Kiptree Lane

alchemy

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Well this is an update that is very very long overdue. I cant really believe that it has been so long since my last update. If I am honest, for a lot of the time since the last update, I totally lost my modelling/train inspiration. I just could not get an get up and go to do anything on the layout. At a few times during this, I had serious thoughts of dismantling the layout and selling everything. Why did this happen? I honestly don't know. It was like I had hit the wall with everything and the more I looked at it in the spare room, the more I just walked away from it. The layout room had gone from being a nice relaxing room to be in to a storage room. Anything and everything was stored on the layout at some point. Even though the layout room was like this, I still attended my local shows and exhibitions, so there was still a flicker of light still there.

During July of this year I decide enough was enough and I had to make  decision one way or the other with what I was going to do with it. Sell it all or tidy things up in the room and get the layout going again. I decided on giving the layout another shot. All the rubbish and stored thing that were dumped in the room were removed and thrown away and the layout was beginning to reappear.

One thing that I was not happy with was the 2 tracks that ran along one of the walls, it just was not right. I rushed doing it in the first place just so that I could get the trains running. Lesson learnt. I decided to dismantle the 2 tracks and set about planning what was going to replace it. There was only 2 choices....a country station scenario or a 6 track fiddle yard. I decided on the 6 track fiddle yard. That way I could store a few more trains and I didn't really want another station (mainly partly due to the fact that I haven't done anything to the station on the main part of the layout).

Below are a few pictures of what I have done. As I re did this part, I also built a lift up flap so I could close the bedroom door when the layout is not in use if needed.

post-3641-0-23299800-1407703565.jpg

post-3641-0-69501300-1407703577.jpg

post-3641-0-22088800-1407703578.jpg

post-3641-0-96013300-1407703578.jpg

post-3641-0-38227200-1407703579.jpg

post-3641-0-86767000-1407703579.jpg

post-3641-0-29240500-1407703580.jpg

post-3641-0-72378200-1407703580.jpg

post-3641-0-11726000-1407703581.jpg

post-3641-0-61826600-1407703581.jpg

I really enjoyed doing what was in the above pictures and slowly I am getting back to planning some small projects on the layout. I think I was trying to do too much too soon, so I have broken things down into mini projects.

That's all for tonight. 

I will update as and when I do things on the layout,

Kind regards

Mark (Alchemy)

looking great , glad you didnt sell the lot , also notice your furry supervisor in the 2nd picture . :D

Ah yes my little helper...she gets interested in everything in that room :) Edited by alchemy

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Another long over due update. Where does the time go. Over the past two weeks I have finally got around to getting back on the layout. After all this time of it being covered up and not used I have really enjoyed these past two weeks. It really was a time of start it up again and get on with things. As I said in my previous update, I had to break things down into smaller projects. I have decided to start at one end of the layout and then move through to the other end of the layout. 

The first thing that I have decided to build is the platforms. I have decided to go for card platforms made by Metcalfe. I originally decided on stone colour but then changed my mind have decided to go for red brick. The platforms that have been made in stone colour, Metcalfe's brick sheets will be cut and stuck over the top to change them.

post-3641-0-14516800-1488144026.jpg

post-3641-0-56835900-1488144065.jpg

I have raised the platforms by adding cork bases to them. (this can be seen on the nearest platform in the photo's)

I will update one all the platforms have been completed.

Cheers

Alchemy (Mark)

Hi,

Not a lot has happened this week. A few little bits were added to the growing platforms, but a lot of time was spent waiting for the ballast crew to arrive. Looks like they finally arrived this evening for some over night work to start. The middle is not being done, just around the edges (up to the blue lines)

post-3641-0-00626200-1488744145.jpg

Cheers

Alchemy (Mark)

Edited by alchemy
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi there,

So the Metcalfe platforms have been stopped. I made them all up but was not happy with the way they looked. The joins between each part just wasn't right. I was not happy with them. So instead, I have decided to make the platforms out of Peco Platform edging with an infill of Plywood (or Plywood with the edging stuck to it). Below are a few pictures.....by all means not finished but it is a start.

post-3641-0-28535100-1507400244.jpg

post-3641-0-86150700-1507400252.jpg

post-3641-0-60164100-1507400261.jpg

I will add more photos when a little bit more work has been done,

Thanks

Alchemy (Mark)

• 5 months later...

An update on what is happening with this layout.

Firstly the layout in the spare room has completely gone. All boards have been taken down and all stock has been packed away. The layout for a long time did not have anything done to it and I found it really hard to actually do anything. I completely lost all interest in the layout.

All is not lost though, over the past 6 weeks I have recycled 2 of the boards and started a smaller layout. Each board is 6ft by 2ft, so in total the new layout is 12ft x 2ft. The layout is still going to be named Kiptree Lane. The new layout consists of a station terminus, with a TMD at the other end. Hidden out of view will be the storage/fiddle yard. Below are a few pictures of progress so far.

post-3641-0-80680600-1520954914.jpg

post-3641-0-86009200-1520954929.jpg

post-3641-0-61664100-1520954949.jpg

post-3641-0-66702700-1520954968.jpg

post-3641-0-94474900-1520954987.jpg

post-3641-0-39851900-1520955006.jpg

Having downsized the layout a bit, I have found that I am really enjoying doing all this again.

Thanks

Mark

• 1 year later...

After along time with doing nothing to the new style layout, I decided to give weathering a wagon a go. First time I have done something like this so not sure if it is right or not. I did enjoy it, so now have got a few more wagons to try over the next few days/weeks.

IMG_4938.JPG

IMG_9280.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

So sitting here with not much else to do (a bit like a lot of other people at the moment), I thought I would do a bit more weathering. It is a bit of trial and error at the moment with it. I am pleased with how they came out. I also made the free hut that came with one of the magazines.

Stay safe and well everyone.

IMG_0459-1.JPG

IMG_1816-1.JPG

IMG_4489-1.JPG

IMG_8826-1.JPG

IMG_8827-1.JPG

IMG_8828-1.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon,

So I have started to ballast the other board that the refuel point will be on. With the lockdown we are currently under, I feel no pressure into finishing it, so it really is a case of take my time as I have nothing else to do. I plan on doing a little bit everyday, so that I don't cram lots into one day and then lose my get and go for it (if that makes sense).

Stay safe,

IMG_8887 2-1.JPG

IMG_8888-1.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to make the joins between the 2 baseboards as good as I can. They have been ballasted. All the ballasting on one of the boards has been done. Now to turn my attention to some scenic bits.

IMG_8913-1.JPG

IMG_8914-1.JPG

IMG_8922-1.JPG

• Like 1

Interesting layout, just found your thread and glad you recycled some boards to make something new.

Don't worry about the losing the mojo, it happens to us all. I bet 99% of people on here have been keen, made mistakes, got bored, started again, thrown stuff at walls etc.

The layout will still be there whether you go back to it in a day, a week, a month , a year etc.

Looking forward to see it progress however long it takes.

Cheers,

Stu.

On 06/05/2020 at 22:35, SparxD428 said:

Interesting layout, just found your thread and glad you recycled some boards to make something new.

Don't worry about the losing the mojo, it happens to us all. I bet 99% of people on here have been keen, made mistakes, got bored, started again, thrown stuff at walls etc.

The layout will still be there whether you go back to it in a day, a week, a month , a year etc.

Looking forward to see it progress however long it takes.

Cheers,

Stu.

Thanks Stu for you reply. It's appreciated. Will be doing some more over the weekend so will post pictures up when its moved on a bit more.

Over the weekend some parts of the board were painted brown. This is the base where so that I can then add a bit of scenery (namely a bit of grass, a gravel path in front of the signal box and a gravel road way in front of the arches by the fuelling points). 

I also started from scratch to build a fuel delivery and storage point. I used some parts that I had built years ago, and I made the surrounding brick wall up quickly out of some sheets of Wills brick sheets. Whilst the glue is drying on the wall, I just need to sort out some plasticard to make the topping stones for the wall.

Cheers

IMG_8936-1.JPG

IMG_8938-1.JPG

IMG_8939-1.JPG

IMG_8940-1.JPG

IMG_8941-1.JPG

• Like 1

Today was a busy day. I started off with creating a slight hill near the refuelling point so that the edge of the baseboard becomes  scenic break. This will eventually be painted and then some various green shades of scatter applied. Whilst that dried, I turned to doing some work on the brick arched and tunnel that sit behind the refuelling points and the tunnel that goes to the fiddle yard out of sight. Some on the painting needs a second coat (namely the capping stones at the top of the tunnel and the arches. I also need to slightly weather the red and green on the arches after a second coat.

Today was one of those days that I really enjoyed sitting doing little bits.

IMG_8955-1.JPG

IMG_8944-1.JPG

IMG_8950-1.JPG

IMG_8951-1.JPG

IMG_8952-1.JPG

IMG_8953-1.JPG

• Like 1

I have slowly been getting on with the layout. A few bits a day. I have completed the ballasting on this board. I added a bit of greenery to it. It looks ok but I have started looking at Static grass for a better and a different kind of finish. My only thing is that they are quite expensive for what I would use it for, so just keeping that as an idea at the moment. 

I have also started to build one of the two refuel points. It's coming along nicely. 

IMG_8974-1.JPG.47d6c04f3433faa9c3004b8041a374fe.JPG

IMG_8978-1.JPG.9b258928ad4d29743ee9295bf35e0d20.JPG

I have also weathered the track. It needs a little bit more detail around the refuel point (mainly oil spill where trains have stood still).

IMG_8981-1.JPG.6a81666767a5104d9b0d788fd69b5c1b.JPG

The back board that the brick arches are against was also paint a light blue. I tried to get it as close to a sky colour as possible.

Finally, whilst both boards were together, I did have a quick play of trains.

IMG_8969-1.JPG.87b7b7ddb68698d631c16c7a0d44030e.JPGIMG_8970-1.JPG.a2c23010d1fa23d775f76e5ee92abb5c.JPG

Stay safe.

• Like 2

Just found your thread, and your layout is looking good.  Must say that the RES locos and coaches are a really attractive livery - I purchased a few Bachmann examples plus a limited edition LIMA class 47 a couple of years ago for a parcels depot for a planned Freightliner "Inglenook" (I thought I had hit upon a new angle to the Inglenook format, until the penny dropped that you don't need to shunt container wagons when you can just swap the boxes around!).  They, together with all my Freightliner purchases - are now stored in a box, as I couldn't bear parting with them!  (The Virgin 4-car Voyager and Northern Rail DMUs were part exchanged for SR EMUs - another story!)

Got to say I admire your earlier electrical work - very neat and organised.  I have, to date, managed one (1) soldered joint before burning myself, so definitely envious of your skills!

Glad to see you recovered your mojo - I lost mine for about 20+ years, and this hobby has helped keep me sane through some trying times since starting again.  I am sure it is helping many of us right now, too, when otherwise we might be climbing the walls!  Looking forward to seeing how you develop your layout (but no pressure!)

You, too, stay safe.

Steve S

On 20/05/2020 at 00:47, SteveyDee68 said:

Just found your thread, and your layout is looking good.  Must say that the RES locos and coaches are a really attractive livery - I purchased a few Bachmann examples plus a limited edition LIMA class 47 a couple of years ago for a parcels depot for a planned Freightliner "Inglenook" (I thought I had hit upon a new angle to the Inglenook format, until the penny dropped that you don't need to shunt container wagons when you can just swap the boxes around!).  They, together with all my Freightliner purchases - are now stored in a box, as I couldn't bear parting with them!  (The Virgin 4-car Voyager and Northern Rail DMUs were part exchanged for SR EMUs - another story!)

Got to say I admire your earlier electrical work - very neat and organised.  I have, to date, managed one (1) soldered joint before burning myself, so definitely envious of your skills!

Glad to see you recovered your mojo - I lost mine for about 20+ years, and this hobby has helped keep me sane through some trying times since starting again.  I am sure it is helping many of us right now, too, when otherwise we might be climbing the walls!  Looking forward to seeing how you develop your layout (but no pressure!)

You, too, stay safe.

Steve S

Thanks Steve. I do plan to have a parcels/mail bit using one of the platforms of the station. All the stock I have was purchased with the original layout in mind so just need to decide how and what gets used on this new layout.

You are definitely right about it keeping us sane during lock down. It certainly have given me something to focus on and keep up with over the last few weeks. 

cheers

As the weather is so nice outside, not a lot has happened on the layout the past few days. I have done a few little bits but nothing really of note. One thing I have been doing is going through all my loco's and taking out the DCC decoders in the ones that I wont be using on this layout. I have then reused the decoders in loco's that will be at some point be used on this layout. 

It has also occurred to me that I have been finding loco's packed away in boxes that I had completely forgot about. Now I am sure I am not alone with that. 

Enjoy the rest of your bank holiday.

IMG_8987-1.JPG.a270786f0b1767f1dcca31097d2c0546.JPG

IMG_8988-1.JPG.31319cbc79b5de38524821c45cf96c58.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not much has happened to the layout since the last few updates. The only thing I have done is tidy up the underneath of the board. I did have a few electrical problems but they were sorted and everything is working fine. The point motors do need to be wired up to a control panel but I am yet to build that part.

IMG_8995-1.JPG.fe57ca72b515e774e04033a88c06f9d3.JPG

The next few bits to sit and do are to complete where the signal box goes.

Cheers

Edited by alchemy