class 318 conversion from Bachmann 150

Well being a miserly sort Ive decided to build a class 318 for the upcoming Neale Bank layout rather than buying a bratchells version. For this I am using a Bachmann class 150/2 for the outer ends and a cut and shut of my class 150/1 for the inner power car. the cut and shut has been done now and I will post some pictures later but heres a question, does anyone have any detail drawings or good photos showing the underframe equipment for each car. The internet is a desolate place for such things.

Cav

Very much so Pete but not so easy without the details to work to. Ive made good progress so far on bodywork but I want to start on the chassis detail now also. I will certainly have a gander at the above link to see if there is anything Ive not seen already, cheers for that.

Cav

Having completed one of these myself, one would have thought a 318 would have been the same style of underframe as the similar 317/2s. When doing mine, I found they were closer in style to that under the PMSO of the 320/1/2 family, certainly insofar as the battery boxes at the non-pan end. I've had a look to see if I have any pics of the PMS of my one or not, but I haven't - plenty of the full unit! It won't be until Sunday before I can get to where it is though.

HTH,

Cheers Tim. Im sure I can wait until then. Anyway heres a quick picture taken this morning of the power car so far. Not going too badly I think. The none powered end cars are behind. Nothing done bodywise to them yet apart from pulling the roof vents off.

post-6894-0-98091300-1341573008_thumb.jpg

Cav

Couple of quick progress shots, not much progress due to other stuff but I've managed to do a fair job of the driving cars underframes and added a modified Kadee at the outer ends to look like a fair representation of the units actual coupler whilst still working as a coupler should I feel the need to make another unit in the future and run them as a pair.

Hoping to get a fair bit more done over the next week. The underframe of the power car is going to be fully scratch built so is going to take most of the time I think.

post-6894-0-89014200-1341868879_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-10590500-1341869130_thumb.jpg

Cav

Looking forward to seeing this, enjoying the progress so far. What is the finished product going to look like? Will it be a Strathclyde "red" or one of the recent refurbished units?

Hi Scott thanks for the interest. It will be one of the strathclyde orange and black. The later carmine and cream units are a bit late for the time period that both Outon Road and Neale Bank are set. The unit is mainly being built for Neale Bank which has a 1985 to 1995 time frame allowing a variety of stock to be run. It would be a shame not to run the unit on Outon Road also though so may have to transport the location north of the border given the unit. Im sure a quick lick of paint on the station furniture would do for the move. Maybe change the name to Ootnay Way haha.

Cav

Guest 40-something

I'll be following this thread with interest Cav, remember being a passenger in these units many many many times over the years.

Reminds me that I fell asleep in one after an evening at t'pub, was woken up by the ticket collector miles past my stop and got thrown off! Last train of the night too and no money left! Had a 10/11 mile walk home through dark countryside!!!

Well I hope I can create some memories for you Joe. After a wet visit to Doncaster yesterday I managed to get some reasonable shots of the underframe of the power car of a class 321 unit, one side better than the other though tbh. Looks to be the same (the none powered cars are different it seems though) This should help me to scratch build some boxes at any rate.

post-6894-0-98995800-1342302556_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-81886300-1342302654_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-32329700-1342302730_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-44056300-1342302967_thumb.jpg

More modelling to do now!!

Cav

I love the tightlock couplers using Kadees, they look great - I've got to make a 321 at some point so I'll 'borrow' your design :)

I took some photos of a 322 at exactly the same spot in Doncaster station when researching bogies for my 325, how weird is that?

post-9324-0-60985100-1342348679_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Was in Lanark on Saturday morning and noticed 318256 sitting there so nipped in and got some shots with my phone.

23 shots in the following album - http://www.asterias.co.uk/kaleidoscape/thumbnails.php?album=460

Will try and nip back with a better camera when time permits

KennyM

http://www.asterias.co.uk/kaleidoscape

There are 10 types of people in the world.

Those that understand binary and those that do not! ‹(•¿•)›

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kenny those are great. Ill be cracking on with this project now Im back from my hols. Hoping to have it running for Model Rail Live so need to make a push to finish it now.

Cav

Well had a chance to do a bit today. Filled and re ribbed the roof vents, added the vent near the cab and added the little grilles by the windows at the corridor connector ends. These are some little etches that Pete Harvey kindly donated and they look pretty good. Ive managed to get some primer on too so hopefully not too long til the orange coat. I have also modded up some spare class 158 bogies that I had to better represent the power car bogies. These were intended as a stop gap until I sourced the proper ones however I think they look reasonably good so not sure that I will change them now. Anyway heres a few pics.

post-6894-0-57328800-1346010070_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-01779300-1346010100_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-22588700-1346010152_thumb.jpg

Cav

Hi Cav,

All looking fine, aside from a few important details as follows: All three vehicles should have at least one access hatch on the roof, with the DTSL having two of them next to each other. There is also some sort of vent between them though I don't know what it is for exactly. All I can say is that I worked from a few photographs to do my own one. The ventilation grilles on the ends should actually be full-height instead of just the grilles themselves. I used Jim Smith-Wright's etches, which are absolutely spot on for these. I would imagine Pete's ones weren't intended for a 318?

Also, as this is going to be in Strathclyde livery, you'll want to lose the roof radio pods as they weren't fitted with them until SPT carmine/cream days.

If its still worth my doing so, I can provide photos of my own one, especially now I have it in for some works attention before next year's round of shows!

Hope you don't mind me picking holes in what is otherwise looking very nice indeed! :)

Cheers,

Tim

Guest jim s-w

Hi Cav

the wheelbase on the motor bogie should be longer than the others about 9ft or the metric equivalent

HTH

Jim

Cheers Tim I was aware of these details, although the roof access hatch details I had no details of. I decided to leave the roof pods as removing them was likely to be a major pain with the roof ribs (maybe something I look at as these do bother me a bit as they are even wrong for the radio pod fitted ones). Your are also right about the grilles, They were some spares that Pete had. I am aware that the grille plate extends the full height of the window but the grille itself is the size I have done. I intend to make the rest of the plate as a seperate item. As for the bogie wheelbase of the power car Jim I am really not bothered by the slight difference. It means I can keep the 150 bogies and simply overlay a better representation if the power car frame.

Cav

Guest jim s-w

Fair enough

For those interested the driving wheels are also bigger (3ft)

Theres also extra dampers in the trailing bogies- bratchell do them but theres a bit of work in other areas

Cheers

Jim

Yes I was aware of that too. Im just not sure its worth the effort for what you get to change it IMO. Of course others may well want to do it and the info for that is very valid. Cheers for that Jim.

Cav

Archived