"Steam on the Cambrian" my new modular layout

Dukedog

Hi Frank, it seems to be coming on well, Trees look good and I am looking forward to seeing it someday,

All the best and a Happy New Year to you.

Andy.

No problem Andrew, I am hoping it will be ready for public viewing by mid summer so IF I get invited I'll sure let you know!

Here's another progress report!

I have taken advantage of the mild weather to work on the layout in my shed, Loco and rolling stock kit production being put on the back burner until the bad weather returns and I am confined to indoor working.

One thing I mentioned in my last post was the working down advanced starter.Most people now tend to use servos for this type of thing and so will I in future, but as I had solenoids that needed using up this particular signal is solenoid operated.

Now, the trouble with solenoid operation is that the action is too fierce and totally unrealistic. I have added a simple RC network to the solenoid operating circuit and this is the result ( Click Video link below)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukedog_9017/8348679819/

OK, so it's not 100% prototypical but, It is I think much better than the Slam-Slam operation of a solenoid with no slugging.

Another bit of progress on the shed itself.

I have fixed down some of the interior detail and in this shot you can just make out the fitters bench and vice in the Stygian gloom of the shed. I have fitted interior lighting but it's not wired just yet.

post-6768-0-14271700-1357395172.jpg

Other work done since new year is the ballasting is finished! Just needs track weathering now.

Loads of ash and cinders have been stuck down in front of the shed area, I still reckon I need more though!

Please excuse the camera shake (again) Lighting in my shed is not too good!

post-6768-0-31984800-1357395166.jpg

I would be interested in your comments

More on Penmaenpool MPD soon!

CheersFrank

• RMweb Premium

Hi Frank and happy new year.

Lots of nice work again.

Is your shed depicting painted grey or reflecting aged (greyed out) wood?  If the latter, what have you used?

I'm thinking 81C in GWR days, although, with a creosoting plant nearby, I wonder if it was ever treated?

You say you love ballasting.  What method(s) do you use?

Best wishes for 2013 and hope to see you on the circuit somewhere.

Hi Frank and happy new year.

Lots of nice work again.

Is your shed depicting painted grey or reflecting aged (greyed out) wood?  If the latter, what have you used?

I'm thinking 81C in GWR days, although, with a creosoting plant nearby, I wonder if it was ever treated?

You say you love ballasting.  What method(s) do you use?

Best wishes for 2013 and hope to see you on the circuit somewhere.

Thanks for your comment.

The shed was painted with a base coat of matt black over the corrugated sheets and wood framing.

The planking above the doors was given a base coat of chocolate brown (Humbrol 96 I think!)

I then dry brushed dark colours over the planking (Grey Humbrol 66) and matt black.

The wood frame and doorway centre column was dry brushed with Humbrol 147 (light grey)

The whole lot was then toned down with Carrs soot black weathering powder and coal ash.

That's about it really.

Ballasting was done using the old age method of dry ballast brushed into place, spray with water and washing up liquid and diluted PVA applied with an eye dropper. Nothing special. I just like the brushing out bit for some reason. I find it satisfying!

HTH

Cheers

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Progressed a little more work on the module today.

The "dry" stone wall that I made has been glued down to the embankment with hot melt glue and a base layer of hanging basket liner fibre glued down infront and behind it.

Here's a close up of the wall

post-6768-0-77337800-1358375263.jpg

The flat vertical coping stones have all been cemented on individually and on the length of wall fixed so far means nearly 500 bits of plasticard, all cut to random shapes. Only another 300 to do on the next section of wall!

A wider view shows the stone wall and hanging basket liner from a more respectable distance, The wood screws are marking some "holes" for tree planting!

post-6768-0-04085700-1358375256.jpg

Next job on this section will be to apply layers of static grass using the well tried modified fly swatter! More on that next week.

Here's a parting shot showing some trees in position as a view blocker for the "Hole in the sky" Only just pushed in and not yet fixed but it gives some idea of what it will end up like.

post-6768-0-67680200-1358375250.jpg

More as and when!

Cheers

Frank

More progress over the last day or two.
in this view I have started to add little bits like the oil drums and fire Irons by the coal stage, a tall tree made and planted alongside the viewing side of the shed to break up the mass of sky side scene.The "Hole in the sky" leading to the West fiddle yard can be seen to the right of the shed. The shed acting as a view blocker when the layout is viewed from the front.
Here's BR standard 4 75059 "on shed" at Penmaenpool 
8411145181_6b8d17db6c_o.jpg

And the same loco from another view point, Note I have added coal to the coal stage.

8412243250_08f95b50ab_o.jpg

(Still lots more detail and vegetation to add to this scene)
Mean while at the east end (the end that joins on to Morfa Bach) we see Standard 4 75059 (Having turned on the Barmouth Junction triangle) Heading west with a freight.

8411146511_fa74be89d1_o.jpg

Again you can see the "Hole in the sky" where the scenic break is between this module and Morfa Bach.
This time trees act as the view blocker from the normal viewing position.
I took a few more pictures but will post some of them next time.
CheersFrank

Only just caught up with your Cambrian activities Frank, and have to say you are really on form. I lived in Merioneth from 1971 to 1980, schooled in Tywyn and did the first two years of my career at Machynlleth. Because of this I am quite switched on to the Cambrian modelling, and your coastal module and the timber bridge is delightful, and very easily apparent as a small piece of Cambrian coast line.

Keep up the excellent work

• 4 weeks later...

Forest Gump!

As well as working on loco building I have also found time to do some work on Penmaenpool MPD.
Work this week has seen the size of the "Forest" of trees along the back of the layout increase in size and density.

8483139376_433b0d1d50_o.jpg

The pictures were taken in my outdoor workshop (Shed!) so please excuse any background clutter, I'm no Photoshop expert so my processing is limited to resize, crop and brightness!
But I digress (again)
Here's another picture of some trees!
8483139476_b6a2ce4f0b_o.jpg

Note the shed fitter sat outside the mess hut with mug of tea! (The same mug that was featured here a few months ago and made to 4mm scale!
8483138808_92f8eee221_o.jpg

Just to end this post is a picture of the coaling platform now complete with coal, neatly placed fire irons, oil drums and in the foreground some home made weeds with yellow flower heads.
8483139304_7241f81138_o.jpg

Don't ask what they are, a David Bellamy type of bloke I am NOT! No doubt the rivet counters and pedants at it's first show will put me right!

Another update as and when any progress worth showing is made.

Cheers!
Frank

• RMweb Premium

A belated thanks for the painting details in #109 above - before we go onto the next page. :jester:

Some clever modelling going on around your shed.  Those flowers look just like my yellow loosestrife which grow back in our garden every year - spread from next door but I like them so they're welcome guests. :D     They obviously love the Welsh climate and make a good display on your Cambrian if, indeed, that is what's growing there.

Your forestry dept. has been working overtime too.  Ray's got his eye on your method for use on Camel Quay - an (imaginary) cutting to 'hide'.  So another thanks for posting your progress.

One day we may get to see the finished article if you're thinking of exhibiting it.  Would love that.

Polly

• 1 month later...

I haven't updated this thread for quite a while, the truth is though that I haven't done that much worth writing about!

However, as I now have a deadline to meet for the layouts first show at Telford in September I had better get my finger out and do something.

So, today I spent a few hours at the bench making some weeds and trees to go with the ones already done.

The weeds are mostly Rosebay willow herb and docks.

8610153799_0d0a527276_o.jpg

The group on the left are Dock whilst the group on the right are Rosebay willow herb. The batch in the middle will end up either as Rosebay Willow Herb OR maybe Evening primrose.

It's surprising just how many of these things you need to populate even a small layout. I must have done at least 30 or 40 already and they look lost in the landscape.

So more sessions are needed to fill the embankments on Penmaenpool!

BTW I use 5 or 10 amp fusewire for the stalks, painted green. The Docks are simply made by dipping the freshly painted wire into the contents of an unused tea bag, I use PG tips but I suppose any brand would do!

The Rosebay needs two stages. Stage 1 involves painting the wire and dipping it into a tub of static grass, this gives us the "Hairy stems" once dry PVA is applied to the tips and the plant is dipped in a mauve coloured sawdust type scatter. (yellow for evening primrose) once dry they are ready for planting on the layout.

I still need quite a few more trees for the back of the layout. So again today I made up another 3.

8610153583_c8a37731c3_o.jpg

The two trees on the right are made up from Woodland Scenics tree armature kits. They come "Flat" and have to be bent from a two dimensional  sprue to a 3D shape. Not as difficult as it sounds.

I always paint the trunks and branches just to get rid of that "plastic look". I use Humbrol enamels in shades of grey for this.

The tree on the left is home made from copper wire smothered in Milliput to form the trunk and branches, a lot cheaper than the woodland scenics armatures but takes three times longer to make.

All the trees shown here use Wooland Scenics foliage mats to form the canopy but I have also used some Greenscene" material just to vary the shades of green a bit.

So, as you can see, SOME progress is being made albeit slowly. As soon as the decent weather starts (If ever!) I can get out and butcher some more wood for the backscene, Legs, second fiddle yard and canopy/ picture frame fronts.

If any more gets done I'll update this thread again.

Cheers

Frank

• RMweb Gold

Ah ha!!!! Managed to drag yourself away for the narrow gauge stuff then Frank :secret:

Nice work on the weeds, especially those really big green ones. Looking forward to seeing them on the layout.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that recent family events have finally been sorted I am slowly getting back to normal service.

The weather here in the Midlands has been fine for a couple of days so I have taken the opportunity to bring the two modules built so far for "Steam on the Cambrian" out of the relative gloom of my outside workshop and into some decent light for some photography.This entry then is more of a pictorial overview of progress so far. 
Let's start with module 2 "Penmaenpool MPD"

8666232724_15f37e0fea_o.jpg

"Dukedog" 9021 (with top feed) passes Pemaenpool MPD with the local Barmouth- Dollgelly shuttle service.No doubt the "Pedants" will point out that "Dogs" did not normally operate this service but, Rule 1 applies!

8666232720_b6cd4b4578_o.jpg

The same train as above but from another viewpoint (up a tree!) Note I have fitted the facing point lock cover but point rodding, ground disc and other details are still to be added.

8666232598_91eac18cf7_o.jpg

Small prairie tank 4560 passing with a short freight coast bound. Coal waits to be unloaded at the coal stage and Dukedog 9021 sits "on shed" waiting it's next turn of duty.
8666232548_fbfed39bf0_o.jpg 
Another view of 4560 as it waits for the signal to drop. (this view from the shed roof) at the rear of the consist can be seen a narrow gauge loco on a well wagon no doubt destined for Porthmadog and the Ffestiniog Railway.
Moving on..to the other module completed(?) last summer, this module is "Morfa Bach" based on the location of the same name.However the prototype location did not have a timber trestle bridge.I wanted one of these typical Cambrian structures on my layout so a great deal of Modeller's licence has been used here!

8666236254_51c0ae5886_o.jpg
9021 again! This time running light engine across the (fictional) timber trestle bridge on Morfa Bach.
8665136699_c9cb9f4349_o.jpg

The burnt out brake van that used to feature on my previous layout "Pen Y Bont" has some how been shunted into Morfa Bach ballast siding!

8665136695_84ac64de15_o.jpg

9021 at the east portal of Morfa Bach Tunnel, (yes I know the crew is missing! still needs some final detail adding to the loco including crew and coal)
Well I hope this update has bought all of you up to speed with progress on this new layout. I have my first outing already booked at Telford in September. 

(Exhibition managers may note that I am now taking bookings for 2014)

Finally,  an overall view of the Penmaenpool module

8666232768_5631a91409_o.jpg

I have more pictures taken today but will post them next time.

Cheers 

Frank

Thank you all for the nice comments. 

As promised here's a few more pictures taken at the same time as my last post but excluded for space reasons.

Hope you like!

8666232586_a0cc2860dc_o.jpg

8666232484_0c11a45072_o.jpg

8666232460_4296e97f97_o.jpg

8666232482_8e5207155b_o.jpg

Hope the above meets with approval
Cheers!
Frank 

Archived