Dear all

I have expanded my collection of photographs on Midland lines of BR at

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/midlandrailway

Many of these were taken in the later 1960s, using not very good cameras and from moving trains, so the quality is not good, and then some are very dirty.

However, I hope some of you find of interest. There is quite a lot of modelling inspiration amongst them. If you can identify the many localities I don't know, or rather generalised about I would be pleased if you could add a comment to the photograph.

Regards

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

Now the WOW has settled, thanks for those photos. I really like the ones of Bedford Midland Road Station, most of my early trainspotting was done there. I like the photo with the DMUs, the green 116 must have just been transfered from the WR for duties on the Moorgate services. These ran as 4 car units with 3 power cars, if you look closely the coach behind the green one is a driving car. I am sure the young lad with fair hair is my mate Rob who always went trainspotting with me. So where am I? The photo of the water crane reminds me of another mate who said "Where's the water thingy?" It was there one week and gone the next without any of us noticing.

The unidentified goods shed between Bedford and Luton is Leagrave. Ampthill goods shed by the date of the photo was in the middle of the scrap yard (full of army lorries in the late 60s) and set back from the running lines. Flitwick never had one. Harlington was behind the platform added when the DMU service started in the early 60s.

The photo titled "Bedford area signals and box.Brimingham Type 2 locomotive 20/5/67", is of Bedord North Box with the carriage and DMU sidings. Th Bo-Bo is on a parcels train in the siding nearest the running lines. This seemed to be common for there to be parcels vans on this line, not sure if it was a regular working that after being unloaded would be stabled in this siding ready for its return working.

The goods shed between Bedford and Wellingborough is Oakley. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/pics.aspx?a=0&hob_id=500990 now used as a garage.

Thanks Paul

Just had a quick look through them Paul; an excellent selection.

#58 = Spondon Jn looking south. The signal on the right is for the Down Goods line, whilst the one on the left protects the western exit from the Celanese Works Sidings

#100 = Derby North Jn looking north

#109 is a mirror image

#130 = Duffield Station looking south

Regards,Peter

[Edited for additional locations]

Thanks for the input. If some of you could put them as comments on the site itself I would be pleased.

At least none of you have suggested I should have been taking steam locos 7 years earlier, as was the immediate reaction on another site! :banghead: Not many 9 year olds were taking photos in those days - yes now it is normal with digital cameras but not in 1959!

Paul Bartlett

Archived