SQL errors

Hi Kenton,

Maybe, but great swathes of the internet now use javascript, the jquery library and other Ajax functions. It's not really fair to blame IPS for going with the flow and using the prevailing technology.

While I accept that the vast majority of surfers of the internet have not the first clue about what is actually going on on their PC let alone the quantity of tracking and other information that passes between their computer and various servers around the world. For that matter are blissfully ignorant and accept that the institutions can, and indeed have the right to gather any such information. I believe that it is not, even for a hobby site.

My high restriction on javascript is probably unusual, however it does not justify poor programming practice and the deliberate breaking of functionality that once worked perfectly. The addition of totally new features is accepted, in part, especially if it is difficult to enable that functionality in other conventional ways.

The strange thing is that I do not seem to come across these problems with many other sites I visit. So it seems to bee peculiar to IPB. I am sure the SQL problem is linked to the poor programming and project management at IPB, which is why I have grave doubts that throwing more money at the problem will resolve it. As we seem to be agreeing the problem lies with IPB software and not simply the machine or its location.

I dont understand Kenton.

You have nearly 5000 posts here on RMWeb and yet you seem to be complaining about it. If you dont like the software / forum then why are you using it so much? There are alternatives out there...

Missy.

Hi Missy,

Never have I said I dislike the forum (or the community it holds and the post count as always is a poor reflection of quality. In fact like CK of the parish and several others the number is a bit of a sham as it has been reset to 0 on at least 2 occasions (In fact it would be approaching 15000 - but as I said not reflective of quality).

As for other forums, I have joined a few but they just seem to lack the buzz that RMWeb has always had since the start. Nearly all are mere copies either started by miscreants or rejects, or just simply far too focused for my broad interests. Take NGRM-online a good forum with plenty of top quality content and fine for my OO9 and O-16.5 modelling moments but I also model O and OO (and even N) and still have an interest in EM, in-fact I have an interest in most areas of modelling, with perhaps the exception of BR Blue ;)

As for the software, I don't think I could be clearer, and am not alone in believing it was the wrong choice. But not for the introduction of Blogs or even the Gallery just simply that it claims more than it delivers and is inconsistent.

I struggle on, though always wonder how many others just give up.

[Ed] and still having to fight this useless editor.

There are alternatives out there...

I think that sounded a bit harsh. There's nothing wrong with good mannered, well argued debate, no matter how raw the topic or target.

The fact is, it is a pain in the rear and no matter what your thoughts are toward the man at the top, it does annoy. Not that it's his fault, of course, he has my complete sympathy. I've read people say that this is a free forum and that we should not complain and put up with it but that disregards one of the most important marketing tools for winning and retaining 'customers' - satisfaction and to some degree, reputation.

Without a voice, constructive feedback, even a bit of venting, how else do we show satisfaction? In this thread there are complaints, offers of help, technical suggestions, support and critism. For such a small community, that is brilliant, and quite satisfying.

Steve

• RMweb Gold
The fact is, it is a pain in the rear and no matter what your thoughts are toward the man at the top, it does annoy.

What makes this subject a bit bad-tempered is that no-one actually knows what is causing the problem. If they did, it would have been fixed.

The hope is that either

1. a fresh install on new servers will solve the problem, or

2. significantly greater server capacity will solve the problem, or

3. the tech team at the new hosting provider will be able to discover and fix the problem. They are no doubt very confident that they can do so.

That's 3 good chances of a successful outcome. So now it's fingers crossed, and put up with the problem with good grace for just a few more weeks.

Martin.

"While I accept that the vast majority of surfers of the internet have not the first clue about what is actually going on on their PC let alone the quantity of tracking and other information that passes between their computer and various servers around the world. For that matter are blissfully ignorant and accept that the institutions can, and indeed have the right to gather any such information. I believe that it is not, even for a hobby site."

Yep, Kenton, that sure is me and just a few others I hope! A considerable percentage of the posts on this subject is totally incomprehensible to me BUT what I do know is that upon my return from holiday I found that I had been logged out and unable to gain access to RMweb-in desperation I despatched a cry for help and, despite all his many problems and preoccupations, Andy had me back on in a very short space of time,accompanied by a very courteous Email.That is superlative service and yet another example of what makes RMweb special. Thanks mate.

I had an interesting error this morning. I went to the site and wasn't logged in, so I attempted to log in and got a message that I did not have permission to do that - hit refresh and hey presto I'm logged in fine and of course posting here.

It may or may not be connected but thought as we're talking about error messages it was worth mentioning.

As an IT Security professional I am less than enthusiastic about websites that run Java; my solution is simple - I run Firefox with the NoScript add-in and I permit RMWeb, which I trust, full Java access. This add-in blocks all Java scripts until I permit them either on a permanent or temporary basis.

Sorry if this is a bit OT

Cheers,

Dave

Andy

would it be helpful if when we get an SQL message we post it to you (as an email or PM)?

Or would if be just more noise?

Ian

Thanks Ian but I think that would blow up my inbox!

Guest Belgian

Hi Kenton,

Maybe, but great swathes of the internet now use javascript, the jquery library and other Ajax functions. It's not really fair to blame IPS for going with the flow and using the prevailing technology. Many users have become familiar with such web sites and can reasonably expect RMweb to look and feel similar.

This is a hobby web site primarily intended for home computers. The vast majority of such computers do not have javascript turned off. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a site about toy trains to be designed for high-security corporate or government environments.

regards,

Martin.

I thought this site was a bit better than that.

JE

As an IT Security professional I am less than enthusiastic about websites that run Java; my solution is simple - I run Firefox with the NoScript add-in and I permit RMWeb, which I trust, full Java access. This add-in blocks all Java scripts until I permit them either on a permanent or temporary basis...

I would have hoped that an "IT Security professional" would know the difference between Java and JavaScript :O But, yes, NoScript is a useful add-on for selectively enabling/disabling Java, JavaScript, Flash, Silerlight, etc. from running in Firefox.

Nick

I would have hoped that an "IT Security professional" would know the difference between Java and JavaScript :O But, yes, NoScript is a useful add-on for selectively enabling/disabling Java, JavaScript, Flash, Silerlight, etc. from running in Firefox.

Nick

I do but kept it simple as I didn't want to confuse the matter as most people in my experience don't know the difference between Java and Javascript.

Dave

I do but kept it simple...

Glad to hear it, Dave, but surely it would have been simpler, less confusing and more accurate in this context to refer to JavaScript and not even mention Java?

For those who might be confused, they are quite different animals.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

I do but kept it simple as I didn't want to confuse the matter as most people in my experience don't know the difference between Java and Javascript.

Dave

And Java is really west of Krakatoa but it didn't make such a catchy film title so they 'moved' it. Right that's my knowledge of Java totally exhausted and I'll go back to playing with trains 'cos they're something I'm beginning to get the hang of (but I always enjoy 'experts' debating things with each other - even if I haven't got a clue what they're talking about, even when it's just a hobby) :jester:

The hope is that either

1. a fresh install on new servers will solve the problem, or

2. significantly greater server capacity will solve the problem, or

3. the tech team at the new hosting provider will be able to discover and fix the problem. They are no doubt very confident that they can do so.

That's 3 good chances of a successful outcome. So now it's fingers crossed

Martin, I just love your optimism. :D I, on the otherhand, am a bit of a pessimist, and tend to like at least some thoughts going into a potential Plan B, (or a what the hell do we do if it doesn't work).

For those who might be confused, they are quite different animals.

Sadly that vast majority are totally oblivious to the difference (which is on the surface quite subtle) and it probably is about as understandable as "cookies" "html code" "bbcode" and even the relationship between servers and clients. They do not care all they want is to click and get a page that looks familiar. Even the SQL error page is disconcerting to them and they do not even begin to understand it or wish to try to understand the meaningless gobbledegook. They would probably understand better a simple "RMWEB is having problems, please refresh the page, or go away and please come back later". They do not need the off putting SQL error message. The message, as some of us have learned, that is of no use to the site administrator.

• RMweb Gold
Martin, I just love your optimism. :D I, on the otherhand, am a bit of a pessimist, and tend to like at least some thoughts going into a potential Plan B, (or a what the hell do we do if it doesn't work).

Well there's no need to panic. Even if the transfer fails completely, for a limited time Jim would be able to resurrect the present arrangements with little more than a DNS update, so we would be no worse off than we are now while a Plan B is worked out.

I'd be a bit wary that we are moving to cloud servers, which is a very different situation from having a man hands-on in the data centre with a screwdriver. But in theory it should all work. There are quite a few sites using IPB apparently without problems, so there is no real reason why RMweb can't be one of them. I suspect that few of them have the same level of image content as RMweb, or the volume of user uploads, which may be why we have had so many problems.

Another factor to bear in mind is that a director of the new hosting company is an active member of RMweb. The technical support team will no doubt know about it if he can't post an update to his Irish layout topic. :)

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Mostly I don't have many squirrels but if I press a page number rather than 'next' then they turn up. I have also taken to closing RMweb if it doesn't get to where I want to go quickly and reopening it afresh and its speed goes back to normal.

Archived