Doublehead class 25's on the Cambrian

• RMweb Premium

Several new images loaded up HERE but as usual a few that need some location help the year is 1977/1978.

25??? and 25187, cant quite make out the station nameboard is it Towyn?

p875616141-3.jpg

25066 and 25??? but again which station

p724682830-3.jpg

Just to break up the ratfest how about this one of 44004 on a railtour...It ran on several during 1977/8 which station might this be, almost nothing to go on I'm afraid.

p818020916-3.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I don't think the first one is Harlech - the loop's arranged differently as this view shows.

I'd go with it being Towyn/Tywyn - this view is a bit poor, but I could believe the loop, nameboard & fence arrangement are the same, plus that curve-topped building in the Geograph view is just about visible either side of the nameboard in Andy's pic. I also seem to remember that slight change of gradient in the distance....

• RMweb Premium

I don't think the first one is Harlech - the loop's arranged differently as this view shows.

I'd go with it being Towyn/Tywyn - this view is a bit poor, but I could believe the loop, nameboard & fence arrangement are the same, plus that curve-topped building in the Geograph view is just about visible either side of the nameboard in Andy's pic. I also seem to remember that slight change of gradient in the distance....

You can also just make out the milepost at the end of the platform...............Many thanks Towyn it is. :yes:

First shot definately Tywyn heading north.

Second shot I don't think is Cambrian. I'd suggest it was either N Wales coast or further north.

The white lining on the platform edge should be a giveaway, but sadly not to me.

Third piccy would be able to be narrowed down via sixbellsjunction who probably list all the class 44 specials.

2nd picture down looks like Barmouth before the footbridge was removed.

The car park left looks like where the Co-Op is now.

Cheers

frank

Edited to add.

On second thoughts It may not be Barmouth, looking a bit closer it doesn't look right.

I may be inclined to agree with Phil that it is not on the Cambrian line.

The track looks like flat bottomed rail where as far as I can recall Barmouth still has bullhead chaired track.

Sorry for confusion.

Frank

2nd picture down looks like Barmouth before the footbridge was removed.

The car park left looks like where the Co-Op is now.

Cheers

frank

Edited to add.

On second thoughts It may not be Barmouth, looking a bit closer it doesn't look right.

I may be inclined to agree with Phil that it is not on the Cambrian line.

The track looks like flat bottomed rail where as far as I can recall Barmouth still has bullhead chaired track.

Sorry for confusion.

Frank

I can't think of a station with curved platforms edged in that style, and with what appears to be a covered footbridge across the middle Frank.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the help so far....the second class 25 photo has a lot of town on a hill which suggests it isn't one of the North Wales resorts, nice and flat.

The one of 44004 I think I've narrowed the date and railtour down to 23/4/77 and thisRAILTOUR 44004 called only at Tamworth High Level, Hinckley and Leicester so it must be one of them.

• RMweb Premium

The picture of 25066 + 25? - the way the platform edge is painted suggests to me, Stirling? I know it's a long way from Wales but it does look the up main platform.

Graham

Found some other images which seem to confirm it as Stirling

Image 1

Image 2 from the opposite end of the station Station roofs wither side of the footbridge match,

The picture of 25066 + 25? - the way the platform edge is painted suggests to me, Stirling? I know it's a long way from Wales but it does look the up main platform.

Graham

Good shot Graham !

I was thinking Scotland but the Sassenach 25066 misled me !!

Look closer at rhe second sulzer and you can clearly see the St Rollox numbers, and the steam. "St Rollox Sulzers" in steam weren't so common south of Carlisle.

And those "dash dot dash" platform edges are of course Scottish !!!

The southbound platform at Tamworth High Level of course jumps out now it is suggested !!

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks gents for the help in naming the locations.....

Working on the principle that almost any information is available on the net the Class 25 website has the following information:-

25066 worked doubleheaded with 25026 on an Inverness to Birmingham relief ( as far as Mossend ) on 27/8/77. Pictures of 25026 show that it at least fills the correct sort of Class 25 criteria.

The Picture of 25187 at Towyn is not so clear cut as the following are possible

Doubleheaded with 25179 Charter to Porthmadog 29/5/77.

Doubleheaded with 25325 0845 New St to Barmouth 7/8/77.

Doubleheaded with 25262 Wellingboro to Barmouth Mystex 21/8/77.

Doubleheaded with 25145 0845 New St to Barmouth 4/9/77.

Doubleheaded with 25272 0410 Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth 26/7/80.

Doubleheaded with 25272 0845 New St to Barmouth 27/7/80.

Doubleheaded with 25090 0740 Euston to Aberystwyth 13/6/81.

All of these are the correct body style of class 25 as well which doesn't help.

As all the other slides in the batch have been earlier than 1980 I susspect its one of the first 4 options.

Many thanks gents for the help in naming the locations.....

Working on the principle that almost any information is available on the net the Class 25 website has the following information:-

25066 worked doubleheaded with 25026 on an Inverness to Birmingham relief ( as far as Mossend ) on 27/8/77. Pictures of 25026 show that it at least fills the correct sort of Class 25 criteria.

Gonna chuck a coupla curve balls in here ACG5324 !!!

I reckon the second engine multi'ed to 25066 is a dual brake ScR class 25, which means 25026 is not an option. 25026 was scrapped at Swindon in 1981 and I am pretty sure was never dual braked. The reason I think it is a dual braked one is because of the feint appearance of hinge straps on the bodyside air filters which dual braked locos received.

Sorry !!!!

The Picture of 25187 at Towyn is not so clear cut as the following are possible

Doubleheaded with 25179 Charter to Porthmadog 29/5/77.

Doubleheaded with 25325 0845 New St to Barmouth 7/8/77.

Doubleheaded with 25262 Wellingboro to Barmouth Mystex 21/8/77.

Doubleheaded with 25145 0845 New St to Barmouth 4/9/77.

Doubleheaded with 25272 0410 Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth 26/7/80.

Doubleheaded with 25272 0845 New St to Barmouth 27/7/80.

Doubleheaded with 25090 0740 Euston to Aberystwyth 13/6/81.

All of these are the correct body style of class 25 as well which doesn't help.

As all the other slides in the batch have been earlier than 1980 I suspect its one of the first 4 options.

There is a way of partially narrowing this one down slightly.

Both locos appear to have the boiler room grille at the No 2 end replated flush at works overhaul stage. Quite a number were done like this but my research suggests they were generally 25/2s rather than 25/3s - ie numbers lower than 25247, but also lower than the boiler fitted batch 218-247. I'd therefore rule out 25325, 25262 and 25272, the latter also at that time having tablet catcher recesses.

25325 in 1981 with the boiler room grille cover plate ;

http://www.derbysulz...325euston81.jpg

25090 still possessed the boiler grille plate in 1982 so was probably scrapped in that condition ;

http://www.derbysulz...090manvicmb.jpg

Please realised I am not deliberately trying to quash your suppositions !!!

I'll do some more research.

Have you tried sixbellsjunction ?

Many thanks Phil for the info, your certainly not quashing any suppositions. I have tried sixbells but nothing flagged up there.

Regards

Andy

Perhaps I should have used "CTRL +" before making the comments about the pair at Tywyn !!!

After blowing up the image on the screen I have found that the leading loco does have the boiler grille blanking plate so please disregard my earlier diatribe !!!

Apologies !!!

Confirmed though is the second engine at Stirling is definately a dual braked example.

The second image not a cambrian shot. The steam heat is on so its not a summer shot. The first image is definitely Towyn mid wales and i'm trying to look for my fathers records book as I have many images of the 25's on a passenger trains at Barmouth. My fathers records will give me an exact date if it fell when we were holiday down there

Archived