Where I can get some 1mm metal tube with 0.8mm orifice?

rope runner

Hi All,

Can anybody point me in the direction of somewhere I can get some 1mm metal (brass, steel, bronze) tube, with a 0.8mm orifice?

It's to insert into a worm gear to allow it to fit onto a thinner shaft without any wobble.

Any help appreciated!

Paul A. :declare:

Be careful. Small motors with 0.8mm shafts, e.g. pagers or Nigel Lawton's, are not going to have the bearings to cope with driving through a worm.

It's only for an small N shunter, pushing one or two wagons arround.

I understand that not fitting a worm directly to the motor is the advice for many medium-large 2mm locomotives using small motors such as this. But as mentioned in another thread, there are plenty of examples running faultlessly on the exhibition circuit to suggest that this is not the case if care is taken.

Paul A.

It's only for an small N shunter, pushing one or two wagons arround.

I understand that not fitting a worm directly to the motor is the advice for many medium-large 2mm locomotives using small motors such as this. But as mentioned in another thread, there are plenty of examples running faultlessly on the exhibition circuit to suggest that this is not the case if care is taken.

Paul A.

Any data on how long "faultlessly" lasts?. I've taken a few of those motors apart to see what's inside and just the copper wire "whisker" brushes frighten me.

Ted

Any data on how long "faultlessly" lasts?. I've taken a few of those motors apart to see what's inside and just the copper wire "whisker" brushes frighten me.

Ted

Thanks for the input, but there's no need to be so sceptical.

Just look arround on the 2mmFS website, or indeed I believe there are a few examples on here .

Paul A.

Quite correct Bill, in fact they do not have any sort of bearing that can take end thrust at all.

This seems to be the case with any small round motors. You can near remove the end loads with a good positive location for the worm within the frames/gear housing assembly to reduce end movement to a minimum. At least the Nigel Lawton ones are cheap enough to replace if/when they wear out.

Archived