S & D Layouts from the Past

We are solidly booked well into 2013,

Jerry

Pity, it wont be available for our great S&DJR meet in 2013, actual date to be decided in the next couple of weeks, was going to be end of August to coincide with the 150th anniversary of the completion of the final link of the original S&D, but because of difficulties will now probably be late September or Oct.

• RMweb Gold

Pity, it wont be available for our great S&DJR meet in 2013, actual date to be decided in the next couple of weeks, was going to be end of August to coincide with the 150th anniversary of the completion of the final link of the original S&D, but because of difficulties will now probably be late September or Oct.

I have sent you a pm regarding this as moving the show to late september opens up possibilities.

Jerry

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

My 3mm layout of Masbury station should hopefully be appearing at 2014 Leeds exhibition (although I may not be depending on work !)

This layout was featured in the Railway Modeller a few years ago and whilst not wholly accurate (stone crushing plant sidings and scenery to the South not quite correct) isn't a bad representation and tends to be run in a late 1920's/30's period . Not quite up to the same standard as Jerry's Highbury Colliery layout but usually well received .

The layout doesn't get out much due to the nature of my work but did appear at RailWells several years ago and has the distinction of actually having visited the site on which it was modelled , being packed up in the back of the car whilst I observed the 'current' site from the roadbridge .

A visit to the NRM earlier in the year has given me a more accurate trackplan regarding the stone crushing plant sidings and the book S&D From Above has confirmed how inaccurate our scenery to the South of the station is , whether I will get these remedied before the Leeds show is doubtful ....but you never know !

>>>This layout was featured in the Railway Modeller a few years ago...

Although I do recall one layout of Masbury in the RM, I think was a club 4mm effort, so what issue of the magazine was yours in please?

Edited by RailWest

• RMweb Premium

>>>This layout was featured in the Railway Modeller a few years ago... Although I do recall one layout of Masbury in the RM, I think was a club 4mm effort, so what issue of the magazine was yours in please?

Hi Chris ,

October 2008 was the Railway Modeller issue . You are correct in that the layout was built as a Leeds MRS group effort (of which I am a member) but it is most definately in 3mm scale (although built to the old non-prototype TT track gauge of 12mm.)

I was one the 3 main builders of the layout and then bought it from the club a few years ago when the space was required for something else . I must confess that whilst the layout fits perfectly into my loft (it was 3" too big for my downstairs railway room !) I have probably only used it maybe 2 or 3 times since .

Time to blow the cobwebs of it and give it an outing this Autumn , if I feel I can complete the alterations in time then I will try and do something with the stone crushing plant sidings and 'lose' the quarry cutting at the southern end .....unfortunately I'm very good at starting things with the best of intentions but rarely complete them in the time that I think it should take .

Looking forward to the new Lightmoor publication of the PO Wagons of Somerset and hoping for a picture of a stone wagon in in Emborough quarry livery .

Regards ,

Ian .

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris ,

Time to blow the cobwebs of it and give it an outing this Autumn , if I feel I can complete the alterations in time then I will try and do something with the stone crushing plant sidings and 'lose' the quarry cutting at the southern end .....unfortunately I'm very good at starting things with the best of intentions but rarely complete them in the time that I think it should take .

Looking forward to the new Lightmoor publication of the PO Wagons of Somerset and hoping for a picture of a stone wagon in in Emborough quarry livery .

Regards ,

Ian .

The new Lightmoor book should be available this weekend - I'm hoping to pick mine up at the Bristol show.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

The new Lightmoor book should be available this weekend - I'm hoping to pick mine up at the Bristol show.

Jerry

Jolly good , I only came across it by accident a couple of weeks ago , mines on order from Bill Hudson along with a new book about Camerton colliers which should also be of interest even though not on the S&D .

Regards ,

Ian

>>>October 2008 was the Railway Modeller issue.....

Ah yes, that was indeed the one which I remembered, tho' clearly not well enough to to get the scale right - oops!

It was a nice layout, but with a few 'historical contradictions (especially the signalling!) which caused me to send a Letter to the Editor which appeared in the next issue. I'm sure it will improve with your attention :-)

• RMweb Premium

>>>October 2008 was the Railway Modeller issue.....

Ah yes, that was indeed the one which I remembered, tho' clearly not well enough to to get the scale right - oops!

It was a nice layout, but with a few 'historical contradictions (especially the signalling!) which caused me to send a Letter to the Editor which appeared in the next issue. I'm sure it will improve with your attention :-)

I vaguely remember the letter now that you mention it , I'll dig out the November issue and remind myself of your observations as I'm a great believer in that things can always be improved .....if only for the challenge !

Regards ,

Ian .

When I went back to the Oct 2008 issue a couple more things came to my attention <g>, tho' as I've put it back in storage now I've not got it to hand to double-check.

But IIRC then in the model the signal-box had the 'HALT' suffix added to its nameboard, but that would not have happened surely until the station became unstaffed in 1938 (?) - assuming I was right in that the model was based in the 'blue' era between the wars. Also, the bargeboards on the SB were painted a light blue colour, but I've never seen any evidence for that either there or elsewhere on the S&D - more like a BR 'corporate image' style :-)

• 1 month later...

Sturminster Newton here, now in the garage as it needs a fair bit of rework . It's in n gauge with a scenic area of around 7 feet by 18 inches. Had to make a number of compromises to fit in the size I had available . Getting pictures of the cattleyard proved really difficult so I'm starting that section again.

post-12201-0-97453100-1402262160_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The trust has a static model of Highbridge in an old coach or shed at Washford, it was donated by someone and presumably used to work. I once saw a model of Henstridge, but it was years ago, and I've also seen West Pennard, and an N gauge Cole too . At the Brighton Model World exhibition a couple of years ago, there were 2 N gauge models of Midford next to each other !, and of course there's the new(ish) model of Blandford.

Some of these were of questionable quality though.

I've always had the ambition to build Templecombe, but I need to move house or have an extention built for that !

This 4mm model was built by the late Alexander Grey.

He was an architect who lived in the Highbridge area. He had measured and drawn all the buildings and wanted to preserve the architecture. The model is accurate and well executed but never ran trains, it was only ever intended to be a diorama.

Alex was very helpful to me in the late '70s and gave me copies of all his drawings which were invaluable in enabling me to model Highbridge as by then all S&D had disappeared except for the gas works; the B&E buildings were demolished soon after.

My P4 model has been 35 years in the making and continues alive and well but is not exhibitable. It happens that tomorrow Chris Nevard is visiting to photograph it for Model Rail. I will write the required words soon and the editor may choose to publish an article.

• Like 3

Chris came and went with a great deal of effort from him in between!

He tells me that ModelRail mag is running with a 9 month backlog so even if I write the words this week (unlikely) and Editor-boss likes them you will have to wait until next year.

Anyway here is a couple made earlier (not by Chris) to whet your appetite.

post-7074-0-24384900-1402335037_thumb.jpg

post-7074-0-24882000-1402335051_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

It looks great!

But I would like it even more if the ground signal No 20 was facing the correct way :O

EEK! Well spotted.

We used to clean track with a fibre glass brush. Tall signals were unplugged for safety but ground sigs often got swiped off so are mostly blue-tacked. Clearly this one got reversed when photographed by me some time ago.

Just checked it is now the right way round so Chris' piccies will be cosher, phew!

Now I have banned fibre glass brush cleaning, I really ought to de-blutack them as it shows occasionally.

As an aside but possibly of interest, I have tried many track cleaning regimes since 2008 when the ban was decided on.

1. Cotton bud or rag soaked in solvent, effective but as bad as fibre-glass brush for detail damage. Dead tedious too.

1. CMX tank waggon ( sic -  shows my Broad Gauge inclination :D ) ....a pig to convert to P4, works Ok but needs a diesel-adhesion to tow it up my 1:40 and sticks like s£$% to my Plasticard cobbled level-crossing. Struggles to traverse a double-slip, too many rails, too much friction.

2. Lanarkshire Models modified brake van with drum roller....roller too narrow for P4...needs large mod.

3. Pendon-style hardboard dragger.....quite a lot of work to make but working well here.

• Like 2

Easily done :-)  At least there won't be a need to send a 'Letter to the Editor' of Model Rail in due course... :mail:

Some years ago at RailWells there was a 4mm S&D layout on which all the signals were removable for transportation (not uncommon). Unfortunately almost all of them had been inserted the wrong way round when the layout was erected! What I found depressing was that, once the situation had been drawn to their attention, no-one seemed in the least bit bothered to get them corrected.

Now, about those missing holes in the backing arm No 12........

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone else remember the Southend MRC's "Midsomer Norton" in 00 from the early to mid 1970s?

I was a new member of the club then, and the layout was already regarded by other members as being past its best. It appeared to be pretty accurate but only featured the station area and the start of the colliery line IIRC.

• RMweb Premium

I remember it getting a small mention with a picture in Railway Modeller, but that's all as I can recall !

I helped run it at an exhibition, it was pretty disastrous. A few of us offered to relay the track and make a few other improvements but space was at a premium and I think the layout was eventually scrapped. The Southend club also built Stalbridge and Henstridge at various times, I'm not sure if they were ever part of the same layout.

• RMweb Premium

I remember going to the Southend Club's exhibition specially to see it - in 1968 possibly?

Sorry, can't help you there - I didn't move to the Southend area until 1973.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Back in the sixties, Dad & I had a joint S&D & GW layout, ( or was GW with S&D running powers?) running into Coleford from Mells Road and Radstock, I think, for which I built a number of locos on Triang & Hornby chassis, converted Triang clerestories into panelled S&D stock and built various goods and departmental stock. They were all liveried for 1930, so we could have S&D blue and Jinties. I still have most of the stock, but it looks very crude by today's standards. I still like my 7F on a Hornby 8F chassis. Who then would have thought it would be available r-t-r!

You can see our attempts in my ipernity album at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/512733

A view of one version of part of the layout is below:

post-14351-0-69649400-1422728601_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Railway Modeller's Railway of the month in July 1993 was Denys Brownlee's Burnham-on-Sea, a mid '30s 2mm layout.

Apart from having a 7F and an unpainted Sentinel looking rather out of place, it had scratch-built locos, repainted GF coaches, Peco N wagons and a Lifeboat that ran out of its house and halfway down the jetty, when a penny for the RNLI was put in the slot!

More recently there was the Challis' Cheddar in BRM January 2010 - although that probably doesn't count as '-from the past'

Edited by phil_sutters