Which axle boxes?

Steadfast

Hi everyone,

I'm just about to put in my first order from the 2mm SA shop, including an etched Shark chassis. However I need to fit a round roller bearing type axle box in place of the square oil ones supplied on the etch due to modelling one in recent condition:

IMG2071-DB993876-XL.jpg

Anyway, to the question, which of the avaiable types would suit this best? I'm guessing at 2-476 BR roller bearing axlebox

2-460 5' wagon spring

2-461 5' spring with link hangers

2-462 3'6" 5 leaf wagon springs

2-463 3'6" 9 leaf wagon springs

2-464 4'6" springs with " J" hangers

2-465 3'6" 8 leaf spring with J hangers

2-471 CR/HR/NBR grease axlebox

2-472 Attocks patent grease axlebox

2-473 RCH/SR/GWR/BR split wagon axlebox

2-474 LMS 2 bolt wagon axlebox

2-475 LNER wagon axlebox

2-476 BR roller bearing axlebox

2-480 4'0" 10 leaf spring with l.h. & roller bearing axlebox

2-481 4'0" Bruninghaus spring with roller bearing axlebox

2-482 5'0" 13 leaf spring with l.h. & roller bearing axlebox

2-483 5'0" Bruninghaus spring with roller bearing axlebox

Many thanks!

jo

post-2184-0-10190600-1325957554.jpg

When I converted my 20T brake to roller bearings, I used the springs which came on the etch and cut the roller bearing off some 5'0" 13 leaf spring with L.H. & roller bearing axle box. Not the easiest of things to do, but seems to look ok.

Jo,

I'll offer an alternative. Cut off the springs and axleboxes from the 'shark' chassis etch and replace with the etched 2-317 type. They come as a set of 4 on a very neat little etch which you fold-up.

Andy

PS - nice brake van Bryn!

Thanks for the help guys. Andy, I'd hadn't even noticed those on the list! Its great to have a couple of options. For the few pence they cost, I'll probably get both and see which I find easiest.

Out of interest, what is an 'L.H.'?

Thanks again,

jo

Thanks for the help guys. Andy, I'd hadn't even noticed those on the list! Its great to have a couple of options. For the few pence they cost, I'll probably get both and see which I find easiest.

Out of interest, what is an 'L.H.'?

Thanks again,

jo

No probs. I think LH refers to 'link hanger' - there seems to be some sort of long link between the spring end and the fixing point on the solebar.

Andy

No probs. I think LH refers to 'link hanger' - there seems to be some sort of long link between the spring end and the fixing point on the solebar.

Andy

I'd agree with Andy.

It is also worth noting that 2-46x numbers are only the springs and 2-47x numbers are only axle box. You need one from each (or some etched bits in addition).

Archived