If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Newish Member says hello

dbanbery

i say newish - i signed up in 2007 and i posted a few pics of my late grandads layout and thats all i can remember really.

now ive come back after a few years doing assorted things and i've got plans - modelling plans!

ive already started to get involved with the threads on Mark Forrest's low level station build, and also got into the black country inspiration thread, as when i'm involved in a forum i always try and put something in, rather than just surfing for ideas etc.

now, i'm probably one of the younger ones, and my knowledge is rather thin too - there seems to be a massively high standard on here in both skills, research and so much more, to be honest its a bit intimidating!

to back me up i have a lot of years modelling aircraft, cars and such like [even a bit of armor too] see below:

DSCN3213.jpg

KV1 Russian tank, first shot at armour, yes i know the weather isnt particularly good and the tracks don't sag correctly.

DSCN3278.jpg

PzKpw IV - put a bit of battle damage on this with more successful weathering [a bit of games workshop experience from about 15 years ago helped here]

JunkersJu87B-2_TropStuka.jpg

stuka. i have loads of Model aircraft, but the good ones havent been photgraphed as of yet - theyre kept at my parents who are about 100 miles away.

LanciaStratosRally.jpg

Stratos - again, i havent got a lot of these photo "logged", and this was taken in 2007.

IMG_0761.jpg

This is one of the other toys.

DSC01070.jpg

and this [its a 1989 Suzuki RGV 250]

P7250217.jpg

P7250218.jpg

P7250221.jpg

here is my late grandads layout, now i know its not up to the standard ive seen on here - this was built in the early eighties, and most of the scenery was from scratch, hand painted. the engines were all Fleishmann, and the rolling stock was mixed, some Fleishmann, and some other items, a bit of a HO/OO scale mish mash really. it was based on Weymouth station, so i was told.

my plans are to build a layout centred around Wolverhampton Low Level, and a local disused Branch Line that i used to ride down on my bike - according to the map in the book i have, it would be the Oxley junction to Wombourne. One thing i am confused about - the bridges throughout Penn etc and elsewhere local were always painted chocolate and cream just like the GWR carriages, and i was told this was because the GWR ran through there.... but, this line looks to originally be LMS, with the junction joining the two lines together [Oxley chord/stafford road] only being put it later on...? confusing...?

my intention is to model in the 1930s, just before the second world war - pre nationalisation..

anyways, my trade is Architecture, so i can use my CAD skills to plan and develop my layout, and possibly get into some 3D too, as i can use 3d programs quite easily.

ive got lots of stuff to get into, and lots of stuff to learn! looking forward to it, however living in a small terrace in Yorkshire, space isnt amazing, so this will be a long term slow burning project.

A belated welcome then. :)

Don't be intimidated; you'll be fine judging by your military modelling and the evident inquisitive approach you've made. Plus you have a decent taste in 70s/80s Group B rally cars and are prepared to nurture a 1980s Ford.

The Wombourne line was most definitely GWR (but later than most lines) with some very good brick-built station structures still surviving. The bridges were originally plain grey but tarted up into choc/cream (probably in the 1980s IIRC) when the route was opened up as a cycle route.

the schematic i was looking at and the other info i read made me think that it was an LMS route. i must assume for now that the LMS route went north. i think the bridges got painted in the mid 90s.

as a kid i used to ride down the old railway tracks to wombourne station, and the metal framed bridge at aldersley, this is what made me want to do this layout, as when i was there as a kid i used to imagine what it was like as a line prior to the Beeching report. i think there was a turn table at tettenhall station too at some point, albeit a small one...?

Planes trains and automobiles most definitely! 1/72 WW2 and Cold war russian jets for aircraft, 1/24th cars, 1/35 Armour [thats a relatively new venture - ive only built 4 tanks, but ive got another two to build already]

i must say, i built a kitbuild box van from "modelzone" last year which i enjoyed, but it was expensive. £7 for the kit, and the prebuilt Hornby items are £13 i think....

the knightwing range looks good though, i'm sure ill be using their stuff in the not too distant future.... If my grandad was alive nowadays he would have an absolute fit! he used to scratchbuild most scenery and some rolling stock! especially with the new approaches like 3D printing and laser cutting services, its brilliant! really looking forward to getting into this!

• RMweb Premium

Hello and welcome (back) to RMWeb.

If you've been absent, then you'll find it much changed and expanded into a very useful and informative resource. You'll find that there's lots of up to date thinking here, and also some good old fashioned modelling skill. I saw some examples of 3d printing at the member's day, in 2mm scale, and it was VERY impressive stuff, I can tell you - it fair took my breath away.

And don't forget that we do meet up each year, (normally in Stafford or Taunton) and from where you're located, you'd not have too far to travel to one of these venues.

Regards

Stewart

cheers for the replies.

why don't i get email notifications of posts?

ive already created an album of pics i took last weekend of the station. going to take some other pics of other stuff that is of interest soon too. its the immense gathering of information at the moment. i have a few books too, and from the list on here of other useful books for the RMWeb layout ill probably be getting a few more.

I got my box of stuff that i bought a few years back out last night, and i found that i had forgot i'd bought two engines! i'd been watching and bidding on some last week exactly the same ones... and i thought memory went in the later stages of life!!

why don't i get email notifications of posts?

Only because all of your notification options (accessible from My Settings in the drop-down menu at the top right of the page) were blank; I've amended that for you so you should receive useful stuff.

• RMweb Premium

the schematic i was looking at and the other info i read made me think that it was an LMS route. i must assume for now that the LMS route went north. i think the bridges got painted in the mid 90s.

as a kid i used to ride down the old railway tracks to wombourne station, and the metal framed bridge at aldersley, this is what made me want to do this layout, as when i was there as a kid i used to imagine what it was like as a line prior to the Beeching report. i think there was a turn table at tettenhall station too at some point, albeit a small one...?

Hello again! As Andy said, the line was built by the GWR, opening in 1925. The Wolves - Shrewsbury line which it diverged from at Oxley Junc and the Stourbridge - Dudley line which it joined at Kingswinford Junc were both GWR lines. Passenger services were withdrawn as early as 1932. It's worthwhile keeping a look out for Ned Williams' "The Railway to Wombourn" book if you have an interest in this line. I'm not aware of a turntable at Tettenhall, I'm no expert, but can't think of a reason for one there. There was a proposal to build a line from Wombourn to join the Severn Valley line near Eardington - which would make an attractive "might have been" layout scenario.

Layout wise, the plan is to do Low level, and an abreviated version of this branch, including Tettenhall Station, The Iron bridge in aldersley, the canal running alongside it, Wombourne station and the line at himley. this is probably fairly ambitious, but doing things in piecemeal fashion is the plan. i will be having a go at diorama type parts for now when i get going properly with it. i need to learn properly how to do particular things before i start going big, hence the diorama effort. this will help me aquire the skills needed. there are a number of threads in the scenery building part of the site that ill be drawing on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived