Parrot Hall - 80/90?s 25kv NW suburban in OO.

kevpeo

Thanks Wayne, welcome to the thread. Speaking of Lydd Rail, many thanks to Paul and the rest of the guys for a great weekend. And especially to Nick from Coastal DCC, who spent a lot of the weekend filming and editing a video of Parrot Hall

-

The layout ran well considering it hasn't run for 18 months, and only had one derailment, caused by not using the locating pins on the sector! Cheers to all, Kev.

• Like 17

Hi Kevin,

Cracking video and good editing with the fade out shots.

I like the way you've modelled the station at the bridge end, does this mean the layout will be extended at some point or is it designed so that it could operate as a terminus if required, say for a smaller show that might not have space for the full layout?

Nice to see a completed Cambrian Sturgeon running as well. What did you do with the round door bangers on this, did you make your own or use the plastic ones in the kit? I have two to build and was thinking of using brass as it's thinner but I've never been keen on metal to plastic joints - things always fall off!

Cheers

Wayne

• Thanks 1

An extension is not on the cards Wayne, it was always planed to act as a terminus. The Sturgeon uses the supplied door bangers, as you say, sticking brass to plastic invites 'drop offs'! I'm planning one without doors next. Kev.

Hi Kev,

Nice to see a video of the layout in action, especially as I've never attended a Lydd Rail despite being a DEMU member since 2002!

I hope you don't mind but i shared this thread on my modelling page on Facebook. I don't know if either you or the layout are on there but it can be seen here https://www.facebook.com/contempmodelling

Cheers

Wayne

• Thanks 1

Thanks Wayne, welcome to the thread. Speaking of Lydd Rail, many thanks to Paul and the rest of the guys for a great weekend. And especially to Nick from Coastal DCC, who spent a lot of the weekend filming and editing a video of Parrot Hall

-

The layout ran well considering it hasn't run for 18 months, and only had one derailment, caused by not using the locating pins on the sector! Cheers to all, Kev.

Video looks stunning Kev! Just caught up on the thread - the overhead wires are superb!

Would be very good to see in the flesh - have you got anymore upcoming exhibitions?

All the best,

Will

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Well there were some discussions with Guy from DEMU showcase Will. Watch this space! Kev.

Excellent idea, if possible. However, wouldn't the Manchester show be an idea? Sort of bringing the layout home based on its supposed geographic location. And closer to South Cumbria . . .

David

• Like 1

Hi Kev

Im another that enjoyed seeing Parakeet Palace at Lyddrail. I loved the whole "no need to cram everything in when you can suggest that it is off scene." approach.

Your 304 also looked great for the tweaks to the cab windows. It was the sound that did it for me evoking childhood and early adult memories of them bouncing up and down the Trent Valley. It would be great if Modelu were able to shrink us down to 4mm scale and we could spend some time on the platform keeping an eye out for any activity from the yard.

This is a well observed and built little layout that oozes the mid to late 1980s and is worthy of close and prolonged study. You wont be diaappointed and neither was I and i can be quite a fussy and picky mare when it comes to layouts.

Hopefully Guy has booked it for DEMU Showcase which will be in a new and larger location in Burton-upon-Trent in time for DEMU's 25th anniversary. I look forward to just watching the trains come and go on PH once again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm quite pleased with how the 304 is coming along!

post-8271-0-46529200-1535636290_thumb.jpg

Its now at the 'target' stage, with anything that can effect the running fitted. Still to do is reducing the tension of the pan spring, then I can now take it with me on Coppells trip to Oustende for a test run. It has run on Loch Dour.

I have just realised I've posed it in the wrong coach order! DOH! Kev.

• Like 7

Well I'm quite pleased with how the 304 is coming along!

attachicon.gif304 together.JPG

Its now at the 'target' stage, with anything that can effect the running fitted. Still to do is reducing the tension of the pan spring, then I can now take it with me on Coppells trip to Oustende for a test run. It has run on Loch Dour.

I have just realised I've posed it in the wrong coach order! DOH! Kev.

That is a ruddy work of art!!!!!!!!

C.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I blame signaller 69!

Not content with having a 304 and 305 ''on the go'', I've now got a 303 too -

post-8271-0-12198700-1539971659_thumb.jpg

Some of the bits were collected at our show, and I'm still waiting for others, but I thought I'd get the sides put together!  This may well jump the 305 in the queue to completion. The 304 has had rubbing plates added, the couplings ‘tweaked’ and was tested again at our show last weekend. The couplings worked so well that the earlier 304 has been converted to match!

Kev.

• Like 9

I'm still waiting for the roof mouldings from Charlie Petty, (hint hint), but I have been able to push on with the 303 chassis -

post-8271-0-36724700-1540568824_thumb.jpg

Because I'd used two Replica powered chassis under the 304&5 power cars, I had two Southern Pride chassis mouldings and sets of bogie frames I could use. Couplings have been added and set to match the bogie spacing of the 304. I also fabricated five (!) sets of circuit-breaker gear for the pan wells with one set already fitted to the 304/2. I also assembled a batch of traffic cones!

Next up, AWS pickups while I wait.

Kev.

• Like 8