West Kirby Town: narrow gauge may be coming to town.

Dmudriver

Sounds vaguely familiar!

Got that one on our layout...

post-7179-0-91041600-1341529406.jpg

Cheers

JF

Nice one, Jon. Not a lot of people seem to know about it. Apparently the only (officially) named push/pull train in the UK.

Rod

• Like 1

I always thought it was a LYR 2-4-2t the Wirral Railway bought.

The LNWR coal tanks had widened side tanks for working on the Wirral

Hi Keith

According to my "bible" ("THE WIRRAL RAILWAY and its predecessors" by T. B. Maund FCILT) the Wirral Railway did buy an LYR 2-4-2T, in June 1921, after the 4 LNWR ones. Whilst the ex-LNWR ones were scrapped between 1924 and 1928, the ex-LYR one survived until 1952 when it was withdrawn: there is no information as to when it was scrapped. The Coal Tanks did have widened tanks, but there are also photos of some at various places with the standard side tanks!!!

It's a fascinating book!!

Rod

Hi Keith

According to my "bible" ("THE WIRRAL RAILWAY and its predecessors" by T. B. Maund FCILT) the Wirral Railway did buy an LYR 2-4-2T, in June 1921, after the 4 LNWR ones. Whilst the ex-LNWR ones were scrapped between 1924 and 1928, the ex-LYR one survived until 1952 when it was withdrawn: there is no information as to when it was scrapped. The Coal Tanks did have widened tanks, but there are also photos of some at various places with the standard side tanks!!!

It's a fascinating book!!

Rod

Hi Rod,

according to the steam loco bible - Hugh Longworth's BR Steam Locomotives 1948 - 68, it just says that 46762 was withdrawn 02/52 and by then, it had long left the Wirral system and scrapped during 1952

agree with you about Maund's book, very informative.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

I was a bit disappointed by Mr Maund's book, there a quite a few errors in the captions

on P71 (lower picture) the train is stated to be for West Kirby when the signals are off for New Brighton

on P 175 there is photo described as New Brighton when it is clearly West Kirby

on P 214 an EMU is shown arriving at Bhead North on the up when the caption states it leaving North for Liverpool

There are no doubt others but these are ones that stick in my mind.

That said I'm glad the book was published.

This is despite the fact that my photos on P219 are there without my prior knowledge (the Merseyside Historical Railway Group had used them, with my permission, in one of their books. I presume they gave permission for the section to be used en-bloc).

• Like 1

Hi Keith,

I too had noticed the caption error on page 175, (as part of the detailed research for our New Brighton layout) the others i had not noticed, as they did not draw as much interest as the New Brighton pictures and I've only been living on Wirral for eight years, so I'm very much still in the learning curve.

I did point the error our to Lightmoor Press and they acknowledged the error and said that it would be rectified for any future print run.

cheers

Mike

Hi Keith

I've checked the book and I had noticed the error on page 175, but, much like Mike, I hadn't noticed the other 2 you mention. You've got a far more detailed knowledge of the line, and the area, than I have: although born and bred in Liverpool, I've not lived there since the mid-60s!!

The knowledge you share is being really helpful, though, as I've said before .

Rod

Time for another update, but there's not much to show for it, I'm afraid!! I've connected up and tested 4 of the frogs: only 7 to go! Unfortunately, a minor (but painful!!) skin operation has restricted my movements so I can't get under the boards easily at the moment to do the rest.

So, ..... I've been playing!!! Again!!!

I've changed some wheels on some items of stock and painted the buffer stops. I have decided to have these lit, so I don't want to fasten them down until I've got the red LEDs for them and fitted those LEDs. The signals have been delivered (thanks again, Jon) but I am resisting the temptation to fit them until I've finished the work on the dead frogs. And it is hard to resist!! Plus I want to paint the sides of the track before I fit the signals.

So much to do!!!!

Off to a hotel near Manchester Airport this evening to operate on "Oldham King Street Parcels" on Saturday at the exhibition in the Concorde display area (I believe) in the airport viewing park. It means I can do some plane spotting as well!! That new Airbus (A380) is some piece of kit!! And I've got a fondness for anything with the "SWISS" branding on it!!! (Many happy holidays in the Bernese Oberland).

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I think it's time I came back with an update!! There's not a lot to see as I'm afraid I've realised I've succumbed a bit to a "butterfly" style of modelling: do something here, then move on, then move on again - without actually completing anything!! It's what happens (certainly to me, anyway) when you get things running and something here needs fettling, then something there - be it track, points, locos, stock or electrics. So I've changed wheels on stock, swapped bogies around on DMUs (and then put them back again!!!), changed chips (and sent a couple back!) etc.

I've not finished energising all the frogs yet as everything runs over them pretty well OK, but I do aim to do that, then I can get the wiring sorted out under the board and get the signals in - their locations are marked out and part-drilled.

I've just fitted the LEDs to the buffer stops and will fit those to the track soon. Interestingly, 2 of the LEDs have come out of Heljan locos and are noticeably dimmer than the others I bought from a retailer, even though I've fitted the latter with 1K0 resistors. Has anyone any ideas as to why this might be?

I'm thinking about getting a new power supply for the LEDs - I'm currently using 12v, but am thinking of going to 9v. Any advice or thoughts as to the advisability of this?

Hopefully by the next update I'll have made enough progress to put a few photos on here.

Rod

Hi Rod,

LEDs come in all shapes, sizes, colours, brightness, and current consumption and frankly are a mystery to me! All I know is that I stick a resistor varying from 470 ohms to 1k5 ohms between the + supply and the + tag on the LED!

I'm sure the more technical bods can explain but I would imagine they are rated to perform a job at specific brightness similar to bulbs and the ex Heljan ones would have been specified by them for tail lights. Wish I could be more help but electronics is all a bit of a mystery to me! :senile:

JF

Hi Rod,

LEDs come in all shapes, sizes, colours, brightness, and current consumption and frankly are a mystery to me! All I know is that I stick a resistor varying from 470 ohms to 1k5 ohms between the + supply and the + tag on the LED!

I'm sure the more technical bods can explain but I would imagine they are rated to perform a job at specific brightness similar to bulbs and the ex Heljan ones would have been specified by them for tail lights. Wish I could be more help but electronics is all a bit of a mystery to me! :senile:

JF

Hi Jon

We're in the same boat when it comes to electronics!! I'll just wire them up - in parallel - and see what happens!!! Will let you know.

Rod

Hi all

At last I've made some progress again!! I've now wired up all the frogs and everything runs smooth as anything - electrically, at least. I've fitted LEDs to the buffers, as I said last time and those are now fitted on the layout and working. This is a pic of how I've put the LED in: the wiring and resistor are put on the side deliberately so they are not visible from the normal viewing position - plus I've painted over them since taking this photo:

post-7571-0-87390400-1344715154_thumb.jpg

This pic shows them all wired up:

post-7571-0-73159100-1344715592_thumb.jpg

The bus bars are pieces of N gauge track I found in my modelling room. I said in my last post that I was thinking of reducing the voltage. I bought a variable voltage transformer and now have them on 5v. I originally fitted 1K0 resistors (see first pic above) but thought I would try another: it reduced the brightness, so I fitted an extra one to 3 others - these can be seen above. I could have taken these off and fitted a 2K2 but I've loads of resistors and the originals were glued on, anyway. They'll all be covered by the platform eventually. The stops on the platform roads have had the rear supports taken off to give me a bit more platform length.

The middle 2 are from Heljan locos and haven't needed extra resistors. It's not easy to see on the pic, but they are a bit dimmer. I've also sprayed the track sides dark rust and this can be seen in the next pic, along with the lit buffer stop lamps: (I realise I've forgotten to paint one buffer beam before I fitted it!!)

post-7571-0-76638800-1344716133_thumb.jpg

I've made a start with the access to the garden - I gritted my teeth and cut into the wall of my new shed!! It needs enlarging, obviously, but I want to get the baseboard levels right first, then I'll make it taller for track laying. here's a pic:

post-7571-0-90746800-1344716346_thumb.jpg

Finally, here's a view of the approach to the station from under the road bridge: not in the right place for the prototype but it's about the only way I can fit it in:

post-7571-0-67578700-1344716659_thumb.jpg

I've only just noticed the kinks in the stock rails!! Still, nothing derails there and you can't see it side-on, so I'll leave it!!

So that's the progress up until tonight. I'm not sure what to do tomorrow: I'll decide in the morning!!

Rod

• Like 5

Today's efforts, started after rain delayed my hedge- and lawn-cutting activities, have been directed towards building the platform. Completely unplanned, but I have a lot of card stored so started giving some thought to what I could use it for. I've done the side walls and some of the strengthening pieces, but more of the latter are needed yet before the platform top goes on.

It's not worth photographing yet, but I aim to finish it tomorrow so will put pics on then.

I did get the lawn and hedge done as well after the rain stopped and things dried (before the next shower!!) However, the rain meant I've had to cover up the hole in the shed wall I made yesterday!!! And the forecast isn't too good for the rest of the week so it looks like outside will have to wait, and it will be inside work for a few more days!!!

Rod

A bit more of an update: I've finished the platform, though there's a bit more gluing to do. In fact, there's a couple of weights sitting on it tonight after adding a bit more glue. I've never really used card before, but I'm getting quite into it. This was only meant to be temporary - just to get something looking reasonable - but I have a feeling it might be left for a bit longer than I'm planning!! Still, we shall see!!

I think I've said it before, but an 0 gauge layout in a 22' shed soon to be extended outside does take a lot of time. I'd rather have it than an 8' plank, though!!

Here are a couple of pics of the platform. First, the base:

post-7571-0-89656800-1344979613_thumb.jpg

Then with the platform surface on:

post-7571-0-85667300-1344979694_thumb.jpg

The damp looking section about 2 thirds of the way along is exactly that!! I found one of the layers of the cardboard had come away - after I'd cut it!! - so I have stuck it back with white glue.

I'm now working on the concourse - I've done most of the base - so will post a pic when that's done. Then I've got to find out how to finish it off: I think there's a card modelling forum on RMweb that I'll have to tap into.

More soon.

Rod

• Like 6

Looking good so far Rod! Beware of card in the shed as the weather can get to it although I'm sure there's ways of preventing that. If you can get it, Foamex is a good material for structural modelling. It's the stuff used to make shop front signs etc.

Don't forget to leave a space for the signal at the end of the platform! :locomotive: .

JF

Looking good so far Rod! Beware of card in the shed as the weather can get to it although I'm sure there's ways of preventing that. If you can get it, Foamex is a good material for structural modelling. It's the stuff used to make shop front signs etc.

Don't forget to leave a space for the signal at the end of the platform! :locomotive: .

JF

Hi Jon

I was a bit wary of card in the shed but, as I said, the intention is that it is only temporary: if it does start to buckle that will hasten the replacement along. I've not heard of Foamex before, but I'll make some enquiries.

I have remembered to leave space for the signal!! In this close up (which I didn't include before) there's a loop of green wire at the end of the platform between the tracks: that marks the spot!! I put it in mainly to keep clear of the space under the board when I was wiring. Obviously the hole will be bigger than that, but I've kept well clear with the wires underneath. The rectangle closer to the camera was where it was going to go, but I've moved it back a few centimetres to give a bit more space. The platform will go backwards a few mm, too.

post-7571-0-32589400-1345065021_thumb.jpg

Rod

PS. You can see from the rail on the left of the photo - and the blue feed wire - that I've only sprayed what you see from a normal viewpoint!! The red feed wire will be hidden by the ballast.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

At the weekend just gone I was looking at a couple of the actual signals from West Kirby, the twin discs replaced an LNWR signal, I was invited by the S&T to assist if I wanted the signal, so I did, using a trolley to take the signal to the new site !, the two miniature arms from that still exist and I saw both of them again, also the blade (arm) from the calling on signal under the inner home.

Looking good, keep it up !

• Like 2

I've made a bit more progress these last few days. Not outside because the weather's not been too good, but on the platform. I've now done the concourse and I've added detail to the station building that was lurking in the background on some of the recent photos. This is a general view of the concourse:

post-7571-0-26715800-1345229271_thumb.jpg

The buffers look like they are different sizes!! That's purely perspective as the ones on the platform roads are further back that the other 4!! The station building is a Skytrex kit which I bought s/h and unmade off another club member: it's pretty basic and the roof doesn't fit properly but, to be honest, it looks OK from normal viewing distance - which is my usual yardstick. This is a close-up of it. You can see where the roof doesn't fit properly and if it rained, the water would miss the gutters!!

post-7571-0-33874800-1345229443_thumb.jpg

In fact, there weren't enough drainpipes in the kit so I had to adopt an Alpine solution on one corner. Fortunately that's the back corner that can't be seen normally!! This is what I mean:

post-7571-0-46208300-1345229676_thumb.jpg

Finally, a view from the platform:

post-7571-0-26251300-1345229724_thumb.jpg

Obviously it all needs painting yet, but that's for the next session(s)! I'm hoping the rain might ease off next week so that I can work outside, but if not there's this painting to do and a chip to fit into my 3-car 108.

Now off to Llangollen for some 12":1ft DMU driving tomorrow!! More soon.

Rod

• Like 8

Great Progress my friend. I used very thin mdf for the top of my platform? I get them in a4 sizes from my wife who gets them from work. They pack paper with them and then get thrown away. If you want any let me know

Paul R