German TT - Kirchheim

rekoboy

If they do i hope that they'll choose the right scale and not Triang's hybrid version. There's no excuse to build to a larger scale these days unless to appease a small home market.

18 hours ago, rekoboy said:

There has been some activity at Kirchheim of late - note the new platform roof in one of my following photos. more on that later. The big news is that Kirchheim has just received a new loco - the BR 58 (ex Prussian G 12) from Hornby-Arnold. The long wait has been worth it! The loco is fantastic - one of the smoothest and quietest runners that I have encountered, and the detail and paint scheme are of the highest standard. The only negative for me is the poor quality of the loco crew figures - but they can be changed easily, I think. See what you think!

Hornby BR58 1.jpg

Hornby BR58 2.jpg

Lovely looking model and one of my favourite locomotives

On 15/10/2021 at 09:58, Hobby said:

If they do i hope that they'll choose the right scale and not Triang's hybrid version. There's no excuse to build to a larger scale these days unless to appease a small home market.

Hornby markets its TT, which is to European 1:120 scale, of course, through its German ? Chinese? Arnold subsidiary. So far the selection is small but of admirable quality - two steam locos, the BR 95 and the BR 58, one electric, a Reichsbahn CoCo Class E(2)51and numerous versions of the Köf shunting tractor. There are few Arnold TT dealers in the UK, but Hornby's own mail order service is great.

Edited by rekoboy
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Sadly, I have been diverted yet again from work on the layout by the lure of road transport in 1:120! While tidying up I found a box with some broken toy cars from the GDR which had once belonged to my son. Anyone else would have taken the junk briskly to the bin. Not Rekoboy. Some time ago an acquaintance had passed on to me the attached photo of a French Willeme tractor unit with a swan's neck (goose neck?) low loader which I thought would be a good modelling project. I had a couple of crane jibs in my SES vehicle parts bag and a spare MK/Klose/Schirmer MAN tractor unit - and now I had plenty of moulded plastic wheels, metal axles and chassis parts from the broken toy cars, plus diverse bits left over from other projects. The perfect basis for a new heavy truck! The low loader is now nearly complete - a few more details and some weathering and rust are needed.

Schwanenhals-Basis.jpg

Schwanenhals im Bau.jpg

Schwanenhals fast fertig.jpg

willeme_prp.jpg

• Like 4

You will be relieved to learn that some work has taken place on the layout - Bahnhof Kirchheim is almost complete, although a good number of figures need to be added and more detailing and signage completed. As you can see, some of the station staff are amazed that further work has been done! The platform is lit under the canopy with LEDs from a cheap strip intended for USB power. They are hooked up 'invisibly' to the power supply with fine copper wire recovered from a VW relay!  I am very pleased with the station signs which were produced with Word on my PC, employing the font 'Preussische IV 44 Ausgabe 3' which is available free on the internet if you search. See illustration. I experimented with various fonts and this clearly looked the part. The signs were printed on glossy photo paper and stuck with liquid cement on to poly sheet strips.

PreussischeIV44Ausgabe3.jpg

Bewunderung der neuen Schilder.jpg

Bewunderung der neuen Schilder 2.jpg

Edited by rekoboy
  • Like 2