Decoder Pro 3 help - and now a successful Touchcab user.

Hi Guys,
Finally took the plunge and bought a Lenz 23151 interface, initially to program decoders, and later use it as a wireless interface.

I have loaded the disk, and downloaded Decoder Pro 3 to my PC......and thats about as far as I can get.

I'm not too expert in IT terms, and would appreciate some help at how to get started, if only initially to read cv's on my programming track.

Thanks.............Bob

• RMweb Gold

I've got the Lenz system and the USB / Ethernet interface. Before using the JMRI software I would recommend playing with the Lenz software. The JMRI uses the Lenz LI USB server so it is worth checking that it all works. Connect up the interface to expressnet and the USB. The software from Lenz should have put a program called Fahrpult on your desktop. Run that and you should see something like your Lenz controller appear on screen. If you can run a train with that the JMRI Decoder 3 should be OK.

I don't do anything too clever with mine but I can do all the CV changes I want! Let me know how far you have got? What PC are you using it on?

I've used it on my (just recently failed) XP netbook and Windows 7 PCs.

Tony

I've got the Lenz system and the USB / Ethernet interface. Before using the JMRI software I would recommend playing with the Lenz software. The JMRI uses the Lenz LI USB server so it is worth checking that it all works. Connect up the interface to expressnet and the USB. The software from Lenz should have put a program called Fahrpult on your desktop. Run that and you should see something like your Lenz controller appear on screen. If you can run a train with that the JMRI Decoder 3 should be OK.

I don't do anything too clever with mine but I can do all the CV changes I want! Let me know how far you have got? What PC are you using it on?

I've used it on my (just recently failed) XP netbook and Windows 7 PCs.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for your reply......I think many moons ago, I remember speaking with you briefly at Ally Pally, must be 5 years ago.

I use a laptop with Windows XP on it.

I have done everything I think I'm supposed to do, i.e. loaded the disk, connect up, downloaded Decoder 3 etc.,but cant seem to get any further

I have seen the icon you mentioned on my Desktop. I did click on it and see it brought up a controller.....but I didnt try to do anything with it.

I have just been to the loft.....connected up, and it does what you say.......I controlled a loco quite easily. Wonderful, I'm getting excited now.

So, Tony, what is my next step.? Like you, I want to keep things simple......I am certainly no rocket scientist.

What I want to do really, is be able to read CV's first of all, then amend them. That'll do to start with.

Again, thanks for your help.....at least I know that the interface is working.

Best regards...................Bob.

• RMweb Gold

That is a really good start. I do recall talking to you at Ally Pally a few years ago and have followed your layout progress since.

The DecoderPro 3 interface is slightly differentin appearance to the previous version but it does everything and more than the old one did !

I usually use my Sprog for my programming but using the Lenz must be similar. I did have mine connected and used the DecoderPro throttles to control trains. You have to tell the decoderpro what interface you are using. I seem to recall the first time you use it it asks you and you can scroll down to your interface and choose.

All my Lenz stuff is packed away at the moment but I'll be able to get it assembled this week and then "talk" you through any of the issues arising. Using DecoderPro for CV programming seems so wonderful to me, I've never even learned how to do it with the Lenz handset.

Getting it working with wireless through the ethernet connection with DecoderPro was fun! It does work. I was walking round with two laptops wirelessly controlling trains.I would probably get the Touchcab program if I had an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.......after downloading decoder pro, I did follow what seemed to be fairly simple instructions, i.e. telling it what interface I was using etc., I thought I had done quite well......but then I was just stumped. When I asked it to identify a loco decoder on the prog track......it just timed out.??

My intention is also to to do this wireless thing, get an iPhone and load Touchcab etc., I'm not sure what these things called sprogs are....you might enlighten me at some point...but one step at a time.

I would be eternally grateful for any help you might give me on this Decoder Pro stuff.......I shall continue to experiment with, to see if I can get anything to work.

Let me know when you are in a position to help me, i.e. when you have it set up.

Best regards..........................Bob

• RMweb Gold

When I set the test track up I'll connect a short piece of track up as a programming track as well to simulate your situation. I've not investigated that bit of the JMRI Lenz combo as I use a Sprog 2 for all programming. Sprog is a small device that sits between a PC usb and a piece of track. With it I can program and test a loco using Decoder Pro away from the main layout. As it can also cope with about an amp it can drive the loco up and down the track for testing.

I'm sure I posted on a thread somewhere about my wireless exploits. I'll find it and edit a link in to this post!

• RMweb Gold

OK, I kept timing out while linking to the other site but this is what I posted. It may or may not help when you go wireless!

The Netgear wireless access point is now back near the television but this time is doing something useful with the SKY HD box!

Having seen people at the club controlling trains with iPhones I thought I'd have a go. However before spending money (on an iPod Touch) I thought I'd start with the Lenz lan-usb pc interface (23151).

Initially I connected this by its USB port. According to the instructions for an internet connected Windows 7 PC it should find the drivers. It didn't. However inspecting the file on the supplied driver disc indicated it supported Windows 7 so that was installed. The interface then worked just like the old USB interface.

Next step was to disconnect the USB connection. The instructions supplied by Lenz are OK if you are confident about fiddling with IP addresses on your PC. You don't appear to need a crossover cable as the instructions suggest.

Anyway once I'd set the IP of the Lenz interface to something my router wanted to talk to (at this point connected by a bright red 10 metre ethernet cable "not exactly wireless is it" remarked my wife.), I realised that the Lenz throttle software only worked with the USB connection. However recent versions of JMRI Decoder Pro do work. After a bit of a battle with the (unhelpful) wizard that the latest Decoder Pro insisted on using to lock up my PC, I could control trains from any PC wireless or non wireless at home.

However there still was that big lead connecting the Lenz LAN interface to the router. I had a Netgear wireless access point attached to my Sony TV. As all that seems to do is let me have access to a world clock, I removed it and attached it to the Lenz interface. This works fine.

So the Lenz interface is connected wirelessly to the router and responds to any PC (only tried 3 at once) with the JMRI software.

So if anyone is having problems with the new(ish) Lenz LAN thingy, I've probably already had it and probably by luck got it all working. The Decoder Pro doesn't need a particularly sophisticated PC, it works fine on my Samsung netbook, not quite as chic as an iPhone but it was fun walking round the house with it and controlling trains. Wife thought I was silly but accepted I was just checking the wireless signal!

Tony

Suggest this page, its a bit technical, but has a lot of information. Scroll down about half-way for how to install the LI-USB device. Note the part about turning off all the Lenz software first, including the "LI-server" which may be running in background of PC.

http://www.jmri.org/help/en/html/hardware/XPressNet/index.shtml

Running over ethernet sounds somewhat technical for those not used to IP addresses and elementary IP routing.

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

In the section of the document quoted by Nigel

Connecting to an XPressNet based DCC System using a Lenz LIUSB and the Lenz LIUSB Server. (Windows Only)

it does state

NOTE: to use the LIUSB server, you MUST install the Lenz software and the LI-Server must be running.

I found various contradictory information in the Lenz documentation as well. However I did get it running on Windows XP and Windows 7 with the USB connection initially and then the ethernet connection .I am fairly happy about changing IP addresses but I do agree that it can be a bit tricky at first. My initial mistake was to not fix the IP address of the access point connected to the Lenz interface as the DecoderPro software can't cope but that was easy to fix.

Anyway Bob is I believe saving the joys of wireless for the future and is initially using just the USB connection.

Tony

Hi Nigel......so what does this mean, and how do I stop whatever it is that is running...??? Do I take out the software disc from my PC..??

NOTE: If you have installed the Lenz software, make sure none of it is running. This includes the LI-Server, which may be running in the background

Could it be this that is preventing me from progressing with Decoder Pro 3.

Regards..................Bob

Connecting to an XPressNet based DCC System using a Lenz LIUSB and the Lenz LIUSB Server. (Windows Only)

it does state

NOTE: to use the LIUSB server, you MUST install the Lenz software and the LI-Server must be running.

I found various contradictory information in the Lenz documentation as well. However I did get it running on Windows XP and Windows 7 with the USB connection initially and then the ethernet connection .I am fairly happy about changing IP addresses but I do agree that it can be a bit tricky at first. My initial mistake was to not fix the IP address of the access point connected to the Lenz interface as the DecoderPro software can't cope but that was easy to fix.

Anyway Bob is I believe saving the joys of wireless for the future and is initially using just the USB connection.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes, you are right, NOT wireless just yet.

And what is this about an IP address......was I supposed to input this somewhere on the Decoder Pro 3 system.??

I've been out tonite, so not done any further experimenting.....I'll be patient knowing that assistance and help is to hand.

Thanks.

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Bob. Don't worry about IP addresses yet! You only need to concern yourself with that later. When I set mine up I'll do a clean install with the USB connection and let you know what to do after I've investigated use of the programming track.

You have done all the hard work by getting it to work in Lenz mode. We'll soon get the Decoder Pro going as well.

While you have the Lenz software running did you know you can have 2 "Fahrpults" running on your PC at once. It is like having a couple of extra LH100s!

it does state

I found various contradictory information in the Lenz documentation as well.

The JMRI page reads like something edited numerous times, and needs someone who owns Lenz hardware to sit down and work out how things work today, and update it ! I don't own any Lenz hardware. If someone in this thread wants to re-write the advice, then I can give information off-list about how to submit and get it updated on the JMRI project.

From reading the pages, using LIUSB Server under Windows (one of the paragraphs of options) may be simpler as it does not require turning off the LI-Server software installed by the Lenz CD.

However I did get it running on Windows XP and Windows 7 with the USB connection initially and then the ethernet connection .I am fairly happy about changing IP addresses but I do agree that it can be a bit tricky at first. My initial mistake was to not fix the IP address of the access point connected to the Lenz interface as the DecoderPro software can't cope but that was easy to fix.

IP addresses is one of those things, doddle to those who've had more than 25 years of them and difficult for many others!

Fixed IP address for the Lenz hardware would be my starting point. Its possible that the JMRI software will be updated to cope with variable addresses, but the parts of the 2.14 release which supports the new Lenz hardware were written in a mad rush last December; the code writing team only had the devices for testing from Lenz a week or two before the 2.14 release date.

- Nigel

Bob. Don't worry about IP addresses yet! You only need to concern yourself with that later. When I set mine up I'll do a clean install with the USB connection and let you know what to do after I've investigated use of the programming track.

You have done all the hard work by getting it to work in Lenz mode. We'll soon get the Decoder Pro going as well.

While you have the Lenz software running did you know you can have 2 "Fahrpults" running on your PC at once. It is like having a couple of extra LH100s!

Hi Tony,

OK...I understand, I'll wait until you get your stuff organised.

I have just brought up 4 throttles on the screen, by clicking on the Fahrpults icon, but I'm not currently in the loft, so cant try them all.

Will they all work, or just 2 of them, as you indicated.......this whole thing is so exciting, can't wait to move things on.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Bob

I think it used to be 2 Lenz software throttles. I think the DecoderPro software supports more (8??) of its throttles when connected through the Lenz interface. The Lenz Fahrpult does actually interact quite well with the physical throttle. If you start a train off with the LH100 and then take it over with the software throttle, the screen throttle flashes just like the LCD would do if you were trying the same thing with a second LH100.

Hopefully I'll clear the backlog of domestic tasks I have been "allocated" today and can get my test track set up in the dining room tomorrow.

Bob

I think it used to be 2 Lenz software throttles. I think the DecoderPro software supports more (8??) of its throttles when connected through the Lenz interface. The Lenz Fahrpult does actually interact quite well with the physical throttle. If you start a train off with the LH100 and then take it over with the software throttle, the screen throttle flashes just like the LCD would do if you were trying the same thing with a second LH100.

Hopefully I'll clear the backlog of domestic tasks I have been "allocated" today and can get my test track set up in the dining room tomorrow.

Hi Tony,

Yes,

I just tried the 2 throttle thing this morning, before I read your post. It is only two throttles that work.

Thanks.......Bob

• RMweb Gold

Well there has been progress but not all good.

I connected up my PC that had been used for the previous use of the Lan / USB interface and plugged in the usb and xpressnet leads. Using the Lenz software no problems at all. However after turning off the Lenz server(and rebooting just to make sure) I ran Decoder Pro. It recognised the USB interface and I allocated it the appropriate COM port (COM6 on my PC) and the interfacer was recognised. However Decoder Pro ran so slowly as to be unusable. I recall it did work well using the Ethernet connection. As I wanted to be able to help with your installation I got my new PC and tried to set that up. I can't find the disc that came with the USB / LAN interface. The drivers are not on the internet either.

I've emailed the retailer who supplied me to see if I can obtain replacement software. However until then your best bet is to hope one of the other people with a 23151 has a Lenz system. I'll just have to use ethernet if I can't get the USB drivers!

Hi Tony,

The slow running of decoder pro seems to ring a bell.....when I ask it to read the manufacturer identity of a decoder, it says it is working, but after a minute or two, it says that it has timed out.

Maybe, I too will have to go down the ethernet route sooner rather than later.

I'm away as of lunchtime today, and not back around until Friday.......lets see where we are then.

Thanks...........................Bob.

PS....once I have loaded the disc onto my pc, can I then take it out and store it.??? Or does it need to be in the pc while using the interface and or decoder pro.??

• RMweb Gold

PS....once I have loaded the disc onto my pc, can I then take it out and store it.??? Or does it need to be in the pc while using the interface and or decoder pro.??

Definitely store it in a safe place that you won't forget! You will need it it you want to re-install the driver software!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I've managed to get the correct drivers installed on the new notebook PC.

Everything works perfectly with the Lenz software.

Latest version of Decoder 3 installed, The wizard on first installation hangs but restart and cancel takes you to the program and Lenz LI-USB can be selected. Under connection mine was Com 3.

Upon trying to do anything it was just like the other PC too slow to be usable.

The trick is to deselect hardware flow control from the "additional" menu under the connection you make Lenz, Li-USB, COM whatever.

I've only tested it with JMRI throttles so far but response is fast. I'll solder a couple of leads to some track and make a programming track for the Lenz. I'll report back but I think we are close to solving this now!

I've managed to get the correct drivers installed on the new notebook PC.

Everything works perfectly with the Lenz software.

Latest version of Decoder 3 installed, The wizard on first installation hangs but restart and cancel takes you to the program and Lenz LI-USB can be selected. Under connection mine was Com 3.

Upon trying to do anything it was just like the other PC too slow to be usable.

The trick is to deselect hardware flow control from the "additional" menu under the connection you make Lenz, Li-USB, COM whatever.

I've only tested it with JMRI throttles so far but response is fast. I'll solder a couple of leads to some track and make a programming track for the Lenz. I'll report back but I think we are close to solving this now!

Hi Tony,

Hey, that works.!!!!!!! I did as you say, selected "no flow control", re started Decoder Pro 3.........asked it to recognise the decoder in a loco on my programming track.....and it got it right, and immediatley too.......Wonderful. We are in business.

2 minutes later.......now I have managed to get it to read every cv value on the decoder.

I'm going to stop now while I'm ahead....feeling tired following my 3.5 hr drive home from Norwich, its now 11.15, and only been home 45mins.

This is great news Tony.....and I cant wait to start getting into this deeper now. We shall speak again tomorrow.

many many thanks....................Bob.

Hi Tony,

Not had chance to go any further today with Decoder Pro 3.....been to my pals this evening, he has just bought himself a Lenz 100 set...good choice.

Coming back to the Decoder Pro instructions....they dont appear to be very clear, how did you hear about this "fix"....its not clear in the instructions...or have I missed something.

Nigel Cliffe, earlier in this thread, suggests that someone with lenz kit should re write the instruction, and he will submit it to Decoder Pro..??

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, I'm not sure! I may have read about it somewhere and it lodged in what remains of my brain but once I'd got the drivers installed on two machines and was getting the same result, I decided that I would alter what I could in DecoderPro one thing at a time and see what happened! There isn't a lot to alter so I changed the flow control option from the recommended to none. Years ago when I played with computers for a living I always hated anything to do with serial ports! The flow control hardware option may be correct for the original LI USB (the non ethernet one), I could check that out, I've got one of those.

Now you have got it working I'm sure you will appreciate how good DecoderPro is for playing with CVs. I don't do anything clever with mine, I probably don't have two locos the same to worry about speed matching and tweaking, if they move and the lights come on I'm happy.

I think the feature that probably needs noting is that if you edit a CV, don't forget to select the "write changes" or it won't change anything!

I think we have also determined that the Lenz LI-USB server should NOT be running in DecoderPro USB operation. I think it may be for ethernet connection but I'll confirm that soon. I've got to sort out another wireless access point as my "train" one seems permanently attached to the Sky box now.

Tony

I'm ok with computers, but not to the extent of checking and unchecking lots of boxs etc.,

I know the little server box that has some traffic lights in.....but I don't think I made any effort to switch it off when I got Decoder Pro 3 to work the other day.??

What does it mean when the server is ON....what is happening when it is switched ON.....and why should it be switched off.? Could you help me understand its purpose a little please.

I'm going to see if I can find some time on the layout with my laptop later today......but first I am on a tour of the JCB factory later this morning only 3 miles from where I live.

But like you Tony, I dont want to be a smartass with this Decoder Pro....I too am happy enough if the train goes and the lights come on. But I would like to scratch the surface of this technology a bit more......and the wireless ability does interest me too...especially using something like TOUCHCAB.

Your help and advice is very much appreciated Tony, yet another reason why RMweb is such a success.

Talk to you again later.

Bob

Hi Bob, Tony et al.

Been following this with interest and hoping to get decoder pro working with my LENZ Decoder programmer.

Can you tell me which download version you are using? I've tried both JMRI.2.10 and JMRI.2.14-r19563 without any success. JMRI.2.10 gives me a load of error messages on startup, I then setup the connection for LENZ and LIUSB Server but no joy with decoder pro. JMRI.2.14-r19563 just hangs on startup.

Regards

Ray.

Archived