Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Headstock said:

Evening Nick,

many thanks. You didn't mention the time period that you are modelling. However, you may find this image of use, the weathering is quite distinctive on these carriages and how come you never see sooty roofs like that on model railway carriages?

Grey plastic is the new black.

Metropolitan 422.jpg

I do like that livery, especially with the No Smoking roundels.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/10/2019 at 13:20, thegreenhowards said:

I spent my weekend exhibiting our club layout at the Croydon show. It was an enjoyable show but both exhibits and attendance seemed down on previous years, possibly due to the atrocious weather.

I managed to pick up a couple of cheap kits at a bargain price (£55 for the pair). They look like they might make decent models with some TLC. The first is an N2.

F7B452C1-3F07-4157-A681-627A43BEC74A.jpeg.eae032d9ad68f347c3b16155759c3202.jpeg61842566-3FB5-4465-ABBD-58AFBFF817B8.jpeg.95a4a563471a3a1aa4b913bb1cc4b570.jpeg

I’m struggling to work out the provenance of this kit as it seems to be mainly made of brass. The chassis is a couple of strips of thickish brass. Does anyone have any ideas who  might have made this? It’s quite well constructed, but will obviously need new wheels, some detailing (brake blocks, lamp irons etc) and repainting. It may need a new motor too as the can motor fitted seems quite noisy.

No one seems to have come up with an answer so here's a suggestion re. the N2.  Many years ago (more than 40) I had a white metal body kit for an N2; I think it was from Stephen Poole?  It was intended for the Hornby Dublo / Wrenn R1 0-6-0T mechanism; it included a mounting plate inside the bunker to allow this to be fitted, but there was no provision for a trailing truck!  I wondered whether yours might be one of these - in which case it's been put together better than mine ever was!  Presumably the mechanism is scratch built.

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, 31A said:

No one seems to have come up with an answer so here's a suggestion re. the N2.  Many years ago (more than 40) I had a white metal body kit for an N2; I think it was from Stephen Poole?  It was intended for the Hornby Dublo / Wrenn R1 0-6-0T mechanism; it included a mounting plate inside the bunker to allow this to be fitted, but there was no provision for a trailing truck!  I wondered whether yours might be one of these - in which case it's been put together better than mine ever was!  Presumably the mechanism is scratch built.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've done some more digging since my first post and there's no white metal to be seen. It's all beautifully engineered from quite thick brass - 1.1mm for most of the body and 1.8mm for the chassis frames. The boiler seems to be a one piece copper tube. The chassis seems to fit together with neatly engineered pins and holes, so I doubt it's scratchbuilt unless the guy who did it was a serious model engineer. I now have the chassis running smoothly on 23 mm Romfords powered by a DJH GB1 motor/ gearbox combo. I'm hoping this will be powerful enough to pull 14 coach ECS's on my layout. I will test tomorrow after some more running in.

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vitalspark said:

You do on our trainset.

Bachmann inspection saloon complete with a sooty roof..and brought up to date with a Scotrail 47/7.

And yes some of the wagons are awaiting their next turn on the weathering bench.

IMG_3599-1.jpg.33e76b00ced77a0cbcea0e02b472ba31.jpg

That's not soot!

Not the kind of soot that rain, driven onto its surface, as cold as tempered steel, is swallowed up like a beam of light, bending, falling, lost in the shadow of a blackhole. The shaft disappearing into its inky black heart ,leaving no trace of its existence behind.

Soot that envelopes like a cloak of Winter gloom, waiting to entrap the last shades off delicate summer petals in its noirish web.  No combination of locomotives ever had to work hard enough, to deposited such a legendary lair of soot on to something as minty fresh as a Bachmann inspection saloon............ It looks quite oily though.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

On 14/10/2019 at 13:20, thegreenhowards said:

I spent my weekend exhibiting our club layout at the Croydon show. It was an enjoyable show but both exhibits and attendance seemed down on previous years, possibly due to the atrocious weather.

I managed to pick up a couple of cheap kits at a bargain price (£55 for the pair). They look like they might make decent models with some TLC. The first is an N2.

F7B452C1-3F07-4157-A681-627A43BEC74A.jpeg.eae032d9ad68f347c3b16155759c3202.jpeg61842566-3FB5-4465-ABBD-58AFBFF817B8.jpeg.95a4a563471a3a1aa4b913bb1cc4b570.jpeg

I’m struggling to work out the provenance of this kit as it seems to be mainly made of brass. The chassis is a couple of strips of thickish brass. Does anyone have any ideas who  might have made this? It’s quite well constructed, but will obviously need new wheels, some detailing (brake blocks, lamp irons etc) and repainting. It may need a new motor too as the can motor fitted seems quite noisy.

The other kit is a V2.

9D964F29-8327-479F-973E-A72DEFD86D1D.jpeg.789aeb6cfa49abc42a0f78cc9a5ad46c.jpeg13485CD1-3CB5-4413-9FE1-2BA3B11A048E.jpeg.3c45e79b3e53688860cc5477d5ea6849.jpegA66A629E-C97F-4862-A3BF-737272FABBD6.jpeg.355babb380718a6358da11bb425723d7.jpeg

This one is again mainly made of brass. I suspect it might be Jamieson, but would welcome any confirmation of that or alternative suggestions. It runs on an old X04 so will definitely need a new motor as well as wheels, a repaint and detailing.

Thanks in advance for any help identifying the kits.

Andy

PS. Tony, 60508 is still going strong.

The V2 is definitely Jamieson, Andy. As for the N2, I've no idea. 

I'm glad 60508 is still going strong. Isn't that the one I kn@ckered the motor in?

Regards,

Tony. 

On 14/10/2019 at 18:59, Headstock said:

Evening Nick,

many thanks. You didn't mention the time period that you are modelling. However, you may find this image of use, the weathering is quite distinctive on these carriages and how come you never see sooty roofs like that on model railway carriages?

Grey plastic is the new black.

Metropolitan 422.jpg

Hi Andrew,

Probably around 1935-38 ish - still doing research so not set in stone - but that sort of period.  I guess that's the London Passenger Transport era.

Thanks for the pic.  Definitely will be some teak carriages, loads of weathering opportunities there!

Cheers,

Nick

I've just returned from a most-enjoyable couple of days in York, where I was invited to the launch of a brand new RTR loco from Locomotion/Dapol/Rails of Sheffield at the NRM.

Many thanks to Dennis Lovett for the invitation. 

And, here it is.......................

2035501181_WainwrightD01.jpg.b399739c99d1fdcedfe79aad14f97aed.jpg

The real thing - a Wainwright D.

26615591_WainwrightDmodel01.jpg.9ea7233dd9337d16a88d8a04e9b07762.jpg

This was the first put-together model off the moulds, still with slight alterations to be made. The smokebox/boiler/firebox are in die-cast metal for adhesion. 

565108467_WainwrightDmodel02.jpg.5b9bba59825a4d6ae8a85d6f2aa92d72.jpg

Different cabs and tenders are to be provided, suiting the various manifestations offered - SE&CR condition (three of), SR condition (two of) and BR condition (two of). 

1009328512_WainwrightD08.jpg.d9c82c2ee72b8c5520ec8f96c17f2191.jpg

Attention to detail is incredible, even down to the studs on the inside of the bogie wheel rims. 

All in all, it looks to be an outstanding model, at a target price of under £200.00! Full reports will appear in BRM, in the paper addition and electronically. The latter is probably already out there via Andy and Phil. 

I had an 'interesting' train journey between Grantham-York return. The Down journey was uneventful, via a new Azuma. Fast, but a bit uncomfortable.

Waiting for my return trip, I managed a shot of a diesel I've never photographed before.

1498937586_6802605.jpg.4f4b211319f37abd2cdcdeb9193a021c.jpg

A 'proper' loco, with buffers and couplings!  

The return journey was broken into two parts, because the train I was due to travel was cancelled. I got on another, having been told that an extra stop would be inserted at Grantham.  

At Doncaster, I managed to get shots of these two snowploughs.

622837175_snowplough01.jpg.7109eca4acb70565c97beb4198a671ab.jpg

1945124150_snowplough02.jpg.08fe1e7d408b3d415d8b63f0fb336dfa.jpg

They look to be carried on ex-Class 40/44/45/46 bogies, with the front wheelset removed. An interesting 'modern' take on what we've seen recently on here.

Having been told at York that the train would be stopping at Grantham, the conductor said he'd no idea, so I'd better get off at Newark. Which I did. Only to be told that it WOULD stop at Grantham. After it had left. 'Didn't you hear the station tannoy explaining this?' 'No' I was at the far end of the platform'. 'Ah, it doesn't reach that far!' 

Great, so a further 90 minutes at Newark. 

No matter, I managed to get this old and new shot at the station...............

480277258_AzumaandClass91.jpg.37bac723f9bef830521db3470f19d63a.jpg

Do look out for BRM for a full report of the announcement about the Wainwright D. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, vitalspark said:

You do on our trainset.

Bachmann inspection saloon complete with a sooty roof..and brought up to date with a Scotrail 47/7.

And yes some of the wagons are awaiting their next turn on the weathering bench.

IMG_3599-1.jpg.33e76b00ced77a0cbcea0e02b472ba31.jpg

Davy,

If that woman on the platform leans back any further she is going to get quite a surprise when the next express thunders through!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Would it be a bit front-heavy Tony?

DJH seem to have cracked that problem (at least on the SE&CR E1) with a very simple but effective front bogie spring, which can be adjusted until there's the right weight transfer onto the drivers. I was surprised at how straightforward it was.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Manxcat said:

Davy,

If that woman on the platform leans back any further she is going to get quite a surprise when the next express thunders through!

Yes she is scheduled for relocation soon as the trainset is undergoing make over for its final outing to Glasgow next February.

Obviously the 47/7 is a bit of nonsense posed for a shot after weathering and the fastest express through that platform would likely be J36 hauled!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Waiting for my return trip, I managed a shot of a diesel I've never photographed before.

1498937586_6802605.jpg.4f4b211319f37abd2cdcdeb9193a021c.jpg

A 'proper' loco, with buffers and couplings!  

Do they often bury their dead at the end of the platform in that part of the world?  The epitaph suggests a very grisly demise...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening Tony,

a rare bit of modelling and a chance to finish a project that has been ongoing for a very long time, yet there is plenty of other locos started after and finished before this one.

Originally it started as a Mercian LNWR G2a full kit given to me many years ago. The first Super D I built was from a brassmasters kits for a customer.

Unfortunately for some reason the loco body just didnt go together as planned so with Bachmann's RTR version, I managed to get hold of just the body.

It is powered by a very large Mashima flat can and High level gear box, built to 00 gauge.

Painting has finished and awaiting transfers as i've run out of early BR emblems on my HMRS transfer sheets without me realising.

The loco will become 49106 as depicted in a book I bought a few weeks ago on London's local railways as it will be ideal for cross London freight as there is a unidentified one in West Brompton yard on the west London railway.

DSC_8597.jpg.e6faf6f77d0a61b97f963cdc7fcc42ab.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

DJH seem to have cracked that problem (at least on the SE&CR E1) with a very simple but effective front bogie spring, which can be adjusted until there's the right weight transfer onto the drivers. I was surprised at how straightforward it was.

Thanks Al. I've never built a 4-4-0 but, were I to do so, I'd be tempted to try a Mike Sharman-style free-bogie tender.

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Would it be a bit front-heavy Tony?

Apparently not, John,

The centre of gravity is exactly between the drivers, and the bogie will be lightly-sprung. The aim is to having it be able to pull an equivalent prototype load - say eight/nine RTR carriages, with ease. I've offered LB as a test-bed (other RTR manufacturers use it) when the first 'production' models are available next year. 

Though manufacturers have test facilities and test tracks, they're invariably ready-to-lay systems of little complexity. A layout like LB allows for fast running, over a mixture of hand-built trackwork and Peco. I'm delighted manufacturers take me up on the offer, frequently shooting videos.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Chamby said:

Do they often bury their dead at the end of the platform in that part of the world?  The epitaph suggests a very grisly demise...

I really didn't notice, Phil,

Is it a memorial? If so, I imagine any ashes are scattered there. 

Not far from us, at Essendine, there's still a little memorial by the Down slow to Brian Carter, a Welshman who sadly died young, but who used to frequent this part of Stoke Bank many, many years ago. His wish was that his ashes be scattered here. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony

Thank you for the report from York. I was unable to attend but was represented by Chris Knowles-Thomas (for The 00 Wishlist Poll Team).

The SECR D Class has always been High Polling but moved into The Top 50 in 2018 coming in at overall position equal 22nd. We wish the project every success.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Al. I've never built a 4-4-0 but, were I to do so, I'd be tempted to try a Mike Sharman-style free-bogie tender.

Good morning John,

Every 4-4-0 tender loco I've built (about 15) is balanced in exactly the same way. The bogie has a light spring (to aid road-holding and to apply some pressure to stop the loco 'nodding') and the front of the tender rests on the drawbar, with the leading wheelset taking no load at all. Adhesion is thus improved. 4-4-0s (particularly white metal ones) are notoriously nose-heavy. 

1240485484_SEFinecastSchools.jpg.83e7c336e648d80468264083d8a77683.jpg

This SE Finecast Schools (painted by Ian Rathbone) has the arrangement, and will pull a dozen kit-built cars with ease. 

725355461_BECD1162662.jpg.7c60f5a857e9111965341b2987dc273f.jpg

As has this BEC D11 (painted by Geoff Haynes). The inner cab roof on this one is also lined with lead. It's taking a typical, latter-day D11 load, but it'll take three times this. 

Regards,

Tony. 

P.S. Thanks to the moderator for removing my earlier duplicate post. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I really didn't notice, Phil,

Is it a memorial? If so, I imagine any ashes are scattered there. 

Not far from us, at Essendine, there's still a little memorial by the Down slow to Brian Carter, a Welshman who sadly died young, but who used to frequent this part of Stoke Bank many, many years ago. His wish was that his ashes be scattered here. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony, the wording is a bit blurred in the photo, the caption appears to read: ‘Trains run either way on each line’.  So it is probably just a notice - but the person who erected it has made it look like a burial cross.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Tony

Thank you for the report from York. I was unable to attend but was represented by Chris Knowles-Thomas (for The 00 Wishlist Poll Team).

The SECR D Class has always been High Polling but moved into The Top 50 in 2018 coming in at overall position equal 22nd. We wish the project every success.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

Thanks Brian,

I met Chris (what a lovely chap) and he graciously presented me with a sort of wish-list voting slip. Perhaps pompously (definitely?), I declined.

I commented during the Q&A that, despite 'everyone' being happy (and they should be, given the potential of the model Wainwright D), that dear old Dave Ellis of SE Finecast might as well take his (beautiful) D kit off the market next year. In fairness, it being out now for some time, sales won't be many, anyway. 

I also commented that a professional painter would charge a considerable amount more JUST to give a 4mm loco full SE&CR regalia than the under-£200.00 aimed for with this new RTR loco. I genuinely was astonished at that target price. Of course, it'll be subject to future exchange rates, but I expected in excess of £250.00 to be the target. If it does come out at (around) £200.00, then I suggest a very, very early order! They'll fly off the shelves.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony

The point is taken...but have a look at the industry I come from. Printing.

Not all that many years ago, if you needed something like the Poll leaflet (that I guess was what Chris showed you as we don't have 'voting slips' such as in general elections) then you would have either had to write it out by hand or go to a printer to get a comparable result.

There, a compositor would set the type, a proofreader would read it and then - after customer OK - a machine minder would print it. It would then need to be cut to size, packed and delivered.

I set it up on my computer in minutes and emailed it to many contacts - again, in minutes.

That is progress. The only thing likely to remain constant is change.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm glad 60508 is still going strong. Isn't that the one I kn@ckered the motor in?

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes that's the one! I seem to remember we drove it very fast at a set of points that were set against it and the resultant short circuit fried the Portescap...possibly caused by it being fitted with a DCC decoder, although the decoder was fine after a reset.

It was actually quite a fortunate accident as you invited me back to get the loco fixed with a spare motor because at that stage dismantling valve gear was beyond me. I learnt enough from watching you repair 60508 and then you teaching me to build 60506, that valve gear is no longer an issue.

Thanks again for your tuition.

Andy

• Like 3