Coney Hill Light Railway

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Well spotted...take 1 Slaters Midland 10 ton single-ended brake van, use the verandah as a template to make a copy out of 2 x 40 thou plasticard to make the 2nd end, extend the roof, add two Peco duckets from 0-16.5 coach kits & assemble = small brake van!

Sorry...2nd brake van is SLNCR Drover's van kit from Alphagraphix (card)

Too much work, not enough modeling this week!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Alphagraphix (Roger Crombleholme) does a good range of card building & stock kits in 7mm scale but don't have a website. They advertise in the Railway Modeller (p50a) and go to shows. Catalog 6 x 2nd class stamps from 23 Darris Rd,Smelly Park, Birmingham B29 7QY, you get money back with 1st order.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Coney Hill hasn't been reassembled since its last show and I've been busy with work. But both the green diesels have been into the works to have their rods painted dirty red and moderate weathering for the Ixion Fowler. I do like small diesel shunters and as a result we'll have too many.

post-14654-0-01472600-1386281281_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That's the dirtiest Fowler I've seen so far - I bet most of them will stay in their 'out of the box' condition. I suppose it's down to personal choice - to a collector you have just halved the value but to an enthusiast who knows what a likelike working loco looks like it's doubled the value . . . !

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, Mike,

I think dirtying the Fowler brings out its character & the details of the model. Details still to add, this one will work for its living!

Dava

That's the dirtiest Fowler I've seen so far - I bet most of them will stay in their 'out of the box' condition. I suppose it's down to personal choice - to a collector you have just halved the value but to an enthusiast who knows what a likelike working loco looks like it's doubled the value . . . !

Mike

Mike,

What you do is buy the unlined version for weathering and real work and the GWR version to be kept in ex-works condition. Simples.

Chris

Coney Hill hasn't been reassembled since its last show and I've been busy with work. But both the green diesels have been into the works to have their rods painted dirty red and moderate weathering for the Ixion Fowler. I do like small diesel shunters and as a result we'll have too many.

attachicon.gif2 green diesels.jpg

I approve. I am going to try to pick out the Fowler motif on the radiator with some gentle dry-brushing of white paint. 

Regards,

• RMweb Premium

Thank you kindly, Daniel.

Doing my crackerbox Xmas project at present, Coney Hill will be set up for running over the holiday.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Now off to Canada for a few days, may see some bigger diesels there, resume modeling on return so long as I avoid frostbite!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So what's been happening at Coney Hill over the festive season? Not a lot, as the layout has stayed boxed up after its last show although it will be back soon. Apart from the micro Christmas layout (final picture to be posted)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79478-christmas-railway-in-a-box/&do=findComment&comment=1260704

The holiday project has been the long-delayed rebuild of a SECR 'P' class 0-6-0T, originally a Roxey kit I think. This was acquired in a distressed state in 2012, as can be seen in the next photos. It had not been well built, apart from the paint finish.

post-14654-0-96448100-1388691843_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-40808800-1388691864_thumb.jpg

It is seen on the board of what became Coney Hill at Easter 2012. The chassis had a misaligned wheel bearing and once this was sorted it ran freely, but the pickups were rudimentary and there was no brake gear or sandboxes. The coupling rod etches were not soldered together and cab roof the wrong way round!

The body was treated to Modelstrip and this also softened the resin holding it together, so the whitemetal parts were cleaned (a long job) and stored. Meanwhile a new motor and many fittings such as sprung buffers, jointed side rods and detailed parts were acquired pending the rebuild.  This has more than doubled the purchase price!

Over Xmas/New Year I finally made up and fitted Gladiator plunger pickups which took a lot of work to get them placed and operating correctly. Forgive my soldering...

post-14654-0-01022900-1388691904_thumb.jpg

Then brake gear was made up including the weigh shaft and cylinder visible under the bunker on this class, and finally sandboxes. The restoration projects of the Bluebell Railway locos by Derek Hayward were really useful in showing the detail of these parts:

http://www.derekhayward.co.uk/BluebellRailway-1/Locomotives/178-Overhaul/20303752_4MqfPT#!i=1605410127&k=pXtScw6

post-14654-0-75376000-1388691927_thumb.jpg

I've started work on re-assembling the body. Whitemetal soldering using a 12v iron is surprisingly quick - I'd forgotten, its been so long since I made a whitemetal loco kit.

I'm aiming to have the loco running, as BR 31325, by the Kettering GOG event on 1 March. This will probably be the biggest loco to run on the layout. They were actually very small by mainline standards, and spent much of their careers on  light railway (Sheppey and KESR), docks (Shoreham) and industrial (colliery, Bowaters and Hodson's Mill) duties, so quite in keeping with my interests.  To be continued...

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Chris and any other followers, please do introduce yourselves at Kettering. Running rights granted to Ixion & other small locos (non-DCC), guest operators welcome.

Possible announcement to come about an appearance later this month.

Now back to soldering whitemetal tanks & boiler.

Dava

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm pleased to confirm that Coney Hill will be appearing - for the second time - at the Trent Valley Group (7mm NGA) Annual Open Day at Mickleover Community Centre, Derby, on Sat 25 January.

Full details of the event can be found at

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Admin/Shows/tvg3.htm

This is always a really friendly event. EDM Models will be there and no doubt happy to supply Ixion locos and other goodies.

As its a narrow gauge event, we'll be attempting to 'run a normal service' on Coney Hill's industrial tramway. Visitors to Coney Hill are welcome, the new P class may be running-in, and there could be news on a future development for the layout.

post-14654-0-80429000-1389635114_thumb.jpg

So if the Bristol 0 gauge show is too far to go, come to Derby instead!

Dava

I'm pleased to confirm that Coney Hill will be appearing - for the second time - at the Trent Valley Group (7mm NGA) Annual Open Day at Mickleover Community Centre, Derby, on Sat 25 January.

Full details of the event can be found at

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Admin/Shows/tvg3.htm

This is always a really friendly event. EDM Models will be there and no doubt happy to supply Ixion locos and other goodies.

As its a narrow gauge event, we'll be attempting to 'run a normal service' on Coney Hill's industrial tramway. Visitors to Coney Hill are welcome, the new P class may be running-in, and there could be news on a future development for the layout.

attachicon.gifHC + NG.rmw.jpg

So if the Bristol 0 gauge show is too far to go, come to Derby instead!

Dava

Dava,

What a splendid looking locomotive! However, I think she probably needs vacuum pipes for hauling passenger coaches.

Hope to see you at Kettering,

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Here is Coney Hill's new passenger loco (with Westinghouse air brake pipes, Chris!) , the P class rebuild, last night after finishing the brass fittings, handrails etc, washing and gentle polishing with a rotary brass brush. I find this burnishes the whitemetal to improve the surface quality, which comes up like gunmetal or pewter, before painting.

post-14654-0-63954300-1390248690_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-64146600-1390248714_thumb.jpg

Some filler was added to joints and a plasticard smokebox front  embossed with rivet detail. You can tell this is a recycled kit. I don't like Humbrol filler! This afternoon the body and chassis were sprayed with Halfords grey primer, so there is a fair chance of the loco being sprayed black and the chassis reassembled before the weekend. Just that work gets in the way...

Dava

Archived