SQL errors

• RMweb Gold
Is it time to lock this thread maybe

Why are folks always asking for topics to be locked? This topic isn't causing the slightest harm or offence to anyone, there's no inappropriate content, no libels or copyright issues, no-one having a slanging match. If you don't want to read any more of it, you can just stop?

regards,

Martin.

Blimey, calm yourself. I was merely pointing out that ongoing reports on people's connection problems isn't adding anything to what we already know, and reading Buffalo's comments on the previous page made me wonder if there was any value in people having to keep opening this thread and battle through the connection problems only to read that someone has been having... connection problems.

And I don't remember calling for many threads to be locked, so ranting at me for other's comments isn't really fair, is it?

Duncan - you would get to hear about news as the thread would be reopened when such news became available.

Keep it open though, it was only a suggestion.

Dave mentions my tongue-in-cheek remark on the previous page, but I'd rather people read my earlier comment and various others saying much the same thing. While the thread continues, it does seem appropriate to repeat at regular intervals that there is nothing that we as users can do that will either increase or decrease the frequency of SQL and Driver errors (other than perhaps all avoiding RMweb and doing something else, but I'll not suggest that)..

I seem to be getting more SQL errors. Usually on my first login after starting the computer. Usually all I do is shut down my broswer then open it again it normally starts OK the 2nd time around. I'm running Firefox on XP.

Jamie, the frequency of errors varies widely, but it's not caused by you logging in and there's no need to shut down your browser. Just press the refresh button or hit F5.

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage...

The RMweb server slows down when these errors occur and we often have long waits before the error page appears. It's possible that IE might timeout (i.e. give up trying) when this happens and show this message. However, it's more likely to be a problem with your connection. You would also see something similar if you enter a non-existent address or if the site was actually down (e.g. during the early morning backup period). If you press the "more information" button, IE will show you a wide range of possible causes...

Nick

• RMweb Gold
I was merely pointing out that ongoing reports on people's connection problems isn't adding anything to what we already know, and reading Buffalo's comments on the previous page made me wonder if there was any value in people having to keep opening this thread and battle through the connection problems only to read that someone has been having... connection problems.

But Dave, you don't have to keep opening it. It's entirely up to you whether to follow a topic or not. If you regard it as a battle it would surely be better not to?

And you can't possibly know what someone might be about to post. At present no-one really knows what is causing the SQL errors. It's quite feasible that within RMweb's thousands of members there is someone with server experience who can put his finger on the problem and help to cure it.

I wasn't ranting at you specifically. It's bad enough when the mods seem to be itching to lock topics for no discernible reason, without having the members actually asking them to do it. You never know what golden nugget someone may be about to post.

Regarding the reports of connection problems -- you cannot stop them. If they are not posted in this topic they will simply get posted in some other topic, or a new topic started. It makes sense to leave a topic like this running so that they are all in one place.

regards,

Martin.

The RMweb server slows down when these errors occur and we often have long waits before the error page appears. It's possible that IE might timeout (i.e. give up trying) when this happens and show this message. However, it's more likely to be a problem with your connection. You would also see something similar if you enter a non-existent address or if the site was actually down (e.g. during the early morning backup period). If you press the "more information" button, IE will show you a wide range of possible causes...

Nick

I have no problem with my connection Nick, my browser is fine and any favorites are all ok it's RM. when i post i get the same message and cannot log in for at least 3 mins.

It's bad enough when the mods seem to be itching to lock topics for no discernible reason,

regards,

Martin.

We are not itching to lock any thread or in fact itching to moderate Martin. If we do decide to lock a thread it is for reasons that we deem suitable and that you seem to disagree with. However we have been through this countless times with you and it is apparent that we shall never find common ground.

For the rest of the members we shall obviously report as and when a solution is found be it the new host or that nugget that someone is out there with and not posted yet. In the meantime all we can ask is for patience as and when it locks up and for members to check the threads they have been attempting to post in to ensure they have not double (or more) posted.

• RMweb Gold

Just finished reading all 10 pages of this topic over a period of 3 days and not 1 SQL error. Is this a record?

Chris

Reading the thread is not normally the problem, it's replying.

But I've noticed that using this quick reply is more prone to errors than using the "Reply to this topic' button at the top.

• RMweb Gold
it is apparent that we shall never find common ground.

Hi Mod5,

I agree, I don't think we shall. My apologies for raising it again.

I can understand deleting topics or posts. But locking them defies any logic I can understand, so I do have to bite my tongue when I see it happening. I promise to try harder.

regards,

Martin.

Just had my first SQL pink page error for a long time, it happened when i was posting on the forum, i restarted the page after a few minutes and all seems ok, even the post i sent has been placed on the forum.

The time was about 5.45 pm, dunno if that makes any difference with maybe a lot of people signing in at that time.

I have no problem with my connection Nick, my browser is fine and any favorites are all ok it's RM. when i post i get the same message and cannot log in for at least 3 mins.

I don't normally use IE unless I have to, but over the last couple of days I've had an IE (v9.0.8 ) window open while I view the site in my normal browser, Firefox. Whenever I've noticed a slow down which normally ends with an SQL or Driver error I've fired off a request in IE. On every occasion, IE has responded in exactly the same way as Firefox, i.e. a long wait eventually followed by an SQL or Driver error page. The IE "cannot display" error page has not appeared once. From that, I'm still inclined to think the problem is at your end, particularly as you appear to say that you need to login again. Have you been through the normal cookie deleting, etc?

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

I got this error today:

An error occured with the SQL server:

mySQL query error: SELECT * FROM ip_skin_cache WHERE cache_set_id=12 AND cache_type IN ('css', 'replacements')

This is not a problem with IP.Board but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.

SQL's are part and parcel of RMweb now and I'm sure we all feel like having a jolly old groan when loosing stuff we have spent time on preparing to upload or being unable to even get on the forum for hours on end. Such a months long problem would never have sustained in th'owden days but those days are over and it's a brutal fact that we can either like it or lump it.

I got this error today...

You are joking, aren't you? I can't believe that someone with your post count has not seen one before :no: If that's the case, though, and if the move to the new servers fixes the problem, then at least you haven't been left out and have had the opportunity to share in the experience :jester:

Nick

You are joking, aren't you? I can't believe that someone with your post count has not seen one before :no: If that's the case, though, and if the move to the new servers fixes the problem, then at least you haven't been left out and have had the opportunity to share in the experience :jester:

Nick

I've just been too bone idle to copy and paste it until now. I thought I'd just hop on the band wagon and stick my two bob's worth in.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

All seems OK at this end but there may have been short interruptions whilst some maintenance was being carried out.

No errors, but it has been getting the go slow, then speed up routine for me the last few days.  Within the last 5 minutes, it took about 90 seconds to get the front page to load

Within the last 5 minutes, it took about 90 seconds to get the front page to load

Yes, that coincides with another feature being added (A panel on the index page showing updates to any topics you have chosen to 'Follow').

Archived