Uckfield Model Railway Exhibition - 20th & 21st October 2012

adrianmc

Which layout was voted best in show? I forgot to vote :( didn't have a pencil at hand.

My apologies to anyone I pushed and shoved to catch a fleeting glimpse of The Loop which I think was very badly placed in a corner. Stoating bank was an interesting piece of modelling but almost too much going on, movement is one thing but just too much for me. For me top 3 were:

1 Crumley, 2 The Loop, 3 Wyebridge. There was only one layout that couldn't be judged IMO as it was in near darkness or with lighting pointing at the viewer, so couldn't make an opinion on the actual modelling.

• RMweb Gold

Which layout was voted best in show? I forgot to vote :( didn't have a pencil at hand.

My apologies to anyone I pushed and shoved to catch a fleeting glimpse of The Loop which I think was very badly placed in a corner. Stoating bank was an interesting piece of modelling but almost too much going on, movement is one thing but just too much for me. For me top 3 were:

1 Crumley, 2 The Loop, 3 Wyebridge. There was only one layout that couldn't be judged IMO as it was in near darkness or with lighting pointing at the viewer, so couldn't make an opinion on the actual modelling.

Best in show was a draw between Totnes and Crumley.

Not sure where else the Loop could have gone - corners have to be filled and small layouts are perfect.

Jerry

Totnes was stunning, although I felt I needed binoculars to see the detail towards the back. It would have been nice to have been able to move round the sides to see more! There weren't many trains moving either, but I didn't really care, it was still worthy of joint winner.

I've already said I liked Crumley best ... I'm an NG fan, and it was a superbly modelled scenic model, outside the box and very well designed and presented, but perhaps most of all it is one of few layouts (and the only one there) that is a model of a railway, rather than just a model of a station or yard.

As I said though all the layouts were excellent. Stoating bank is very original, and a great example of what can be done in a small space, as is Fawsett Street, and The Loop - another superbly modelled layout. I agree it wasn't well positioned. But then Tre Ponti was a beautiful model, and while mainline layouts aren't my thing Diesels in the Duchy was good too, and ... well, I said it was a good show didn't I?

Best in show was a draw between Totnes and Crumley.

Not sure where else the Loop could have gone - corners have to be filled and small layouts are perfect.

Jerry

So mine could have been the casting vote :D :D

Understand the positioning of small layouts to fill unused spaces but the positioning of The Loop in a dead corner (emergency exit) facing a busy trade stand (Realistic) and in the most inaccessible of the rooms, I felt could have been better positioned. Swapped out with the model engineering stand perhaps.

I think though there was one too many layouts/stands for the space available at this show. Although I overheard many people singing praise for the friendliness of the show and the quality of layouts on display at 11:30, there were also complaints about congestion and not being able to get to see some of them. There were 3 quite large and distinguished layouts at the show each having at least 2 sides that might have been better in a corner - but as ever this is a juggling act given a finite space and to be fair an awkward set of rooms. There is often a problem with getting punters to flow round exhibits, and in this case Crumley was causing a massive bottleneck being at the entrance. You entered a was greeted by this very impressive layout and didn't want to move on round the corner, the doorway immediately blocked preventing others from getting into the hall.

What sort of movement would you of thought more appropriate? It's our first exhibition layout so we more than welcome to constructive criticism!

I understand that sometimes stuff on Stoating can happen quite frequently, but we do this more for the kids and general public who's perception of prototypical running is perhaps limited compared to us who are quite well versed. We try and counter the many movements by using stock the enthusiast may appreciate, that's detailed and weathered to be a bit different.

It's hard to try and please both parties but as I said we welcome criticism and do what we can to provide a show with a layout that covers as many bases as we can and makes as many people as happy as it can.

Oly

What sort of movement would you of thought more appropriate? It's our first exhibition layout so we more than welcome to constructive criticism!

I understand that sometimes stuff on Stoating can happen quite frequently, but we do this more for the kids and general public who's perception of prototypical running is perhaps limited compared to us who are quite well versed. We try and counter the many movements by using stock the enthusiast may appreciate, that's detailed and weathered to be a bit different.

It's hard to try and please both parties but as I said we welcome criticism and do what we can to provide a show with a layout that covers as many bases as we can and makes as many people as happy as it can.

Oly

I can understand the problem of trying to please everyone but at the moment of my watching the layout there was no one else other than me and tbh very few children in sight at the show while I was there. I am also one of those who are critical of some layouts for not having enough movement. But this is almost always reserved for the big showpiece layouts (not so on the big ones at this show). On a small plank layout with very minimal (but appropriate) track, there needs to be movement on scene, a pause (shunting) and then movement off scene. All that was happening while I was there were an assortment of trains flying through from left to right, right to left without any pause or respectful gap in between. The questions I wanted to ask about items of stock seemed to be pointless as another train was flying past. The movement was also generally too quick for the scene you were painting in my mind - locos struggling up an embankment and straining back down it with heavy loads. The problem with too much movement is that it can be distracting from what was really good modelling detail (the telegraph wires, the check rails, the overall bleakness of the location ...). It is a good layout and one that I look forward to seeing again.

How was Llangerisech? I was interested in seeing it completed but couldn't make the show on either day.

Lots of derailments when I passed it by (may have only been an odd occasion) but hand of god feeling your way down a long rake of wagons and arguingdiscussions among operators on which wagon was the problem is never going to endear the public. But it may have also been suffering in that same cramped room (it was Llangerisech that you had to push through the crowds to get to The Loop).

I can understand the problem of trying to please everyone but at the moment of my watching the layout there was no one else other than me and tbh very few children in sight at the show while I was there. I am also one of those who are critical of some layouts for not having enough movement. But this is almost always reserved for the big showpiece layouts (not so on the big ones at this show). On a small plank layout with very minimal (but appropriate) track, there needs to be movement on scene, a pause (shunting) and then movement off scene. All that was happening while I was there were an assortment of trains flying through from left to right, right to left without any pause or respectful gap in between. The questions I wanted to ask about items of stock seemed to be pointless as another train was flying past. The movement was also generally too quick for the scene you were painting in my mind - locos struggling up an embankment and straining back down it with heavy loads. The problem with too much movement is that it can be distracting from what was really good modelling detail (the telegraph wires, the check rails, the overall bleakness of the location ...). It is a good layout and one that I look forward to seeing again.

That's totally understandable, and we'll take it on board, we have done with most other things. We need to do some work on the track and that'll enable us to run at a much more prototypical speed rather than trying to fly over the rough bits.

If we do get any more invites (!) come and see us and hopefully it'll be bit slower with some (maybe) kit built stock.

May I say 'thank you very much' for your very kind comments towards The Loop!

Sadly, although I was able to bring it down on Friday evening - due to circumstances not entirely within my control,I had double-booked myself, and I spent (a very pleasant) weekend at the Peterborough Show. I'm therefore sorry I was not able to meet people myself, but I'm very glad if the layout was enjoyed by many.

If The Loop was second choice to Crumley in the opinion of even one person, I'm flattered immensely, and although I had to leave before most of the layouts arrived, I gather the standard was extremely high.

I must say, I'm extremely nervous, as 'The End of The Line' has its first (rather hurried) outing to ExpoNG on Saturday, and of course it's untried (exhibition-wise) with its complications of conveyor, DCC, RC truck, unfamiliar operators etc., and as has been pointed out - quality of operation matters!

A belated thanks to Adrian and the Uckfield club for their hospitality over the weekend. The 'Bomber' AKA Crumley and Little Wickhill, behaved reasonably well with only a few mishaps, mainly down to operator error and we have given up trying to fix those!

Reasonable trip back to the frozen North but rather foggy most of the way, still no crashes, not even on the M25 or A14!

Hopefully see some of you RMwebbers on the circuit (or circus - maybe) sometime

Peter

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived