Guide Bridge Avoiding Line

woodenhead

If it's the LNWR line I'm thinking of, photos of it and its stations are really rare. There's some info about Hooley Hill Station and an indifferent photo of the platform here. I have never seen any photo of Dukinfield and Ashton Station.

Some more limited info here.

The odd thing is it's not that long ago that the line closed. But it seems that unfashionable bits of railway in the Greater Manchester area were rarely photographed, and even more rarely has anyone published anything about them. (If only one could go back in time equipped with a digital camera (sigh).)

Edited by Poggy1165

Not just around Manchester.. try finding pictures of the GC Barnsley-Sheffield line. There are just a handful that I've been able to find including the views of stations at Dovecliffe, Birdwell and Chapeltown that you'd expect - but very few of trains on the move and the ones that do exist are almost all of specials and excursions. Very little of the workaday operations and absolutely nothing from the last five years or so when the line was diesel operated.

Alan

• Like 1

Yes the Fallowfield Loop was sadly neglected. Photos of Hyde Road Station in particular are as rare as hen's teeth. And I'd love to see more of the GC line from Barnsley to Sheffield - the photos of the stations I have seen suggest it was a delight.

Maybe I should amend my comment to say that railways away from 'glamorous' main lines, holiday lines (see GWR branches in Devon/Cornwall) and quirky light railways seem generally to have been neglected by photographers. This is a pity, because the lines I am most interested in tend to fall into this neglected category. It is a bit surprising though as you would think that railways in and around major cities would have got photographed more, given the sheer number of enthusiasts living locally. But they didn't. Probably at the key time (1950s/60s) most modellers were still focused on producing versions of Ashburton.

It is a bit of a mystery - in the case of the Barnsley-Sheffield line (I know this is off topic!) I suspect the issue was that the Worsborough Branch was just over the way and there you had the sight of heavy trains (with up to four locos) ascending the bank to Penistone and the Woodhead main line. There was also the U1. But at the Northern end, the Barnsley-Sheffield line ran within eyeshot of the Worsborough branch. I've often wondered why more photogaphers didn't walk the four hundred yards or so to rattle off a few frames. The line was a delight. Trains were mostly colliery trip workings but with largely intact closed stations. Often thought there's a cracking model in there somewhere!

Alan

My kind of railway - quite steeply graded in parts isn't it? IIRC it was on this line a GCR double-framed engine lost control of its coal train on a descent and the whole lot landed in a big pile somewhere near Stairfoot. (Mind you, in those days with feeble brakes on small engines and only one brake on many of the wagons, it's a wonder there weren't more runaways. Those drivers really knew their job.)

• Like 1

There were two or three memorable runaways down the years. The one that you're thinking of prompted the installation of heavy-duty sand drags at Dovecliffe, where the gradient steepened down to Wombwell Main Junction. There was an entry in the sectional appendix requiring all loose-coupled trains to stop and pin down brakes. I have vivid memories of hearing brakes banging away as the trains were powered away from Wombwell towards Wath Yard. Dovecliffe Station itself was also a gem with a crazy three-storey signalbox tacked onto the end of the station buildings. One day I'll get off my backside and model it!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not very well versed in the Yorkshire lines, but as far as Guide Bridge, Dukinfield, Ashton, Stalybridge goes, I can certainly recommend that you study the following books, for both pics and historical notes:

Scenes from the Past, No 8. Railways in and around the Manchester Suburbs, A selective Pictorial Review, by E M Johnson, pub by Foxline, 1989.

Railways in and around Manchester, the changing scene, by E M Johnson, pub by Foxline, 1994

Miles Platting to Diggle (via shton), by Jeffrey Wells, pub by Challenger Pubs, 1996

All 3 books cover a large area and not just the Guide Bridge - Ashton area. There are no doubt other books as well.

gresley

There was a lack of glamour on some of the lines around Guide Bridge, Duckinfield and Ashton, but inaccessibility played a part in keeping photographers at bay too. When I think back to that area in the 1950s there were lines everywhere and so much to see that the easy option was to cycle to the nearest convenient footbridge and hope something would come along. Or better still, go to busy lines where trains were guaranteed. Some of the tracks that crossed Dukinfield and Ashton were out of bounds on long viaducts.

Edited by coachmann

There was a lack of glamour on some of the lines around Guide Bridge, Duckinfield and Ashton, but inaccessibility played a part in keeping photographers at bay too. When I think back to that area in the 1950s there were lines everywhere and so much to see that the easy option was to cycle to the nearest convenient footbridge and hope something would come along. Or better still, go to busy lines where trains were guaranteed. Some of the tracks that crossed Dukinfield and Ashton were out of bounds on long viaducts.

Larry,

Agreed. Especially through the valley from Guide Bridge to Stalybridge, via Dukinfield and Ashton (Park Parade). More viaduct than anything else.

gresley

Larry,

Going a bit off topic, although it must be right up your street: Remember the Manchester - Glossop/Hadfield Push-Pulls ? Been looking through some old mags and came across photo and drawings of C13 Tank plus the 2 carriages. Article is in the RM for November '68. I travelled on this very often as a young trainspotter.

gresley

Gresley, you lucky lucky man. I only watched them from a fence in Flowery Field just east of Hyde Junction. I didnt even travel in the GCR push pull set (12-wheel driving trailer) that came up to Oldham. But I wil have a model one day when BillB sends the etchings.

Gresley, you lucky lucky man. I only watched them from a fence in Flowery Field just east of Hyde Junction. I didnt even travel in the GCR push pull set (12-wheel driving trailer) that came up to Oldham. But I wil have a model one day when BillB sends the etchings.

Larry,

Flowery Field ? Yes, I used to watch the lunchtime trains there. Also, a bit further East, i saw the 1948 Exchange locos on the 08:25 Marylebone from London Road. If I remember correctly, it was at the bridge on Lodge Lane, on the way to school.

gresley

Larry,

Agreed. Especially through the valley from Guide Bridge to Stalybridge, via Dukinfield and Ashton (Park Parade). More viaduct than anything else.

gresley

Larry,

I have found a few pics and historical notes. Alas, not all in one book. The series "Scenes from the Past" . Some items in about 3 or 4 vols. Not much but at least something.

gresley

Hi Gresley, friend Greg Fox gave me books he knew would interest me so I have seen the pictures. I don't think his albums could be bettered, as many of the regular Foxline authors have passed on.

Larry,

Have you thought of looking in the Thameside Archives ?

gresley

No. I hardly ever get across to the North West these days. In anycase it is unlikely I will be asked to do any more titles. Geoff Wells and Eddie Johnson love searching out gems of information in such places and I suspect they will continue to do so.

Its such a shame to see the state of this station now, I would love to have visited it in its hey day when it was bursting with trains and passengers. It has been great reading all the information people have provided. I dont look at it the same when im there now :)

It was a nice station to visit even back in the 70's as it was a signing on point so lots of station activity (peoplewise) even though the only trains stopping there were locals.

I think even if the Woodhead route had remained open by now Dewsnap, the stabling point and the 4 tracks would still be gone - once industry left Manchester the railways were no longer needed in the form that they were.

Guide Bridge still has some of that old infrastructure hanging around and it needs to be cleared and the land around developed then it will look better no doubt although still sad that was once there has gone.

Found this new link today: http://www.table38.steamrailways.com/rail/Dukinfield/dukinfield.htm

It was a nice station to visit even back in the 70's as it was a signing on point so lots of station activity (peoplewise) even though the only trains stopping there were locals.

I think even if the Woodhead route had remained open by now Dewsnap, the stabling point and the 4 tracks would still be gone - once industry left Manchester the railways were no longer needed in the form that they were.

Guide Bridge still has some of that old infrastructure hanging around and it needs to be cleared and the land around developed then it will look better no doubt although still sad that was once there has gone.

Found this new link today: http://www.table38.s.../dukinfield.htm

Yeah theres still a lot of junk lying around on the car park side of the station. Its my local station and I use it 2 or 3 times a week, its interesting to see the old platforms just filled in with dirt and used as overgrown waste land. I dont know what they could do with the land other than enlarge the carpark or create a bigger Network Rail depot. Although moving and increasing the size of the ballast stockpile area could be a realistic option.

Larry,

Have you thought of looking in the Thameside Archives ?

gresley

Don't know of the place in Greater Manchester, know of Tameside though.

In Reply Sutton Jct the problem with the Woodhead route was that to be usefull it would have to be converted to 25KV and I dont think BR would wanted to do that, it was bad enough converting as far as they did for commuter traffic, plus at the Sheffield end there are no live wires to join up with.

There was a plan by one train operating company to provide a Park and Ride facility at Guide Bridge to connect up with the M60 which passes nearby ( a chance missed ) but that came to nothing, So the options are there it just seems that it is an unfasionable station on the east side of Manchester, now if it was on the South/West side of Manchester that may me another matter.

Edited by johnd

TPE services don't stop at Guide Bridge, but there was talk of an 'Open Operator' service from Wakefield and Huddersfield using it; trains would have run to Stockport and on to Euston. I don't know what happened to the idea, it may still be hovering in the background somewhere.

Edited by 62613