Class 08 ladders

67A

Hi all,

Can anyone shed any light on this. When the class 08 shunter was introduced they had ladders fitted to each side of the radiator section at the front, at some point due to electrification safety issues these were no longer fitted from new and originally fitted loco's subsequently lost them. Has anyone any idea when this change took place?

I ask as I have a Bachmann 08 (D4192) the last of the class which is fitted with ladders, I intend to renumber and weather the model to a North West area allocated member and remove the ladders.

Cheers

Mike

• 4 years later...

All class 08 shunters were built with the bonnet ladders. It quickly became apparent that this could cause issues in areas with OHLW so they were slowly removed, in a rather haphazard way at first. Locos that would be working under the wires lost them during the early 60's, but some areas, especially the Western seemed reluctant to remove them in a hurry, the farther away from the wires, the less urgency to get rid of them. The Western allocated locos seemed to retain their ladders into the 1970's in a lot of cases, especially those in West Wales and the West Country. I have photographic evidence that 08898 of Landore even managed to keep its ladders with TOPS numbers in late 1974.

The only way to know if your loco carried ladders or not at any particular time is to find a photo of it. Not the easiest thing to do with such a large class of locos.

Paul J.

Archived