easy (and quick) but don't necessarily do anything that you can't teach yourself to do with a normal iron. I'm lucky to be able to borrow one from time to time, so I tend to save work for when I've got access to it. I may be able to bring it to the 2mm AGM if you want to have a go?

Andy

• 5 weeks later...

No that is a cunning means of making up some axleboxes. Very impressed with that.

It's a brilliant design, isn't it! Trying to solder-up four separate springs/boxes, with say 4 layers would be a total pain normally, but Stephen's design makes it a two minute job!

Mind you, if you think that's good, try one of the 16t mineral wagon kits that Bryn is going to build next month - they're even better!

Andy

do I spy a kettle on that very tidy workbench? :no:

Hi Nick,

Actually there are two (and a third if you count the set of etches and wheels for a Worsley Works LNER 'A8' in the stack of boxes in the background!

Nothing wrong with kettles (but that doesn't explain why I've never finished one!). One day.....

Andy

Mind you, if you think that's good, try one of the 16t mineral wagon kits that Bryn is going to build next month - they're even better!

I had seen that prospect and I was intending to watch it.

Not participate though, I'll stick with 4mm; even if I note that Pixie is showing worrying signs of not coming back from the dark side............!!!!

Joshing aside, it is interesting to see how other minds have confronted issues - there are tricks to be picked up from the other scales and even hobbies.

I had seen that prospect and I was intending to watch it.

Not participate though, I'll stick with 4mm; even if I note that Pixie is showing worrying signs of not coming back from the dark side............!!!!

Joshing aside, it is interesting to see how other minds have confronted issues - there are tricks to be picked up from the other scales and even hobbies.

Absolutely - I've been inspired by models in the other scales as much as 2mm scale. The problem comes when you realise how much smaller the models are in 2mm scale! I'm lucky in that my brother is a keen aircraft/military modeller, so I can pick his brains on different techniques from that area of the hobby, especially the painting and weathering side of things.

Pixie does seem to be settling into the dark side nicely. I can think of a few more P4 modellers who are dipping their toes in the 2FS water! :D

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Ooops! My modelling mojo has done a bit of a disappearing act recently, so progress on wagons (or anything else modelling related) has been non-existent.

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to have the company of Julia (aka 'Missy') for a pleasant afternoon trying out the Exactoscale RSU she had borrowed from the Oxford Area Group of the 2mm SA. The project we chose to have a go at was the replacement etched chassis for the Peco tank wagon (mainly 'cos this was the only kit I had with me at the time! :rolleyes:).

post-8055-0-57179700-1317401385_thumb.jpg

The wagon on the left is Julia's very neat work - that on the right is my not so neat work. The RSU made construction of the chassis very quick and easy, and we soon found that the lowest power setting was more than adequate for most work on the chassis.

post-8055-0-80330300-1317401374.jpg

Two more wagons are seen under construction in the background, and I have enough bits for a further 3 to make a rake. The etch also provides replacement ladders, catwalk and tie rods bracing the end stanchions of the wagons to the chassis. I've got the transfers (from Cambridge Custom Transfers) so when the weather cools down a bit I will get all the wagons finished and painted. If you want to see what they will hopefully look like when they're finished (apart from different logos on the side), have a look here. I'll be chuffed if I get them looking as good as these do!

Andy :D

Good effort guys, they have come out very nicely. I know what you mean about loss of mojo recently, I've done nothing for weeks!

I have fitted some couplers to a 153 DMU today. Not the Dapol one, if you get what I mean ;)

Thanks Bryn,

Must be a 2mm thing, this loss of mojo! I'm supposed to be finishing a few models for the AGM, but I'm still a little way off yet.

I presume they weren't DG couplings you fitted then?! (not sure I'd want to form the loops for 12":1ft versions of those!)

Andy

• 2 months later...

Well, my enthusiasm for modelling has taken another nosedive recently, but the Christmas break did allow me a bit of time to try and revive it. The Palbrick is a 2mm SA etched kit (sold as a pair of bodies to fit standard BR wagon chassis). Apart from a few fiddly bits (notably the securing mechanism for the load, which is what all those diddy handles are at the end of the body), it's a fairly straightforward build, although the RSU did come in handy for some of the more awkward parts. I elected to miss-off the capping strips on the end supports, and a set of cast oleo buffers finished things off nicely (although the nearest one looks a bit squiffy!).

post-8055-0-15231800-1325529839.jpg

There should be a few more gloat box projects coming shortly.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I elected to miss-off the capping strips on the end supports, and a set of cast oleo buffers finished things off nicely (although the nearest one looks a bit squiffy!)

Andy

Hi

Please could you let me know where you got the buffers from.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

They were obtained from the 2mm Central Shop about a year ago. A couple of the new cast buffer types were produced but some had flaws and were sold by the central shop at 2mm events as 'seconds', and these are some of those. The sprue on which these were bought had a couple of mis-cast buffer heads. I don't know if there are any still available - might be worth dropping the chief shopkeeper an email.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Archived