DCC 38 STOCK.

BROADTRAIN1979

Hi my dad whose 82 is just waiting to get his dcc 38 tube stock back. 2 three car sets from a small company in canterbury called the Engine works he originally had these built from radley models dc a superb job . Has anyone else have theres dcc and can these go down to a realistic slow speed? He has a separate chip in the center coaches for his lights which he will be able to turn on and off im realy pleased for him, as i helped build his tube rail and added 4th rail flash as the shoes pass.over the 4th rail comprised of reed switch gow bulb and magnet run from 2 AA batteries.

Mark.

I have done something similar but with 'surface' stock (CO/CP), also from Harrow Model Shop/Radley Models kits. I have two Black Beetle motors in one car (a CP 'D' end car), with a TCS T1 decoder controlling both motors. I will be doing the same with some Q stock (DC Kits) and F stock (Harrow/Radley) very soon as I have ordered a second Black Beetle from DC kits for each of them (one motor bogie is not sufficient for four or five car trains!).

I do have an EFE 1938 train of four cars with a Black Beetle motor which will eventually be converted to DCC ... after I convert the bogies to pin-point axles with Metro Models kits.

Lights would be nice and I do have plans to do something about the headcode lights on the CO/CP stock in the longer term. A third rail flash is a nice refinement too and easily arranged with the TCS decoder functions available ( I have a similar provision on a Howes' ESU LokSound fitted class 73 electro-diesel).

I have done something similar but with 'surface' stock (CO/CP), also from Harrow Model Shop/Radley Models kits. I have two Black Beetle motors in one car (a CP 'D' end car), with a TCS T1 decoder controlling both motors. I will be doing the same with some Q stock (DC Kits) and F stock (Harrow/Radley) very soon as I have ordered a second Black Beetle from DC kits for each of them (one motor bogie is not sufficient for four or five car trains!).

I do have an EFE 1938 train of four cars with a Black Beetle motor which will eventually be converted to DCC ... after I convert the bogies to pin-point axles with Metro Models kits.

I have 2 sets of 1938 stock both with 2 Black Beetle motors and i am also in the process of building a 6 car set of Q stock which will have 2 Black Beetles fitted to it as well alll DCC'd

XF

I think the trick with tenshodos is to have extra pickups - you can see how I do mine in the bottom picture of this post

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46417-efe-1938-london-underground-tube-trains/page__view__findpost__p__512954

The other thing with tenshodos is they seem to need a bit of running in to warm them up before every use - a few quick laps around the layout at full speed, and then they will perform nicely, but they are a bit rough without that - I have no idea why.

Jon

I think the trick with tenshodos is to have extra pickups - you can see how I do mine in the bottom picture of this post

The other thing with tenshodos is they seem to need a bit of running in to warm them up before every use - a few quick laps around the layout at full speed, and then they will perform nicely, but they are a bit rough without that - I have no idea why.

Jon

In 4-car EFE stock sets, I put two SPUDs in one of the cars and simply linked them together to prevent most stalling problems. Yes, Tenshodo SPUDs do seem to like being 'warmed up' though.

I had Tenshodos fiited to 2 DM's with 8 wheel pick ups. The issues were with getting them to work together with DCC it was impossible to get them to work at the same speed and sometimes the same direction!

My Class 501 Beastie has a larger size Tenshodo spud and works OK. My L11 Acton shunter has a single Tenshodo spud and works however changing any of he speed CV's has next to no effect!

XF

Hi Mark,

Exactly what I experienced as I found that if you removed from the track the Tenshodo which was working the other would sometimes start. Put the other one back on the track and most likely one bogie will not work or it will work in the opposite direction. I wasted many hours and @ £150 on these bogies and I still have them. I may use them singularly in the future, however even then changing speed related CV's has little or no effect!

Give up with them now before you throw them at the wall!

Nigel

Hi Mark,

Exactly what I experienced as I found that if you removed from the track the Tenshodo which was working the other would sometimes start. Put the other one back on the track and most likely one bogie will not work or it will work in the opposite direction. I wasted many hours and @ £150 on these bogies and I still have them. I may use them singularly in the future, however even then changing speed related CV's has little or no effect!

Give up with them now before you throw them at the wall!

Nigel

Well i will have a look for him anyway you never know but .....annoying to say the least! as engine works said unless its a tenshodo it cant be done? so i hope dad hasnt paid out 160.00 for nothing they were working great on dc!

Mark.

• 3 weeks later...

After some discussion with John Polley many years ago, I fitted 2 SPUDS in the NDM car in my 4 car set. Both SPUDS are wired in parallel to one ZTC 255 decoder. I use the ZTC decoder because of its small size and higher current capacity. The DM cars each have fully working 5 light headcodes controlled through the old Lenz 6 function decoder.

All the cars have working interior lights, or would do as I'm part way through changing them from the orangey LEDs that I first fitted to warm white.

Now here is the sad bit - all the cars have reproductions of the real Bakerloo line diagram and adverts, not the pathetic EFE ones. The line diagrams are even mirror imaged for the opposite sides of the car just like the originals. I have also painted the relevant parts of the interior LT "Cerulean Blue". Looking through the windows reminds me of when I used to commute on the 38 Stock daily on the Bakerloo line.

After some discussion with John Polley many years ago, I fitted 2 SPUDS in the NDM car in my 4 car set. Both SPUDS are wired in parallel to one ZTC 255 decoder. I use the ZTC decoder because of its small size and higher current capacity. The DM cars each have fully working 5 light headcodes controlled through the old Lenz 6 function decoder.

All the cars have working interior lights, or would do as I'm part way through changing them from the orangey LEDs that I first fitted to warm white.

Now here is the sad bit - all the cars have reproductions of the real Bakerloo line diagram and adverts, not the pathetic EFE ones. The line diagrams are even mirror imaged for the opposite sides of the car just like the originals. I have also painted the relevant parts of the interior LT "Cerulean Blue". Looking through the windows reminds me of when I used to commute on the 38 Stock daily on the Bakerloo line.

Sounds good please could you post a video of the unit in operation when it is finished? Will you be attending the London Transport Museum Acton Depot Family Day on the 10/11 March?

XF

Archived