Anyone take commissions?

Looking for a little bit of assistance if I may.

I'm wanting a few small detail items made and think that 3D printing may well be a suitable option rather than trying to craft it myself. However, although 3D modelling in Second Life (an online universe if people aren't familiar) is of no problem, I lack the software and possibly the skills to do it in a format suitable for 3D printing.

I'm wondering therefore if anyone on here with the skills would be willing to undertake a little construction task for me, or whether the costs of a commission would be so silly I'd be cheaper spending a month learning it myself?

Happy to give more details by PM if anyone is willing to consider helping me out.

Ok well there's been several expresssions of help so far but I'm now wondering if the cost of 3D printing might make the task a bit difficult.

What I am basically looking for is some bits to go in a 7mm signalbox - got all the 'working stuff' but I'm missing a sink/taps and a kettle. I've downloaded a few packages from the list to dabble with but so far not quite got the success I'd have looked for - so I'll keep experimenting.

In an ideal world I'd like a 2 door kitchen cupboard with a sink/draining board on the top, and two taps, a freestanding small fridge (that could fit under the worktop if it was longer) and a kettle (possibly also a toaster) so the signalman has some comforts :)

None of the above should be difficult once I have got to grips with a CAD package, but I'm wondering whether the cost of making said items means some fiddling about with plasticard is a better idea. I was just thinking that they might be things that others would find useful once the work had been done, so 3D printing would be easier. But the costs of such work may mean it's just not worth bothering.

I haven't yet found any suppliers of said items in 7mm scale, lots in 1:12 dollshouse but nothing in 1:43 ... unless you know better?

In the latest MRJ there is an advert by someone who will do the software for 3D printing etc. and help with its implementation. He specifically mentions that he would be cost-effective for small projects.

Contact brian_corrie@btinternet.com , tel 07880 601916

Please let us know how you get on as this is something a lot of us oldies would like to dabble in but lack the skills.

Even Jeremy Paxman was looking at 3D printing on Newsnight last night!

What software do you use for Second Life? Chances are you should be able to use something like Blender (originally for 3D renders) and can output to an STL for 3D printing.

Second Life has its own "building tools" where you can create "prims" (box, cylinder, sphere etc) and stretch, twist, cut, hollow etc items, with precision placing down to 0.01, and 'link' items together so everything is one 'object'. However, you can't export Second Life's creations.

You can, however, import .dae files (such as Blender output) for what they call 'sculpties' which enables you to create complex shapes from one 'base prim' so it's sadly the reverse of what I need. If I could export from Second Life I'd be well away, I've used SL for 7 years and have gained a bit of a reputation as a builder including work on several very large projects funded by the European Union Social Fund. But I digress.

Of course, I do have a railway in Second Life - there's a guy called Kitto Flora who created a miniature railway system that you can use as a 'kit of parts' and you basically lay the track and the train will follow. Of course, I've stretched it far beyond its designed limits to have several trains running on the same route with automatic signals and allsorts, so if anyone happens to use SL and wants to look up the "Rosieri Miniature Railroad" do drop by for a ride :)

• RMweb Gold

Cromptonnut

Ok well there's been several expresssions of help so far but I'm now wondering if the cost of 3D printing might make the task a bit difficult.

If you go to page 4, post 99 on this link to my layout, you will see some buffer stop side frames I have just had made at Shapeways. They are 4 mm scale so would be around the size of your signal box bits, possibly a bit smaller.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16217-brighton-east-em-third-rail/page__st__75

The sprue in FUD cost me 11 Euros plus 8 Euros p&p.

Hope this helps

Dave

Oh, for everyday items definitely use Sketchup's 3d warehouse. For example my search for kettle turned up over 100 models which are royalty free for you to use as you like:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=kettle&styp=m&scoring=t&btnG=Search

Similarly, plenty of sinks here:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=sink&styp=m&scoring=t&btnG=Search&reps=1

There's absolutely no need to model this sort of thing youself or pay for someone else to - you'd just be re-inventing the wheel.

There's absolutely no need to model this sort of thing youself or pay for someone else to - you'd just be re-inventing the wheel.

You do need an output that can be printed. There is a very good chance that these are little better than pictures and would need some work to make them usable for the OP.

The level of detail required would probably allow a model to be created very quickly. Yet, if cost is an issue then the same could be said of cracking out styrene/metal/whatever: the shapes are pretty basic. The time investment increases according to the level of detail desired whatever the medium (until/unless masters are available). For scratch building the taps and the basin would become problematic if a high level of detail is required.

You do need an output that can be printed. There is a very good chance that these are little better than pictures and would need some work to make them usable for the OP.

True, but making complex shapes such as: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=5d1f1c42d0509ab3bda72093f9b5aa73&prevstart=0 is a big chunk of the work. I agree though, turning this into something cost-effectively printable by hollowing out, checking minimum feature sizes and all the other little tweaks you need to make and then any post processing in netfabb or similar, is still a significant task.

True, but making complex shapes such as: http://sketchup.goog...a73&prevstart=0 is a big chunk of the work.

I agree though, turning this into something cost-effectively printable by hollowing out, checking minimum feature sizes and all the other little tweaks you need to make and then any post processing in netfabb or similar, is still a significant task.

Maybe in sketch up, but not so in a professional 3D CAD package. Granted not everyone has access to such. For that model I would rather start over if I was doing it because I think it would be easier and faster.

I don't think that such a sweeping conclusion can be made here (and that applies to my first comment as much as yours :) ). We'll probably have to compromise on: it depends.

I use Solidworks, and Sketchup extensively at work and at home, and for me it would take about the same amount of time in either of them to get the basic shape. But, as you say, they are very different tools - it's a case of 3D art vs. 3D design. Solidworks would be easier to prepare for printing, but not usually by so much that it's worth starting from scratch in my opinion. I've done both routes enough times to know that I can save lots of time with a ready made model. You are absolutely right though, it does depend a lot on the quality of the initial model and I do find that sometimes they can't be used. Anyway, I fear that we're running a long way off topic...

My own experience is that people get a nasty shock and run screaming when they find out the *actual* cost for a lot of the design work (same with etches too).

I think you can print the items in question in 7mm - I've printed anglepoise lamps down to 4mm so a 7mm tap set shouldn't be too horrendous.

Archived