OLE Projects

andy157

Hi guys,

Well i've just been starting this new project in building 2mm scale OLE. When i've got these perfected these are going tobe used on my new layout which is in the planning stage, this is going tobe based on Darlington Bank Top Station on the ECML! All 24FT of it!!!!!

here's some pics, what ya guys think????

IMG00295-20111126-0033.jpg

IMG00300-20111130-2340.jpg

IMG00299-20111130-2338.jpg

IMG00298-20111130-2338.jpg

IMG00297-20111130-2337.jpg

pics not the best as had to use phone camera!

i'm using 1mm H section brass for the posts and 0.6mm brass tube for the arms.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick does indeed do a large range of bits but are mainly based on WCML prototypes - they make up well but may not fit ECML styles . At stations LM errected trussing across all ines and hung knitting off these on ECML a more continental style cross span was used - far less intrusive and would need a jig for soldering up the basic shape and then you hang dropper tubes for each line attached.

But I would look at his arms and perhaps some of parts would suit end of a run fittings. Dapol also have created a nylon/plastic mk3 single line mast and arms. I was contimplating using parts of Dapol attached to Nick`s posts and overall ganteries.

But love the work done. Now only if "they" had built the electric HST !

Robert

Hi all,

thanks for the great comments, yeah i did know about the products form N Brass Loco, but also noticed the price too! for a single post £3.80. the way i'm doing them i can make about 7 post for about £5!!! these only take about 5 mins to produce each one using a drawn jig on a piece of wood!!!

i'll will also be trying to make the headspan posts, not going to be able to make a jig for these as there all different!!

I'll be using .25mm bronze wire for the contact and support wire!

LOL, it was the only model i had to hand as all my stuff is in the loft!! notice the post time 12:40am!!!!

well just worked it out on google earth, think there's about 40 post just on the 2 straight mains lines that bypass the station!!!!

Andy.

Quote: yeah i did know about the products form N Brass Loco, but also noticed the price too! for a single post £3.80. the way i'm doing them i can make about 7 post for about £5!!!

Fair point Andy, fair point!

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy.

Nice work with the posts!

You might want to experiment with "invisible" nylon thread for the contact & support wires in place of brass wire. It has a little more flexibility to it and lessens the chances of damage whilst cleaning track. It's also much easier to replace sections that do become damaged and can simply be attached to supports by superglue.

You will need to tension the contact wire though, to stop the support wires pulling it up from the level, but I think you'll need to do that with any material anyway.

I tried this out myself for a project which unfortunately had to be abandoned:

151207a.jpg

The pic above shows the thread under test, with the contact wire tensioned.

Tom.

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

O.6mm tube is spot on - for 4mm scale! Thus it's 200% to big for 2mm. Try using .3mm nickel silver wire instead (available from eileens)

For the contact wire, scale would be a smudge over 0.1 mm wire. Having built scale ole in 4mm scale where the contact wire is nigh on invisible I would advise missing it off.

The angles of the arms is also miles off for Mk3 ole. It looks like a mish mash of mk1 and mk3 ole to me. Can you drop me a pm please? I can only reply to them on my iPad

Hth

Jim

Archived