a1 partwork Flying Scotsman

hi.gents

thanks for info issue 99.got on wednesday still no issue of 98.

have got some bother with tender and bogie wheels now.

have to send off to slaters for more axles .the wheelwobble is back.

the main drivers seem ok now along with the slaters axles.

Picked up issue 100 (a milestone?) lots of instructions on correcting the footplate... I love the way they make it seem like this is what you were going to have to do all along... Certainly glad I decided to wait untill the new workshop is completed before I started the build. With all the advice/amendments, I have a half decent chance of producing the model!

Picked up issue 100 (a milestone?) lots of instructions on correcting the footplate... I love the way they make it seem like this is what you were going to have to do all along... Certainly glad I decided to wait untill the new workshop is completed before I started the build. With all the advice/amendments, I have a half decent chance of producing the model!

The 'fix it' info in 100 only goes to confirm everyone's suspicions of this being a crook kit from many months ago.

Its disgusting how they assume the customer would happy to put things right that should never have been be wrong, and especially so when DJH have been building this item in advance of customers!

Its laughable to now have to be be filing and chopping bits out at this late stage where there is a high risk of doing damage to other parts, I totally agree with you, in this instance its far better to have stored this kit and then tackle it with all parts to hand.

Just good to see that a number have bypassed these fix's months ago, and making the best of a bad job that they can, keep it up guys!

Basically, issue 100 tells you to remove the splashers (you didn't use epoxy now did you?) position them in the correct places, mark round them, file out the holes, fill the rear of the rear ones (which overhang)... Then, after screwing the chassis to the footplate, fit the replacement guard irons (from issue 99) and if your large footplate supports are no longer touching the valance (still in touch with reality?), remove them and fit the replacement ones from - you guessed it - issue 99!

I love the way they say, 'you may have to trim...' - are they trying hard to make you think you messed up? Strikes me there was a miscalculation on their part, thinking modellers would never be interested in building this.... I have been modelling on and off for many years and always wanted to build a 7mm engine. The idea of spreading the cost was an attraction. I started the 'Build the Victory', given to me by a relative; their 'ship experts' tell you to paint it blue and yellow... the real thing is about 15 miles from where I live and it has always looked black and ochre to me... guess I need glasses?

Don't complain too much about the FS; at least it isn't a cartoon of the real thing!

Basically, issue 100 tells you to remove the splashers (you didn't use epoxy now did you?) position them in the correct places, mark round them, file out the holes, fill the rear of the rear ones (which overhang)... Then, after screwing the chassis to the footplate, fit the replacement guard irons (from issue 99) and if your large footplate supports are no longer touching the valance (still in touch with reality?), remove them and fit the replacement ones from - you guessed it - issue 99!

I love the way they say, 'you may have to trim...' - are they trying hard to make you think you messed up? Strikes me there was a miscalculation on their part, thinking modellers would never be interested in building this.... I have been modelling on and off for many years and always wanted to build a 7mm engine. The idea of spreading the cost was an attraction. I started the 'Build the Victory', given to me by a relative; their 'ship experts' tell you to paint it blue and yellow... the real thing is about 15 miles from where I live and it has always looked black and ochre to me... guess I need glasses?

Don't complain too much about the FS; at least it isn't a cartoon of the real thing!

Bearing in mind that all this filing and chopping of the splasher holes to refit the splashers (so they align centrally with the drive wheels), is on a footplate with the boiler glued/secured to the footplate, that's if you followed their loopy sequence of build, looks to me like someone has dropped a right gooley in its design or manufacture.

Hi all,Has anyone put on thier "Motion Bracket"-yet? The instructions say's to super glue them ,but I don't think that will be practicle,I think I will solder them,after all there must be some kind of pressure on them.

After all they are connected to "Whitemetal parts"-------ROB

Hi All,

We're up to part 30 here in NZ now, come with the replacement back head as per the series in the UK. So far all the parts are 100% the same, would have figured that nearly 2 years after release in the UK the NZ release would have had some of the "issues" fixed....

Anyway, is it possible that some one out there has a list of all the modifications/fixes for the A1 or do I have to go though all 94 pages of the old forum?

I haven't started to build yet, figured I may wait till the series is finished in the UK before I start so I can find out ALL the problems first!

Jeffrey

Hi,

I was hopping that I didn't have to re-read all 94 pages of the old site, but looks like I'll have too.... never mind it's life! should keep me out of trouble for a week or two! so what comes in part 101?

Any body got up to date photos of their build to share with us?

Jeffrey

In this weeks exciting instalment of the FS (issue 101), you get:

smokebox door (in white metal)

snifting valve "

safety valves x2 "

small handrail knobs x6 (in brass, 2 needed for the smokebox door)

They don't look too bad... but I haven't checked any photos yet.....

Time for issue 102...

This time you get:

*atomiser

*mechanical lubricator hand wheel

*lamp brackets x2

*regulator lever

drain cock

washout plugs x4

(* these are to be stored for later)

The draisn cock is interesting; it looks like a part from another kit - once glued in position you have to cut some of the pipework off of it to make 2 seperate drain-cocks. Just the l/h cylinder this week, another draincock next week maybe?

post-7861-12605477101282_thumb.jpg

Don't understand some of the instructions:- Part 86--I'm putting on the "Motion Gear,links etc,"apart from connectin them all up and (DON'T GLUE/SOLDER)Fitting them all together,"YOU SHOULD HAVE A SMOOTH ROLLING CHASSIS?(DOH!)Have I missed an Instruction somewhere???? :unsure:

Hi all, I thought i would do some testing with the deck supports and the plastic tender side plastic, two part epoxy (Araldite)you can just peal off the Araldite off the deck support once set, to me that sucks BIG time, if the train goes off the rails it will fall apart. :angry: it will be the same sticking the tender sides to the to the brass plate :icon_e_sad: any ideas any one :icon_confused: Merry Christmas to you ALL. :icon_wave:

Hi all, I thought i would do some testing with the deck supports and the plastic tender side plastic, two part epoxy (Araldite)you can just peal off the Araldite off the deck support once set, to me that sucks BIG time, if the train goes off the rails it will fall apart. angry.gif it will be the same sticking the tender sides to the to the brass plate icon_e_sad.gif any ideas any one icon_confused.gif Merry Christmas to you ALL. icon_wave.gif

Hi not my idea but i think it should work ,mark where the side supports go on the base plate then solder the side supports to the base plate this will give more area to glue the sides to.

Dave

Hi not my idea but i think it should work ,mark where the side supports go on the base plate then solder the side supports to the base plate this will give more area to glue the sides to.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll look in to that :unsure:, OOPS just had a thought it will have to be VERY LOW melting point though

Archived