Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Is there a crossover missing? Or do goods trains for the Midland have to reverse back into the platform roads before departure?

There is, well spotted that man! I've made the crossover but missed it off my drawing - I shall add it when amend it for the colliery addition.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Bit more progress over the weekend.

First up is the batch. I've now finalised its shape and I'm happy with it - it now owes more to the typical, conical heap than it does to the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury! The angle of the slope is taken directly from a photograph so I know it's right. It should be an awful lot bigger but I haven't the space and, in any case, even big batches started small!

It will have a rope worked tubway track up the left hand side once I have enough information to build it. For photos see the Foxcote/ Highbury thread.

post-1074-0-77381800-1499090256_thumb.jpg

Next up is Twinhoe bridge , just south of Midford. I have always liked this location ( see the Ivo photo on the wall) and it fits the layout well, both aesthetically and geographically. It marks the spot where the line out of Bath goes from single to double and also means I can include the attractive Midford up outer home just north of the bridge to protect the single line section into Bath.

I also like recycling so being able to modify the old bridge from Highbury (based on Twinhoe) was a bonus. Not too much was needed - new girders as it's now double rather than single track and a new northern face as the old bridge was single sided being up against the backscene. The bridge is seen here being trial fitted, awaiting painting, weathering and bedding in.

post-1074-0-10415200-1499089853_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-45046700-1499089892_thumb.jpg

The view of Twinhoe looking south will have a screen of trees to largely hide the batch as it's meant to be several miles down the line.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Not much progress this weekend as it was too hot to do anything in the workshop although I did grab a few hours in the evening once it had cooled down to make the tunnel mouth for Combe Down. The mouth itself is plasticard, some ancient ' Roxey mouldings' embossed sheet. The characteristic retaining walls are pre-loved plaster castings of unknown origin which I picked up years ago. They are more representative than strictly accurate but, as the whole approach to the tunnel has been quite radically foreshortened I think they are fine and capture the character well. It's also hard up against the backscene and , like the prototype (shown after closure) is a bit of a dark hole with hill climbing steeply above it.

Next will be Devonshire tunnel mouth so I can then start thinking about the bulk of Combe Down

post-1074-0-54844300-1499677953_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-22744200-1499677988_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-30780500-1499678029_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 15

What about the smoke pouring out the mouth after the passage of a train?

I have only been through the real thing a couple of times, including one Saturday lunchtime ex-Bath when the loco, a BR standard 2-6-4T IIRC, wasn't in the best of condition and took well over 20 minutes to clear the tunnel. The atmosphere in the carriages was pretty dire, so I hate to think what it was like on the footplate.

• RMweb Gold

What about the smoke pouring out the mouth after the passage of a train?

I have only been through the real thing a couple of times, including one Saturday lunchtime ex-Bath when the loco, a BR standard 2-6-4T IIRC, wasn't in the best of condition and took well over 20 minutes to clear the tunnel. The atmosphere in the carriages was pretty dire, so I hate to think what it was like on the footplate.

Trains heading south could coast through Combe Down (1829 yards) as it was all downhill, the large amount of smoke that accompanied the train emerging into Horsecombe Vale was usually pushed out from a preceding up train which had a much tougher job climbing at 1 In 100 toward Bath.

It was Devonshire tunnel which caused problems for down trains. Although it was much shorter (447 yards) it was all at 1:50 from a standing start at Bath. There was a brief level section at the entrance to Combe Down before descending toward Midford. Conditions on the footplate could indeed be pretty grim.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

For the last couple of years my Monday night project at the club has been steadily working my way through the coaches I will need for Bath. At the moment its SDJR 46' bogie stock from Worsley Works etches and last night I assembled the last of nine bodies for the three rakes I'm building. These, supplemented by the seven SDJR six wheelers I've already finished, will form the backbone of the services between Bristol, Bath, Templecombe and Bournemouth. Just bogies, underframes, interiors, roofs and painting to go!!

post-1074-0-77309400-1499761512_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Nick - there is a good reason I have quite a lot of coaches still 'in the brass'! :-))

Jerry

if the panels are all the same size is it worth considering a custom printed (from your art work) transfers?  I suspect the cost would be easily offset by time saved 

as usual your soldering is first class

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again Nick. Sadly transfers aren't really an option as there is far too much variation and in any case I dont think they would be subtle enough. I think coach lining needs to be understated. I have a few ides and will report here - if they work. Anyway, the bulk of my coaches are some way off the painting stage at the moment!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again Nick. Sadly transfers aren't really an option as there is far too much variation and in any case I dont think they would be subtle enough. I think coach lining needs to be understated. I have a few ides and will report here - if they work. Anyway, the bulk of my coaches are some way off the painting stage at the moment!

Jerry

I'd be very interested to see how you tackle the lining Jerry. I've got a few Mk.1's in faux Pullman colors to line out and there is no commercially available decal of suitable fineness or colour to do the job. Like you I prefer the understated look rather than blatantly obvious and from the distances people will be looking at them the lining would be barely visible anyway. 

Tom.  

• Like 1

I'd be very interested to see how you tackle the lining Jerry. I've got a few Mk.1's in faux Pullman colors to line out and there is no commercially available decal of suitable fineness or colour to do the job. Like you I prefer the understated look rather than blatantly obvious and from the distances people will be looking at them the lining would be barely visible anyway. 

Tom.  

I have seen Ian Rathbone do lining at a show demo ad basically the way he did it was to draw the line and then to draw lines either side in the body colour to thin it down. There is no way to draw a line thin enough for true-scale 2mm lining without using a trick like this.

Plus he practises every day on cheap plastic bodies before beginning work on the precious models of his customers.

Even he commented that if you etch 2mm coach sides with scale width panelling there is not enough meat to work with for full lining.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Gold

Jerry

I seem to remember someone in 3mm painting the coaches then sratching through to the brass for gold lining.

Don

• Like 1

For the last couple of years my Monday night project at the club has been steadily working my way through the coaches I will need for Bath. At the moment its SDJR 46' bogie stock from Worsley Works etches and last night I assembled the last of nine bodies for the three rakes I'm building. These, supplemented by the seven SDJR six wheelers I've already finished, will form the backbone of the services between Bristol, Bath, Templecombe and Bournemouth. Just bogies, underframes, interiors, roofs and painting to go!!

attachicon.gifIMG_2794.JPG

Jerry

I've put up a 3D-printed roof for these coaches

Chris

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZNYJTKYX2/sdjr-46ft-roof?optionId=63153714

• RMweb Gold

I've put up a 3D-printed roof for these coaches

Chris

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZNYJTKYX2/sdjr-46ft-roof?optionId=63153714

That's brilliant, many thanks for doing these Chris -a great saving in time not having to fabricate all those roofs. I shall be ordering nine next time shapeways have one of their free shipping deals.

Jerry

I seem to remember someone in 3mm painting the coaches then sratching through to the brass for gold lining.

I've done this for the gold line round the edge of beading, but it's not worth it if the adjacent panel is white.  By the time you've scraped off enough for the gold to show, there's precious little colour left on the beading !

Jim

• RMweb Gold

post-1074-0-06228700-1499933215_thumb.jpg

This is the sort of scene I'm looking forward to being able to recreate - red and blue trains on Tucking Mill viaduct. The artist doesn't record the train but I'd suspect a Bristol (St Philips) to Bournemouth train. The Midland through coaches would have been added at Mangotsfield.

I'm a big fan of the popular post war 50s/60s period on the S&D with all its myriad of double heading combinations but, for me, nothing touches these pre-1930 views.

What's not to like!

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 19

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry the station building is a fantastic model beautifully finished

Thanks John. The frightening thing is that the station building was one of the first things I made for the layout over twenty five years ago!

Jerry

And I thought making it in 4 mm was bad enough !

It certainly sets the whole scene and purpose for making the rest of the layout Jerry.

Really enjoying this thread.... albeit quietly:)

Grahame

Spillin mistack altered

Edited by bgman