Hornby Stanier period 3 coaches and Bachmann 'Porthole' stock

• RMweb Premium

Just to clarify then. The carriage working indicates a BR coach (Z), two corridor thirds (2TK), with 48 seats (48). You can check the number of coaches against the summary of coaches and weights at the bottom of the entry, although for this working its a bit complicated because of the changes in the formation on different days of the week. The Mk1 TKs had 8 six seat compartments on the London Midland Region but others (SR and WR, I think) removed the arm rests so that each compartment seated 8 passengers. The code was still TK for these coaches. In contrast to this some open thirds with 2 + 2 seating (64 seats in total) were described as tourist open thirds whilst I think other open thirds with 2 + 1 (48 seats) or 2 + 2 seating were designated open thirds. I think most of this is included in 'BR Mark 1 coaches'.

As a matter of interest can Coachman tell me what diagram open third would most likely partner a RF, especially if it was a D.1718 'period 2' one?

Hope this helps.

Nig H

JAs a matter of interest can Coachman tell me what diagram open third would most likely partner a RF, especially if it was a D.1718 'period 2' one?

It is a case of take your pick judging by photos and formation information. The D1718 Period II Diner First was often coupled with an open third with 2+1 seating such as a Period I D1699 2-window coach or a Period II D1721 60 footer. If seating for meals tended to vary on a particular working, then the Period I D1706 'Neutral' coach was useful as seating could be marked for either first class or third class passengers. 

Some formations show a corridor first adjacent to a kitchen dining car so it is possible that the compartment tables were installed for dining on.

• RMweb Premium

I've decided I know bu**er all about coaches..........................thanks for all the efforts to tell me what's what. Really appreciated. Fortunately I will only have to deal with stuff on a layout at home, so some licence will be involved.

P

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just checked 'BR Coaches...', and in fact all the 2+2 open thirds are described as TTOs (tourist third opens) rather than just third opens (TO). Apologies for this error - I should have checked first rather than relying on my very poor memory.

Nig H

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I'm looking to buy some fairly recent Hornby Stanier LMS 1st, 3rd, and Brake/3rd Corridor coaches.  They seem to come from Hornby R2907 (Days of Red and Gold) and R2985 (Duchess at Carlisle) train packs. I've tried all the usual online sites, but they seem to have all sold out. I have one set from the Duchess at Carlisle set, R2985, (1st, 3rd and Brake 3rd) and they look very good, and run very well. I would like to buy a set from each pack, so I can run a decent rake.  Does anybody know where I might be able to get them?

It might be a bit of a forlorn hope, as they date from about the end of 2011, but I live in hope

Bob King

Archived