Carmarthen Junction Miscellena

BR Standards

Introduction

As mentioned elsewhere (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70468-gwr-absorbed-locos-on-carmarthen-junction/), “Carmarthen Junction” is a layout that can be populated with stock to represent either the mid-1930s or 1957-62 periods. No model railway portraying part of BR(W) would be complete without a selection of BR Standards. Some of those in my collection were sought out; others seemed to jump in of their own accord. Nevertheless, all of these classes saw some service in Wales or other parts of the Western Region in the BR steam period

4-6-2 Class 7MT 70018 “Flying Dutchman”

This loco was allocated new to Old Oak Common in 1951 and was transferred to Cardiff (Canton) in 1956. From 1961 to withdrawal in 1966, it worked on the LMR. I photographed her sister 70013 at Bressingham Gardens in 1975:

post-17793-0-93440500-1365750377_thumb.jpg

The model started life in the 1960s as a Tri-ang loco, complete with underscale steamroller wheels. I acquired it cheaply in almost new condition in the late 1990s and re-wheeled it with Romford wheels, fitted newer Hornby valve gear, renumbered it (Modelmaster transfers) and fitted etched brass nameplates and front numberplate. It looks and runs well, but could be further improved with separate handrails, but this would require a full repaint and re-lining. Maybe another time!

Here she is, hauling a WR express:

post-17793-0-55283200-1365749609_thumb.jpg

4-6-0 Class 4MT 75001

This was a WR loco from new (Shrewsbury, 1951) to withdrawal (Yeovil Town, 1964)

The model started life as a very sad black Bachmann model bought for a few dollars at a sale at “Train Trader” in Sydney. The body was severely warped, probably from being left in the sun or by being scalded with hot water. The motor ran, but the mechanism had jammed, through swelling of the plastic inserts in the driving wheels. I managed to find a green Mainline(?) body of 75001 on eBay and (later) some replacement wheels. I had to adjust the valve gear, to correct the warping that had been caused by the swollen spokes.

After tidying up the body and repainting and detailing the tender, the model is now fit to run:

post-17793-0-18744100-1365749604_thumb.jpg

2-6-0 Class 2MT 78005

This was a WR loco from new (Oswestry, 1953) to withdrawal (Gloucester, 1964)

This model was another refugee from “Train Trader”, starting life as a very sad looking Hornby (ex-LMS) 2MT. It was completely rebuilt, using a Crownline conversion kit and a new, smaller Hornby motor. Here she is in 2008, next to an unaltered Hornby model, prior to painting:

post-17793-0-57646600-1365749735_thumb.jpg

To my eyes, it now looks almost as good as an etched kit. Here she is, hauling a typical Mid-Wales passenger train:

post-17793-0-09293700-1365749712_thumb.jpg

2-6-4T Class 4MT 80033

This is a “ring-in”, having been allocated only to SR depots. Others were allocated to the former Cambrian system in the 1960s, such as 80097 to 80102. (I must get around to renumbering this one!)

This is a standard Wrenn model, purchased from a well-respected former workmate. I have replaced the bogie wheels, which had the unfortunate habit of shedding tyres. I have also had to superglue one set of driving wheels back on their axles. The body condition is like new, but the loose wheels make me think this may have had a hard life before I got it.

Here she is in charge of the breakdown train. Its coach is a converted Hornby Collett brake 3rd, repainted, lettered and numbered for a similar vehicle once allocated to Neath:

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/150246

post-17793-0-76668500-1365749740_thumb.jpg

2-6-2T Class 3MT 82004

This loco worked on the WR from new (Tyseley, 1952) until transferred to the SR (Bath Green Park, 1959)

This loco is still a favourite model. Probably my first second-hand loco, I originally bought it for about $5 from Searle’s hobby shop in Pitt Street, Sydney around 1965, while still attending high school. My mother persuaded me not to use it to motorise an Airfix 61XX, as it was (then) in such good condition. About 4 years ago, I overhauled the chassis, substituting Romford wheels and finer, more complete valve gear (probably current Hornby spares for a Stanier 4MT 2-6-4T). It looks much better for this. It still has its original X04 motor and Tri-ang gears and runs strongly and reliably.  It awaits an overhaul of the body, which will include new, separate handrails, transfers and full repaint.

Here she is, showing off her improved chassis:

post-17793-0-96492500-1365749747_thumb.jpg

2-10-0 Class 9F 92220  “Evening Star”

This celebrated engine was allocated mainly to WR depots (Cardiff (Canton), Old Oak Common, Oxford, Cardiff (East Dock)), with short stays at the SR’s Bath (Green Park). I managed to photograph her in Shildon in 1975:

post-17793-0-15303500-1365750383_thumb.jpg

When Tri-ang-Hornby first released their model of this loco, I just had to have one! I saved up and bought mine around 1971. It is one of the first batch that came to Oz, with permanently attached tender. Powerful, yet very controllable through all speeds from new, it still has its original traction tyres and performs well in both passenger and freight service.  I have fitted etched name- and number-plates, as well as scale screw couplers to it. Separate handrails and a full repaint await another project.

Here she is, in charge of an unfitted coal train.

post-17793-0-81287400-1365749757_thumb.jpg

References

1. Derek Huntriss: “On Cambrian Lines” (Ian Allan, 1993)
  2. R.W.Kidner “The Mid-Wales Railway” (2nd ed., Oakwood Press, 2003)
  3. Rex Christiansen: “British Railways Pictorial – Cambrian Lines” (Ian Allan, 2004)
  4. Richard Derry et al.: “The Book of the BR Standards” (Irwell Press, 1997)

Restored “Wrecks”

Introduction

Ever since I progressed from playing with a train set to actually making models of real ones (in the mid 1960s), I have enjoyed repairing and restoring old models, either to help a friend or to revive a “hopeless case” given to me as potential spare parts. It all began around 1965 when the proprietor of a local toy/sports store gave me an old Tri-ang dock shunter that was “beyond repair”. (I was about 16 years old and my parents were surprised I took on the challenge.) I succeeded in repairing it (see below) and never looked back!

0-4-0   5   “Tich”

This old toy/model was very sad. There were no brushes or brush spring. The old red body was dirty, battered and chipped and lacked tension-lock couplings and buffers. The knurled wheels were rusty. The power pickup wires and headlight globe were missing also.

I cleaned up everything, installed new brushes, and made new pickups and a brush spring with an insulating sleeve on one side. I lightly oiled the armature bearings, axles and gears. When I put power onto the brushes, the armature spun and the wheels rotated as they should!

I cleaned the rust off the knurled wheels, installed a grain-of-wheat globe and new sheet brass mount (to minimise light scatter down to the wheels) and fitted new buffers and couplings. I painted the body GWR green and used Letraset characters to number and name it “5, Tich” (my mother’s childhood nickname).

This freelance model entered service as a test loco and also to haul tracklaying equipment (wagons with pins, fishplates and offcuts of rail).

post-17793-0-85771600-1366270754_thumb.jpg

In 1987, it had a new use, to supplement clockwork locos on my 5-year-old son’s layout. Under his ”care”, it suffered a burned-out armature, but he learned enough from that to not repeat this event with later electric models.

I was able to source a replacement armature via eBay, as well as some Airfix loco spare wheels, which I used to upgrade the wheel standards of the chassis. Details of this approach are listed here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68845-replacement-wheels-for-triang-r157158-dmu/ and here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67038-blue-pullman-cheap-and-cheerful/. The model now usually sleeps in a shared glass case in semi-retirement, but is in perfect working order. The experience in repairing and upgrading this little toy has been invaluable.

4-6-0   7025   “Sudeley Castle”

In Feb 2002, Chris Manchip (a dear friend and fellow founder of our church’s model railway club) died suddenly. His widow donated a restored Hornby Dublo 3-rail display layout (shown below) to the club and also asked me to assist her in selling off most of his large HD collection.

post-17793-0-06026600-1366271019_thumb.jpg

These models were not mint collector pieces, but working examples from tinplate to super-detail models, which had been regularly shown in use on layouts built by Chris and his father (Stan). It took time, but I succeeded in re-homing the models, buying several for myself and selling others to fellow club members for use on the donated layout at our annual model railway shows.

One of the models was a “Bristol Castle”. It was very sad! Chris had bought it in poor external condition, with what paint that survived faded almost to LNER apple green! Transfers and lining were very patchy also. He had restored its chassis to good order, however.

After I took custody of the model (around 2005), I could not show it in that condition. I stripped it to bare metal, using a wire brush on a mini drill. I primed and repainted the shell and then applied new lining and transfers, as well as etched name- and number-plates for 7025 “Sudeley Castle”. I also took the opportunity to fit a replacement 0.5 inch rare-earth magnet, which improved overall running. It now takes turns to haul its coaches on the HD 3-rail layout when our club displays it.

Here she is, posing on “Carmarthen Junction” with a contemporary Hornby Dublo WR restaurant coach:

post-17793-0-18900800-1366270785_thumb.jpg

4-6-0   46100   “Royal Scot”

post-17793-0-29514500-1366270876_thumb.jpg

This Mainline model was a hand-me-down from a fellow parishioner, after I joined others in helping her move house. The body was in perfect condition. However, it had been used by her son until its wheelset failed in the usual way – fractured centre sections in all three insulating portions of the split axles. I tried to repair the damage, but even the gear wheel was beyond help. It sat on the shelf until I remembered that I had some oversized brass bearing inserts made many years before by a friend who worked in my old laboratory’s workshop. These were made to take 1/8” Romford axles, but their outside diameter was too big to be used instead of standard Romford bearings. However, they were a perfect fit in the Mainline frame!

I therefore found a set of suitable Romford driving wheels and axles in my scrapbox and fitted them to the chassis, together with a set of pickups on one side, connected to one of the motor brushes (which I had disconnected from its half of the split chassis simply by removing one of the mounting screws). A replacement gear was found in a set of cheap nylon gears bought from a local electronics hobby store, with the axle hole opened up to be a tight fit on the driven axle.

I modified the Romford wheels to take the Mainline valve gear and then reassembled the model. It now works perfectly,

4-6-2   46245   “City of London”

46245 is a bit of a jigsaw. Among the remnants of Chris Manchip’s Hornby Dublo collection was a box of spares – parts of dismantled and cannibalised locos, coaches and wagons, some wheels, armatures, brushes, screws, etc. I kept all of these, including a battered 3-rail “Duchess” class loco, which still had part of its valve gear, a tender body and a good chassis block, but no motor. Around 2007, a workmate appeared in my office with another similar model, which he had rescued from a landfill. This was a 2-rail “City of London”, whose frame was cracked and broken just behind the third axle. This one had an armature, but no brushes or springs. Its wheels, pickups and some of the valve gear were still ok. I tested the armature and found that it was still good. I transferred the wheels to the older chassis, together with the armature, gears and missing bits of valve gear. I provided a new rare-earth magnet, new brushes and springs and tested the motor. It all worked!

I finished restoring the chassis by transferring the pickups and then tidying up the wiring to the motor.

I found a suitable chassis for the tender and reassembled it.

I then carefully restored the paintwork – not a full repaint, but a careful touch-up of the loco and tender, wherever the paintwork was chipped or damaged, ensuring that the original transfers remained visible.

Here is the final result, showing the model next to a restored Exley ex-LMS BG:

post-17793-0-53076400-1366270917_thumb.jpg

4-6-0   75001

post-17793-0-41269400-1366270954_thumb.jpg

As mentioned elsewhere, 75001 is another jigsaw model. Its bogie came from a garage sale at Train Trader (Sydney). Its chassis, heat-affected black body and tender came from another garage sale at the same shop 12 months later! The body and replacement driving wheels came from two separate eBay purchases. The tender was repainted with Humbrol enamels to match the new body and decorated with Modelmaster transfers.

Bo-Bo   D8107

post-17793-0-21967300-1366270719_thumb.jpg

This Hornby Dublo model came as an incomplete gift from a former workmate. It had a working motor, but lacked wheels on the driven axles, as well as most of the sideframes for the bogies. The paintwork was very untidy, especially the pale green on the upper part of the body. I replaced the missing wheels from my stock of Airfix wheels – the same ones used for “Tich” and my Blue Pullman project. I had to turn a slot in the wheels on one side for traction tyres (as provided on the original wheels) to ensure the model had enough traction. Replacement side frames came in a set of four through eBay.

Finally, I restored the paintwork as closely as I could to the original scheme.

The model now runs as well as she looks.

0-6-0 15105

post-17793-0-22293400-1366270827_thumb.jpg

This was a restoration project for an old Kitmaster diesel shunter, seen above on coal stage duties. Full details of the work have been posted here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59875-motorising-kitmaster-08/

GWR Small Tender Locos

0-6-0s

Ex-Cambrian Railway 908

post-17793-0-27388900-1366421626_thumb.jpg

908 was built as Mid-Wales Railway No. 5 and came into GWR stock at the 1922-23 Grouping. It remained as a stalwart loco in Wales for most of its remaining service until withdrawal in 1938.

See also the entry at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70468-gwr-absorbed-locos-on-carmarthen-junction/

post-17793-0-69788300-1366421833_thumb.jpg

2516 was built by the GWR in 1897. It was retained in service in the early 1950s for use on the Kerry branch in Mid-Wales. It was withdrawn for preservation in 1956.

My model of 2516 came as a non-working Mainline loco, given away by a model shop that was closing down. After I stripped it, found that the pickup wires to the tender were broken and that part of the gear train was missing. The motor was still in working order, though. The plastic tender wheels had been replaced by non-standard metal wheels, possibly Romford, to which had been fitted gears recovered from the original wheelset. The plastic keeper plate had also been replaced by a 5mm thick steel one. I bought a set of replacement Hornby gears (which fitted perfectly) and repaired the wiring. The loco worked! I then repainted it into BR black, recalling the last few survivors that worked in Mid-Wales in the 1950s.

post-17793-0-92675000-1366421791_thumb.jpg

2322 served the GWR from 1884 until 1951.

My example is a Hornby model, bought new. Initially, it worked very well, but this changed when the traction tyres failed, causing derailments and slippage. No suitable replacements seemed to be available, despite trials of several brands. The best running came with the use of “Bullfrog Snot”, a US-sourced rubbery product painted onto the wheels in place of tyres, but even this was far too rough. I ended up adopting a similar solution to that used for 2516. I ground the wheels off their gears and then mounted the gears onto 2mm dia. axles with standard spare 16mm dia. inside-bearing spoked metal wheels. Traction was poor, so I painted a thin coat of Bullfrog Snot onto the wheels on one side only. This has worked well.

2517 worked from 1897 until 1940.

As mentioned above, I have had mixed success with the Mainline/Hornby Dean Goods. I purchased a Hornby one new and, until recently, it ran well. The Mainline ones (bought or given to me as second hand) have been very mixed.

Among other things, the traction tyres can lead to derailments of the tender, so replacement tyre specs can be critical to success/failure. I have had some success in using "Bullfrog Snot" instead of tyres, but this can also run roughly if not applied well.

I did use a smooth-running Mainline tender in the kitbashing of GWR 908, as listed above.

This left me with a nice body in the scrapbox. When other examples started to misbehave, close to my club's model railway show in Nov 2012, I chose to do a "cheap and dirty" motorising job, as I wanted to include at least one Dean Goods in my 1930s Mid-Wales display.

My scrapbox also held the following:

• Wills/Finecast 1854 class chassis block (which has a suitable wheelbase!)
  • Suitable Romford wheels and gears
  • Tri-ang X04 motor with 5-pole MRRC armature
  • New rare-earth magnet for X04 motor

I assembled the chassis using the above bits and then replaced the Mainline plastic chassis with it, opening up the underside of the body just enough to accept it.

post-17793-0-14172100-1366421873_thumb.jpg

There was still room for a small amount of lead in the smokebox for extra traction.

A new tender was adapted from an old spare from an ancient Airfix kit, upgraded with new handrails, wheels etc and painted to match the Dean Goods.

This work took only a few days and resulted in a very smooth running loco, suitable for shunting on my sharply curved terminus to fiddleyard layout.

post-17793-0-72675300-1366421920_thumb.jpg

This is, of course, an "old school" approach, and it doesn't have the finely detailed chassis that comes from a modern etched kit, but this quick project gave me a model that runs well and can take its turn on the layout without fear of failure.

post-17793-0-74752400-1366421660.jpg

2213 was built by the GWR and remained in service until 1960.

This model is a standard Mainline loco purchased cheaply around 1982, when a lot of Mainline models were being “remaindered” in Sydney. It’s not the quietest model, but is still completely reliable

post-17793-0-07775400-1366421687.jpg

The real 2251 was built in 1930 and worked until 1963.

2251 was my very first kitbash exercise. It made use of the chassis of my second engine – a Tri-ang diesel shunter (a Christmas present around 1957). The boiler and original tender came from an Airfix City of Truro kit. The remainder of the loco body came from plastic recovered from ice cream packaging. The above photo was taken just after I finished it in 1969. Over the years, it has been improved and upgraded – rather like Grandfather’s axe. It now has Romford wheels and gears. It can be used with the GWR period locos, when it is fitted with a Mainline Collett tender. It can also serve with the BR(W) period locos, when it uses an ex-ROD tender. Its paintwork and transfers are now much more presentable than when it was first built.

post-17793-0-24703200-1366421732_thumb.jpg

2-6-0s

post-17793-0-92389600-1366421966_thumb.jpg

2620 entered service in 1903 and continued to work until 1949.

See entry at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70333-what-have-you-done-with-your-keyser-kit/

post-17793-0-53239700-1366422235_thumb.jpg

6326 worked from 1921 to 1964.

See also the entry at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70333-what-have-you-done-with-your-keyser-kit/

post-17793-0-42539500-1366422284_thumb.jpg

6384 was built in 1921 and worked until 1963.

This is a Bachmann model, bought new at a fire sale. (Really!) It worked perfectly when new, but has developed the “swollen spoke” disease, found in many Bachmann models that have plastic spoke inserts. This tends to jam the mechanism and makes it “waddle”. It sees little use and awaits re-wheeling.

4-2-2s

Carmarthen Junction hosts 2 Dean Singles, both Tri-ang models. The prototype of 3011 worked from 1892 to 1911. 3046 worked from 1895 to 1908.

3046 was a Christmas present around 1965. I bought 3011 around 1967, second-hand from Searle’s Hobbies in Pitt St., Sydney for about $5. Both locos normally work together. Here they are on the small garden railway extension to the layout built in my father’s shed, in July 1968.

post-17793-0-97747800-1366422134.jpg

3011 “Greyhound”

post-17793-0-06276600-1366421550_thumb.jpg

“Greyhound” now has extra power pickups on the tender and “Bullfrog Snot” on its driving wheels and can pull a 6-coach set of Hornby corridor clerestories unassisted.

3046 “Lord of the Isles”

post-17793-0-63586300-1366422182_thumb.jpg

“Lord of the Isles” has been modified in the same way as “Greyhound”

4-4-0s

See separate article: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70438-gwr-4-4-0s-on-carmarthen-junction/

References

1. Anon: The locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 4 – Six-wheeled Tender Engines (RCTS, 1956)
  2. Anon: The locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 7 – Dean’s Larger Tender Engines (RCTS, 1954)
  3. Anon: The locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 9 – Standard Two-cylinder Classes (RCTS 1962)
  4. Anon: The locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 10 – Absorbed Engines 1922-1947 (RCTS, 1966)
  5. W.A.T.Aves: The Locomotives of the Cambrian and Midland & South West Junction Railways (Locomotives Illustrated 162, Jul-Sep 2006)
  6. J.N.Slinn: Great Western Way (HMRS, 1978)
  7. C.J.Freezer: Locomotives in Outline GWR (Peco Publications, 1977)
  8. C.C.Green: Cambrian Railways Album – 2 (Ian Allan, 1981)
  9. Brian Reed: British Single-Drivers (Loco Profile 5, Profile Publications, undated)
  10. Mike Romans: GWR Dean and Collett 0-6-0s (Locomotives Illustrated 55, Sep-Oct 1987)
  11. J.W.P.Rowledge: Armstrong & Dean 0-6-0 Goods Engines of the GWR (Locomotives Illustrated 157, Apr-Jun 2005)
  12. J.H.Russell: A pictorial Record of Great Western Absorbed Engines (OPC, 1978)

Introduction

Despite my primary interest in steam traction, there has nearly always been some diesel content in my model railway collection. When planning to exhibit models from the steam/diesel transition period, it was obvious that a few first generation diesels should be acquired.

15104 & 15105

The GWR’s Lot 364 of 1946 was for six diesel electric locomotives, to be built at Swindon but with English Electric power units. These were delivered to British Railways in 1948 as 15101-6. They were all withdrawn in 1967.

post-17793-0-39374800-1366534833_thumb.jpg

15104 started life as my second model loco around 1957: a Tri-ang black diesel shunter numbered 13005. In the mid 1960s, its chassis was used for steam-outline models, ending up under 2251, described above. More recently, I took pity on the body shell and reactivated it with a spare Tri-ang 0-6-0 chassis, repainting it green and numbering it 15104. I fitted 18mm dia K’s driving wheels, recovered from an ROD kit (see post #17 here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70333-what-have-you-done-with-your-keyser-kit/ ) It also inherited buffers, couplings and gears from the scrapbox. It now looks good, in retirement in its glass case - an interesting, but inaccurate model.

post-17793-0-47422300-1366534838_thumb.jpg

15105 is a Kitmaster/Lima model, detailed here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59875-motorising-kitmaster-08/

D8107

post-17793-0-99438800-1366534884_thumb.jpg

In 1957, English Electric delivered the first example of what ultimately became known as the Class 20 bo-bo diesel electric locomotives. D8107 was built in 1958 and is still in service, as 20107.

D8107 is seen above with a short goods train that includes a few old Dublo vans. It is a restored Hornby Dublo model, described above.

GWR Railcar 22

post-17793-0-05863100-1366534893_thumb.jpg

GWR railcar 22 was built at Swindon under carriage lot 1635, entering service in 1940. It was withdrawn in 1962 and was preserved on the Severn Valley Railway.

This model is a standard Hornby one, purchased new. It works well and is useful on my terminus-to-fiddle yard layout when it is set in automatic mode in exhibitions (during lunch breaks, etc). I have painted the interior and fitted some figures, to add life to the model.

BR(W) Railcar W22

post-17793-0-42375200-1366534875_thumb.jpg

W22 is simply GWR 22, renumbered and wearing mid-1950s BR livery.

This is a standard Lima model, bought second-hand. Its previous owner fitted it with an interior light. I have painted the interior and added figures. Otherwise, it is as manufactured.

BR Railbus M79971

post-17793-0-44116700-1366534864_thumb.jpg

M79971 was built for BR by Park Royal and worked from 1958 to 1968.

This model was a self-imposed challenge to motorise this tiny plastic Dapol kit. (I had built an Airfix one many years before and had wondered how to mobilise it.) I used a Hornby spare motor/gearbox for one of their modern Pacer railbuses, installed under the floor as shown below. I also fabricated seats and fitted passengers and crew. I think it does look the part, but its long, rigid wheelbase needs some upgrading still to deliver smooth running.

post-17793-0-28403200-1366534870_thumb.jpg

BR(W) Railcar W55027

post-17793-0-12173900-1366534879_thumb.jpg

W55027 is a Class 121 railcar built for BR(W) in 1960 by the Pressed Steel Company. By 2011, 55027 was stored out of use. Some of its classmates are still in service with Chiltern Railways and Network Rail.

The model was a standard Hornby product that has been modified by painting the interior and fitting passengers and crew. Test running on a slight gradient resulted in severe wheel slippage, so I fitted replacement driven wheels fitted with traction tyres. It now looks and runs well.

Here’s an image of both the railbus and the Cl 121 railcar:

post-17793-0-25309200-1366534616_thumb.jpg

References:

1. Anon: The abc of British Railways Locomotives – Combined Volume, Parts 1-4 (Ian Allan, 1961-2)
  2. Anon: The Locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 11 – The Rail Motor Vehicles and Internal Combustion Locomotives (RCTS, 1956)
  3. Anon: The Locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 12 – A Chronological and Statistical Survey (RCTS, 1974)
  4. Anon: The Locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 13 – Preservation and Supplementary Information (RCTS, 1983)
  5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_20
  6. http://www.railuk.info/members/diesel/getloco.php?id=1231
  7. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Railbuses
  8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_121

Hi RB,

Fantastic stuff as always!

One point, No. 22 was (and still is) a member of the Great Western Society's collection. It spent time at the Severn Valley in the early days but is resolutely a Didcot machine!

All the best,

Castle

Thank you, Castle, for the update on No. 22.

I should have checked on-line to update the information on its preservation in RCTS Vol 13, especially in the light of the small (illustrated) article in the Feb 2013 issue of "Railway Magazine" (the latest one available here in Oz) which describes its adventure on 25 Nov at Didcot. It seems to have been jealous of the attention paid to visiting 60103.

It's nice to know 22 is still operational.

Regards,

Rob

Private Owner Wagons

In the early 1970s, I realised that, to model the railways in South Wales in the mid-1930s, I needed a fleet of PO coal wagons that operated in or through that area. I had read quite a few articles in Model Railway News by Peter Matthews and realised that this was a large subject.

While visiting the UK in 1975, I photographed a few survivors in the preservation sites:

post-17793-0-27081200-1366599607_thumb.jpg

post-17793-0-18700600-1366599655_thumb.jpg

post-17793-0-05662600-1366599743_thumb.jpg

post-17793-0-16460100-1366599696_thumb.jpg

I also purchased Books 1, 2 and 3 of “The Modeller’s Sketchbook of Private Owner Wagons” by A.G.Thomas, as well as several Peco Wonderful Wagon kits. Later in Sydney, I managed to buy a copy of Peter Matthews: “Private Owner Wagons” (MAP Specialist booklet No. 11, 1973). These provided me with sufficient information to begin to letter my own fleet of wagons. The re-lettered Peco wagons have been supplemented by other RTR ones already lettered for my chosen area. I have chuckled more than a few times when I have noted that RTR wagons have appeared with the same designs I painted on my own wagons years before.

More recently, I have also gathered a few Mid-Wales examples, for use on my small terminus to fiddle-yard layout with other suitable stock.

Relettered Wagons:

• Butterley
  • Cambrian Carriage & Wagon Builders
  • Coalite, London
  • Dunkerton, Bath
  • Eifionyd Farmers’ Association
  • Elizabeth Meredith Jones
  • Evans & Bevan Anthracite
  • GKB
  • Great Western Colliery
  • John Toomer & Sons
  • Prince of Wales, Pontefract
  • Standard (Cambrian Wagon Co.)
  • W.Y.Craig & Sons
  • Ynys Amman
  • Ynisarwed

RTR Wagons:

a. South Wales

• Ammanford Colliery
  • Avon Tyres (20t steel)
  • Berthylwyd
  • Blaenavon (20t steel)
  • BQC
  • Broadoak
  • Bute Merthyr
  • Cambrian Coke
  • Cambrian Carriage & Wagon Builders
  • Coalite, London
  • David Jones & Sons
  • Ebbw Vale
  • Emlyn
  • Evans & Bevan Anthracite
  • Glenhafod (20t steel)
  • Great Mountain
  • I.W.Baldwin
  • North’s Navigation
  • Ocean
  • Patent Nut & Bolt
  • Primrose
  • S C (20t steel)
  • South Wales & Cannock Chase
  • Wm Evans & Co

b. Mid-Wales

• Abercrean Collieries
  • Cefnmawr & Rhosmedre
  • Diamond Anthracite
  • Llanalwedd Basalt Quarries
  • Pwllheli Granite
  • S J

c. Other Areas

• CWS
  • E.Turner & Sons
  • Hale Fuels
  • Ilkeston & Heanor Water Board
  • Mendip Moundain Quarries
  • Prince of Wales, Pontefract
  • Sutton Heath Collieries
  • Wadsworth

d. Roofed

• Crawshay Bros
  • ICI Salt
  • SLB
  • Stafford Salt
  • Union Salt

e. Vans

• Colman’s Mustard
  • ICI Salt
  • Izal Products
  • J & W Stuart

Here are two images of relettered wagons. There is a mix of brands, including Tri-ang, Tri-ang-Hornby, Peco and Airfix. Wheels are now generally modern metal ones on pinpoint axles running in brass bearings. My rewheeling technique is detailed here: http://stlukeschurch.com.au/st-lukes-railway-modellers-club/

post-17793-0-09307500-1366599792_thumb.jpg

post-17793-0-43259100-1366599837_thumb.jpg

Here is an image of full and empty South Wales coal trains passing on “Carmarthen Junction”:

post-17793-0-14361200-1366599514_thumb.jpg

Here is an image of a Mid-Wales goods train which includes a few PO wagons with general loads:

post-17793-0-57286000-1366599566_thumb.jpg

References:

1. A.G.Thomas: “The Modeller’s Sketchbook of Private Owner Wagons” Books 1, 2 and 3 (Model Railway (Manufacturing) Co. Ltd, undated)
  2. Peter Matthews: “Private Owner Wagons” (MAP Specialist booklet No. 11, 1973)
  3. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/4-rstock/powag1.htm
  4. http://www.lightmoor.co.uk/BDLpdf_files/Private_Owner_Wagons_Index.pdf

GWR tank engines

Inspirations

As mentioned elsewhere (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70468-gwr-absorbed-locos-on-carmarthen-junction/), I have been interested in GWR and BR(W) railways for a long time. In the mid-1960s, I assembled a Kitmaster 61XX kit and longed to motorise it.  In 1975, I took the opportunity to visit the UK for 8 weeks and, among other subjects, took a number of colour slides of GWR engines. During this time, I visited Didcot loco depot and, just as I entered the museum area, was greeted by 6106 wheezing by as it shunted the yard. Here is a selection of scans from my (now somewhat faded) slides:

6106, Didcot, 9 Aug 1975:

post-17793-0-48055600-1366787159_thumb.jpg

1466 at Didcot coal stage, 9 Aug 1975:

post-17793-0-00846300-1366786156_thumb.jpg

6412, Paignton, 15 Aug 1975:

post-17793-0-17635200-1366787250_thumb.jpg

7752 sharing tourist shuttle (with LMS 4767 “George Stephenson”) during railway exhibition, Shildon, 26 Aug 1975:

post-17793-0-35089700-1366787419_thumb.jpg

5643 under repair, Carnforth loco depot, 17 Sep 1975:

post-17793-0-25932400-1366787053_thumb.jpg

4555, Paignton, 15 Aug 1975:

post-17793-0-84692500-1366786638_thumb.jpg

In June 2012, my son attended Railfest at York during his holiday in the UK. Here is his image of 5521 that he saw there:

post-17793-0-35858000-1366786971_thumb.jpg

BR steam breakdown crane, Crewe, 4 Sep 1975:

post-17793-0-88277600-1366787499_thumb.jpg

4mm Scale Models:

0-4-2T

517 Class

post-17793-0-91033600-1366785993_thumb.jpg

Built in 1875, 848 was a late survivor which worked on the Mid-Wales line in the 1930s. She was scrapped in 1945. I modelled her as illustrated in Great Western Railway Journal #75 (Oswestry, 23 Aug 1938) and in Cambrian Railways Album - 2 (Brecon, 6 Sep 1936).

She was one of the long wheelbase examples with outside bearings on the trailing wheels, as shown in the drawing on page 22 of Model Railways, Jan 1980, so was the same length as the donor model.  My model of 848 was rebuilt from an Airfix 14XX body and Dapol chassis.

Conversion was fairly simple, mainly requiring a new cab and replacement sand boxes and tool boxes.

I left the tanks as they were, but cut off the cab. I fabricated the new one from copper sheet - easy to work and solder, but strong once assembled and easy to fix in place with cyanoacrylate adhesive. The brass window frames were made from driving wheel bearings! Replacement whistles and buffers were new commercial items.

48XX/14XX class

post-17793-0-84938500-1366786828_thumb.jpg

4833 was built in 1934 and scrapped in 1961.

My model was built from a K’s kit, described here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70333-what-have-you-done-with-your-keyser-kit/

post-17793-0-11346600-1366786197_thumb.jpg

1466 was built in 1936 and has been preserved by the GWS.

The model is a standard Hornby product, with etched number plates. Wearing “GWR” insignia, it also works with the 1957-62 period models:

post-17793-0-50430600-1366786227_thumb.jpg

0-4-4T

Ex-MSWJR 23

post-17793-0-64282000-1366787561_thumb.jpg

The prototype was built in 1895 for the Midland & South West Junction Railway, come to the GWR at Grouping and remained in service until 1930.

See also the entry at http://www.gwr.org.uk/nomswjr7.html

2-4-0T

Ex-Cambrian Railways 1196

post-17793-0-15730900-1366786032_thumb.jpg

This little engine was built in 1866 for the Cambrian Railways as their No 59 “Gladys”. It came to the GWR at Grouping, was extensively rebuilt and lasted until 1948.

See also the entry at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70468-gwr-absorbed-locos-on-carmarthen-junction/

0-6-0T

Ex-B&E 1376

post-17793-0-02215400-1366786084_thumb.jpg

This cute little tank loco worked from 1874 to 1934.

See also the entry at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67786-gwr-1376-ex-bristol-exeter-0-6-0t-project/

Ex-WCPR 5 “Portishead”

post-17793-0-32477000-1366785941_thumb.jpg

Built for the LBSCR, this loco was bought by the Weston, Cleveland and Portishead Railway. Their stock was absorbed by the GWR in 1940 and this engine finished work in 1949, being scrapped by BR(W) in 1954.

See entry at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70333-what-have-you-done-with-your-keyser-kit/

Ex-N&B 2161

post-17793-0-63025700-1366785887.jpg

Built for the WD in 1917, this loco bought by the Neath & Brecon Railway after the Great War. It was absorbed into GWR stock at Grouping and was sold in 1929 for colliery service.

0-6-0PT

post-17793-0-21517200-1366786298_thumb.jpg

1890 worked for the GWR from 1891 to 1947.

The model is an 1854 class pannier tank and was built around 1966-7 from a Wills kit. My first whitemetal kit loco, it was not as neat an assembly job as I was able to do later, so I did strip and remake it some years later. It has Romford wheels, gears and axles and a Tri-ang X04 motor. Very well run-in(!), it still performs well and is a delightful shunter.

post-17793-0-15965400-1366787290_thumb.jpg

6435 was in service from 1937 until 1964.

My model was originally acquired as a Hornby Railways 8751 class pannier tank, complete with Synchrosmoke, around 1972. It was always a rough runner on code 100 Shinohara and Peco pointwork and lacked a lot of detail. It was rebuilt as a 64XX class, with smaller Romford wheels, separate handrails and other details, including etched numberplates. It was repainted with Precision Paints enamels and decorated with HMRS transfers. It now runs very smoothly and well and is one of the alternative locos available to be paired with an autocoach.

post-17793-0-96500100-1366786782_thumb.jpg

4658 served the GWR and BR from 1943 to 1964.

The model has been detailed here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70333-what-have-you-done-with-your-keyser-kit/

post-17793-0-76652600-1366786371_thumb.jpg

5796 worked from 1930 until 1959.

The model is a standard Bachmann product, unaltered. It is in BR black, as part of the 1957-62 display. It is suitable for shunting, branch goods or passenger trains or even the brakedown train, which includes modified Hornby crane and ex-GWR crew coach:

post-17793-0-87741600-1366787120_thumb.jpg

post-17793-0-54683700-1366787468_thumb.jpg

9402 worked from 1947 to 1959 and was part of the last group of locos built by the GWR before nationalisation.

The model is a Grafar example, bought from Guy Norris during my 1975 trip to the UK. I have fitted a few extra details, including new etched number plates. It sometimes serves with the BR period locos, representing one of the late survivors wearing “GWR” instead of the cycling lion.

0-6-2T

Ex-N&B 1670

post-17793-0-32573200-1366786249.jpg

Built for the Neath & Brecon Railway, 1670 worked from 1921 until 1954.

post-17793-0-09787600-1366787367_thumb.jpg

6667 served the GWR and BR(W) from 1931 to 1966.

The model was an inexpensive second-hand purchase and was a roughly-running Mainline model 56XX class. Thorough cleaning and the addition of extra detail, including etched numberplates, has produced a sweetly running, powerful loco, suitable for both long strings of PO wagons and passenger trains. I have found that regular use is important to prevent the buildup of non-conductive “gunge” in the driving axleboxes. It awaits relettering from “GWR” to “Great Western”.

2-6-2T

45XX class

post-17793-0-40294100-1366786417_thumb.jpg

4508 worked from 1907 until 1959.

The model started life as a Lima 4575 class loco. I bought it through eBay as a stalled, incomplete Crownline conversion. Its main problem was distortion of the body, caused by “exploding” diecast ballast weights. Once these were prised out, I was able to complete the project and then apply some extra details. The original Lima mechanism still works perfectly, so I did not touch that. The model looks and runs well, especially with a B Set and horsebox.

post-17793-0-26787400-1366786738_thumb.jpg

4569 worked from 1924 to 1964.

The model is a standard Bachmann product in BR green. No significant changes have been made to this model, apart from the fitting of etched numberplates.

post-17793-0-86558100-1366787014_thumb.jpg

5564 worked from 1928 to 1964.

The model was a standard Lima black 4575 class, bought second-hand at a “bring and buy” stall. I soon found why it was cheap – the armature would stall every time it warmed up. The only solution which worked for me was to remotor it with an Aussie Modeltorque unit. It now has etched number plates and a few other extra details and is a sweet, reliable runner. It represents that group of 4575s which were autofitted in the 1950s to serve in the Welsh valleys. (5564 was not actually in that group of 15.)

post-17793-0-97849800-1366786870_thumb.jpg

5164 served from 1930 to 1963.

The model was adapted from an Airfix 61XX, using etched numberplates and a few extra details. One of its slidebar assemblies totally failed, so the entire cylinder block and slidebar unit was replaced with an equivalent one recovered from a scrapped Mainline Manor class model. It now works quite well and looks great hauling a string of vans.

post-17793-0-47487100-1366787203_thumb.jpg

6148 worked from 1933 to 1964.

The model is simply another Airfix loco with replacement etched numberplates. It works well and is often used on a variety of passenger or parcels trains.

References

1. Anon: The locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 3 – Absorbed Engines, 1854-1921 (RCTS, 1956)
  2. Anon: The locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 5 – Six-coupled Tank Engines (RCTS, 1958)
  3. Anon: The locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 6 – Four-coupled Tank Engines (RCTS, 1959)
  4. Anon: The locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 9 – Standard  Two-cylinder Classes (RCTS, 1962)
  5. Anon: The locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 10 – Absorbed Engines 1922-1947 (RCTS, 1966)
  6. W.A.T.Aves: The Locomotives of the Cambrian and Midland & South West Junction Railways (Locomotives Illustrated 162, Jul-Sep 2006)
  7. W.A.T.Aves: The Pre-1923 Pannier and Saddle Tanks (Locomotives Illustrated 118, Mar-Apr 1998)
  8. Derek Cross: The Great Western Railway’s 2-6-2Ts (Locomotives Illustrated 33, undated)
  9. C.J.Freezer: Locomotives in Outline GWR (Peco Publications, 1977)
  10. Chris Leigh: The LBSCR “Terriers” (Locomotives Illustrated 48, Jul-Aug 1986)
  11. Mike Romans: Great Western 0-4-2Ts (Locomotives Illustrated 60, Jul-Aug 1988)
  12. Mike Romans: Great Western 0-6-2s (Locomotives Illustrated 66, Jul-Aug 1989)
  13. J.H.Russell: A pictorial Record of Great Western Absorbed Engines (OPC, 1978)
  14. J.N.Slinn: Great Western Way (HMRS, 1978)
  15. Model Railways, Jan 1980
  16. Great Western Railway Journal #75

GWR Larger Tender Locos

Inspirations

As mentioned elsewhere (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70468-gwr-absorbed-locos-on-carmarthen-junction/), I have been interested in GWR and BR(W) railways for a long time. In 1975, I took the opportunity to visit the UK for 8 weeks and, among other subjects, took a number of colour slides of GWR engines. Here is a selection of scans from my (now somewhat faded) slides:

7808 Cookham Manor, Shildon, 26 Aug 1975:

post-17793-0-93571600-1367188401_thumb.jpg

Castle class awaiting restoration, Tysley, Birmingham, 7 Sep 1975:

post-17793-0-73376600-1367188071_thumb.jpg

4079 Pendennis Castle, Carnforth loco depot, 17 Sep 1975:

post-17793-0-35489100-1367188117_thumb.jpg

Cab of 2818 , NRM, York, 27 Sep 1975 (the day the museum was opened by HRH the Duke of Edinburgh):

post-17793-0-71811500-1367187642_thumb.jpg

4mm Scale Models:

4-6-0s

7812 “Erlestoke Manor”

post-17793-0-67429300-1367188441_thumb.jpg

Built by the GWR in 1939, 7812 is one of several which have been preserved.

The model was rescued from a “garage sale” at Sydney’s Train Trader shop. It was dirty, battered and did not want to run. A good strip down and clean fixed the chassis and the body tidied up without too much trouble. This loco works both passenger and goods trains and is part of my Cambrian lines group of locos.

7827 “Lydham Manor”

post-17793-0-09795300-1367188494_thumb.jpg

Built by BR(W) in 1950, 7827 has also been preserved.

The model was bought new with other Mainline models when they were being “remaindered” in Sydney in the early 1980s. It was initially a good runner, but sheared off a pin from one of the diecast gears. I managed to repair it by drilling it out and inserting a steel replacement pin. This loco is one of those which take turns to haul the “Cambrian Coast Express”.

2931 “Arlington Court”

2931 was built by the GWR in 1911 and worked until 1951.

This model was built from lots of scraps:

• Chassis block and wheels: Hornby Dublo Castle
  • Motor: Tri-ang X04
  • Tender: Airfix City of Truro
  • Body and cylinders: Tri-ang Hall
  • Romford gears

Here is the model as finished in 1975:

post-17793-0-67275600-1367187878_thumb.jpg

It has had at least one makeover, to improve its handrails and replace Tri-ang cylinders/slidebars/crossheads with whitemetal/nickel silver ones. It’s due for another upgrade, to improve the lining and substitute commercial etched name- and number-plates for the home-made ones.

Here she is in her current condition, hauling an express which includes a Collett 70 ft all 3rd coach.

post-17793-0-18037900-1367187919_thumb.jpg

2918 “Saint Catherine”

post-17793-0-42513800-1367187845_thumb.jpg

2918 worked fro the GWR from 1907 until 1935.

The model is a standard Hornby example, bought cheaply from Tom’s Hobbies in West Ryde (Sydney) around 1998. 2931 was showing its age and was no longer presentable alongside more recent models in the collection. 2918 was intended to be a replacement, but its performance has been disappointing. Traction tyres have not lasted well and the first gear on the armature has worked loose several times.  It currently doesn’t see a lot of use.

4908 “Broome Hall”

post-17793-0-96556900-1367188212_thumb.jpg

4908 worked from 1929 until 1963.

The model was a Tri-ang “Albert Hall”, bought in BR livery around 1967. The loco was given a minor makeover soon after, using tips in a Model Railway News article published around that time, emerging in GWR livery. The chassis was upgraded around 1970, using Romford wheels and gears. A further upgrade occurred in 2011, including replacement crossheads/slidebars, separate handrails and staunchions, repaint, re-lining, new transfers and new etched name- and number-plates. A spare tender in BR livery facilitates use with other BR-liveried locos.

4034 “Queen Adelaide”

post-17793-0-83486900-1367187595_thumb.jpg

4034 was in service from 1910 until 1952.

The model was made from a whitemetal kit. I bought it as currently finished, second-hand around 1987. It looks and runs well, especially with a set of current Hornby clerestories, with a sprinkling of toplights.

4081 “Warwick Castle”

post-17793-0-21678600-1367188173_thumb.jpg

4081 was an early example of the Castle class, serving from 1924 to 1963.

This is one of two BR-liveried model locos that came as part of a retirement gift in 2009. It is unaltered from the standard Hornby product. 4081 is illustrated hauling my “South Wales Pullman” 8-coach set (Hornby lighted models), which was also part of the retirement gift.

5025 “Chirk Castle”

post-17793-0-56986100-1367188259_thumb.jpg

5025 was built in 1934 and worked until 1963.

This is a much-altered Hornby Dublo castle class model, bought second-hand in 1968. It has had the following modifications:

• Wheels replaced with Romfords
  • Slidebar sizes reduced to be closer to scale
  • Handrails and staunchions replaced with scale ones
  • Buffers replaced by working scale brass ones
  • Scale front coupling and brake pipe fitted
  • Cast coal removed from tender and replaced with real coal, portraying a partly-used load
  • Paintwork stripped to bare metal and new finish applied
  • New lining
  • New etched name- and number-plates

Here she is, hauling a typical early 1930s South Wales express made up of Collett 70 ft coaches:

post-17793-0-79473100-1367188317_thumb.jpg

6007 “King William III”

post-17793-0-30784300-1367188362_thumb.jpg

6007 worked from 1927 until 1962.

This is the other BR-liveried model loco that came as part of a retirement gift in 2009. It is unaltered from the standard Hornby product. The model is shown with chocolate & cream BR Mk1 coaches, representing one of the premier services of the late 1950s.

2-8-0s

post-17793-0-30746000-1367187710_thumb.jpg

2803 entered service in 1905 and worked until 1959.

My model is a standard Hornby tender-drive one, renumbered from 2857. It works well and is shown above hauling a long string of mineral wagons on my club’s layout during its annual exhibition in November 2004.

Here it is again, home on Carmarthen Junction with a fitted freight:

post-17793-0-41700200-1367187752_thumb.jpg

post-17793-0-91658000-1367187798_thumb.jpg

2818 was built for the GWR in 1905. It has been preserved in the NRM, York.

See also the entry at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70333-what-have-you-done-with-your-keyser-kit/

post-17793-0-45436800-1367187967_thumb.jpg

3026 was built for the ROD in 1918, sold to the GWR and served it and BR(W) until 1954.

post-17793-0-01965400-1367188012_thumb.jpg

3040 was built for the ROD in 1919, sold to the GWR and served it and BR(W) until 1956.

My model is finished as I imagined she would have looked, cleaned up for a final enthusiasts’ tour before withdrawal (as was done for 6018). See also the entry at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70333-what-have-you-done-with-your-keyser-kit/

References

1. Anon: The locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 8 – Modern Passenger Classes (RCTS, 1968)
  2. Anon: The locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 9 – Standard Two-cylinder Classes (RCTS, 1962)
  3. Anon: The locomotives of the Great Western Railway – Part 10 – Absorbed Engines 1922-1947 (RCTS, 1966)
  4. Derek Cross: GWR Eight-coupled (Locomotives Illustrated 29, undated)
  5. Derek Cross: The “Saints” and “Stars” (Locomotives Illustrated 24, undated)
  6. Paul Drew: GWR Castles (Locomotives Illustrated 3, Ian Allan, undated)
  7. C.J.Freezer: Locomotives in Outline GWR (Peco Publications, 1977)
  8. K.Leech & M.F.Higson: Pendennis Castle (Roundhouse Books, 1965)
  9. O.S.Nock: Great Western “Saint” Class 4-6-0 (Patrick Stephens Limited, 1983)
  10. Brian Reed: ROD 2-8-0s (Loco Profile 21, Profile Publications, 1972)
  11. Mike Romans: The Great Western “Grange” and “Manor” 4-6-0s (Locomotives Illustrated 114, Jul-Aug 1997)
  12. J.W.P Rowledge: Heavy Goods Engines of the War Department – Vol.1 – ROD 2-8-0 (Springmead Railway Books, 1977)
  13. J.H.Russell: A pictorial Record of Great Western Absorbed Engines (OPC, 1978)
  14. J.N.Slinn: Great Western Way (HMRS, 1978)
  15. Colin Veal & Rev. John Goodman: Heavy Freight – 28XX and 38XX Consolidations of the Great Western (GWS,1980)

• 2 months later...

Saint Class Makeover

As mentioned in my note of 29 Apr 2013, my original (kitbashed) Saint class was overdue for another upgrade. When compared to more recent models, this 1974-built example was looking rather crude and tired.

Having finished two other projects (0-6-0ST 1331 and an AA3 toad), I found time to invest in this model. I made the following changes:

• Stripped off the handrails and stanchions
  • Stripped off the old acetate sheet cabside overlays
  • Removed the home-made Arlington Court nameplates and numberplates
  • Tidied up old body modifications
  • Fitted new stanchions
  • Fabricated and fitted new thin brass sheet cabside overlays
  • Removed the tarnished copper chimney cap, polished it with a brass wire brush and then refitted it
  • Refitted the handrails
  • Replaced the undersized bogie wheels with new Hornby A4 class front bogie wheels
  • Repainted the tender and loco with Humbrol enamels
  • Applied a mix of HMRS and PC “pressfix” lining and transfers. (It now has the correct crest for a loco with outside steampipes.)
  • Fitted new 2953 Titley Court nameplates
  • Varnished the model with Humbrol 135 satin clear.

This model will never be a fine-scale example, but at least its appearance is now compatible with the rest of the collection.

Here is her evolution over time:

1975:

post-17793-0-16938800-1374023472_thumb.jpg

Apr 2013, just before makeover:

post-17793-0-88406100-1374023514_thumb.jpg

Jul 2013 – on “running in” trials with B-set

post-17793-0-42436500-1374023438.jpg

This was no “60 minute makeover” (it took about a week), but it was worth the effort.

Regards,

Rob

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived