Plastic loco brake gear

Many years ago, well probably 10-15, I bought a number of sets of plastic loco brake gear from a trader I saw at several shows and swapmeets.

They were fairly generic, but robust, moulded in black plastic and cost the princely sum of 75p a set.

With a bit of stiffening with wire and superglue, they made up into a reasonable representation. They were also strong enough to add pick up wires to, and being plastic they were insulated from the loco frames.

Thing is I ran out a couple of years ago and can't find any more.

I know that Slater's make a set but they are nowhere near as robust, and quite a bit pricier.

The trader was something and something, he used to do a lot of weathered models and came from the Coventry area I think.

Can anybody help please?

I'm typing this on a library computer as I'm away from home at the moment and company policy now doesn't allow me access to forums from either my Blackberry or on company computers, although I can read the forum, just not post to it.

With that in mind I'll offer my thanks for any ideas now, as I don't want to be seen as ungrateful.

The next chance I'll get to use the library computer again could be next Friday.

I don't know if they stocked them, but could the trader you're referring to be D and P Models of Coventry?

This is their entry on UK Model Shops: http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40513-DandP_Models

The website link doesn't work but the address and phone may yield a result. They certainly fit your description as ISTR they carried a range of detailing bits as well as selling locos.

Andy

Archived