North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

Anthony Ashley

James,

I have been away at a conference for 3 days and have just opened up the train posts. Fantastic shots of the viaduct, the surrounding buildings and the overview of the area shown above. Many of your shots are the first I have seen of much of the detail in the features to be modelled so they are really valuable and add a great deal to my knowledge.

Starting from the top the wide scan views of the rail viaduct approaches will assist in correctly modelling that area, especially the walling leading into the viaduct. The detail at the far end of the wall in the area of the viaduct showing the stairs is a view also not seen before and therefore I know realise a stairway will be required at that end of the lead up area. The shots of the train coming out of the tunnel give me much more detail on the area of the tunnel mouths.   The decorations on the sides of the viaduct walls are clearly evident in your photos and much clearer than any others I have seen. While not affecting the base construction I shall be able to add much better detailing on the viaduct walls. 

The shots of the derelict hut are great, but I am not sure if they are in the area to be modelled. The other consideration with that building is that I am setting the time frame in 1960, so while it may be derelict now, it was probably merely neglected than. Can you tell me if that building is to the west or east of the rail viaduct. If to the east then it may not be in my layout. I think for your description it is to the east of the viaduct. Nevertheless case I might be able to squeeze it in before the line disappears into my modelling tunnel for transition to Bangor. Even in N gauge and a length of 38 feet there are still space limitations!! 

The far shots looking towards the mountain directly above have provided an overview not clearly seen before, particularly capturing the 2 viaducts and avalanche shelter in 1 picture is outstanding. Thanks for the considerable effort you have gone to to assist, I am very appreciative. Every aspect of the scenery ion this area will be enhanced by your photos.

Svitapeenela, Chris and Lezz your comments are most instructive and the reference to mapping very helpful. I do have a range of old maps printed out but will interrogate the site listed for additional information. Jamie your contributions to the posts have stirred up much more response than my prior ramblings on construction of the layout so thanks again.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/02/2020 at 00:36, Anthony Ashley said:

Can you tell me if that building is to the west or east of the rail viaduct.

Hi Anthony

Glad you are OK, I was beginning to think, Anthony been licking them wounds for 3 days now, how big are those mosquitoes, they must be huge... lol

Thank you for your kind words and I have really enjoyed finding the photo's you want, to help you get your layout modelled just right.

Right... I try and answer these in sections, so not to get mixed up, that's for my sake, not yours... lol

I believe, West of the Viaduct is the Signal, Hut and the Derelict Old Engine shed.  

I parked my car on the Llanfairfehan side of Pen-y-clip tunnel, and walk up the dual carriageway heading in Penmaenmawr direction, and on my way I first pasted the Signal and Hut and the old Engine Shed.  The track then narrowed to a wall either side of the tracks and then on to the viaduct then more or less straight into the tunnel and on through Penmaenmawr Station etc,.  as in the photo below, you can see the signal in tree (not literally...lol), then the small hut behind the signal and the Old Engine Shed, by the bus stop and the Car that had broken down... then we will come to the Viaduct and the Tunnel (Pen-y-clip Tunnel) and out through Penmaenmawr and on to ConwyLlandudno, and on to Chester in the UK as appose to North Wales.

939241472_PenmaenmawrViaduct22Feb2020(7)Mod1.jpg.11d40d80bcca8c6cd01dde4519f7b9e9.jpg

A bit more dumping ground from the past I think...

Penmaenmawr_Viaduct_22Feb2020_(130)_Mod1.jpg.a576b48e56fe57e0fbca99c6c443789f.jpg

Close Up of the container and what looks like sand bang, or some find of sea defence maybe... but obviously as been there for some time... Unless Views would know bags of... old bags of cement, sand bags etc,... (I don't really know on this one...) but I am still one my way walking towards the Viaduct...

Penmaenmawr_Viaduct_22Feb2020_(134)_Mod1.jpg.6853bb5d802f877886c745ead23f77b2.jpg

Below Photo... Just out of shot of the wall behind the container... the track seems to go down to the sea or rocks/beach... then we have wall that goes right the way along to meet up with the Viaduct... just as the railways goes round to the RIGHT, then over the Viaduct.

Penmaenmawr_Viaduct_22Feb2020_(143)_Mod1.jpg.eb112fbc739e7352f9ec310c7e8f6740.jpg

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 2

On 24/02/2020 at 00:36, Anthony Ashley said:

The detail at the far end of the wall in the area of the viaduct showing the stairs is a view also not seen before and therefore I know realise a stairway will be required at that end of the lead up area.

Is that the Stair Case leading down at the far end of the viaduct and down on to the beach see Arch 13 Photo (now below) with Water spewing of out,,,?

1254818013_Arch13Viaduct22Feb2020(818)Mod1.jpg.2b404ca20b6fc37cfe0afd13d37febbb.jpg

also See Arch 1 (Photo Below) this is the tunnel end of the viaduct there Two sets of ladders that go up the side of the walls...

528188667_Arch01Viaduct22Feb2020(806)Mod1.jpg.3f48e4554860d0ade45051394f71fba1.jpg

(Above Photo) I notice the ladders at track level that comes up to get over the wall and down on to the grassy area, and then you have the old rusty ladders going down on to the beach area and under the Arches.

Are these the ladders you are referring to...? Anthony...

I plan to revisit for more photo's and take them from beach looking up... Is there an are in particular you want me to take more photo's of...? Just so I can bare that in mind. 

Other Members I know...

Ray and Polly on the RMWeb who I visit regularly for a cuppa Tea, and they are the close friends I know that live just outside the Bangor area. 

Ray's ID Tender (I think) and Polly's ID southern42 on the RMWeb to, a lovely couple, l love to nipping over from time to time and have a chat and catch up. Ray and Polly have built there own layout to exhibit at shows etc,... and now they are just starting 0-Gauge layout to... 

Ray is in to 5 inch gauge and 7 1/4 gauge to..., I've watched ray slowly progress over several months of him building his own 5 inch gauge Steam Loco, impressive to. There is a group that are part have at Llandudno who runs 5 inch & 3 1/5 Inch combined track at West Shore Halt, which they use to pull visitors around the track to raise money for there club...etc, 

Ray tells me, the Spring Tide is the best chance to drone the Viaduct, once a month... as the sea is out at it's furthest and therefor more chance to get what I need Photo wise, and within the Regulations of Droning etc... so all in the pipeline Anthony... I still can't believe that viaduct as been there all this time and I never know till I read your Thread and started to follow you.

Take care till we speak again...

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hopefully this link works: https://goo.gl/maps/LMeWLajV6zwk3cH18 

Here's a Google Map view of the Hut / Engine Shed in Jamie's picture above, in case it helps position things on the map (I know I do all my prototype mapping in Google Maps!). 

Coordinates are 53.2625143,-3.9679377 if you have another mapping software you prefer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Anthony

I'm hoping to go back over the nest few days, I wasn't pleased with some of my setting on my DLSR Camera as I am still leaning the settings on it... most came out to dark, so I resulted back to my back up camera which as a much higher mpix and prefer that on detail work, as I can take photo's from a good distance and still take good photo's.

I* will be away visiting family in the midlands from next week, so hopefully I will take the photo's I need, and will upload them from my Laptop that I leave at my families house, I just carry a Two 2TB HDD with my backup photo's, so I can continue to upload hopefully for you.

I will back toward the end of March but will still have access to RMWeb if nothing else.

Questions I need from you...

Conwy... is it just the Railway Station you want photos of...? or more... if so state where about you want photo's of..!

Bangor... is it just the Railway Station you want photos of...? or more... and the Carriage and Engine Sheds or whatever is left ..!

Penmeanmawr... the Railway Station Building up close, which I already have more of, that you want photos of...? or more... if so state where about you want photo's of..!

Including the Loading of Aggregate and conveyor belts etc... Building and track work...?

Speak again soon Anthony.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

I do love Conwy Castle. It's one of Master James's best. Plus it has it's very own railway.

Regards Lez.

Hi Lezz

Yes, that spot halfway up the field, takes me ages to climb up to that level, but I have to say, its one of the best view in all of Conwy Area, ,ind you, i can not talk for a week, when I get to the top haha lol, If may help loose a few pounds, but the end result, it's worth the photo, especially if there is a steam train or Special on its way to Holyhead, but I have to allow plenty of time to get the right spot. Sometime is I know the WAG train is running I have done it, on a weekend only as its dark at the time it passes in the week days, due to having to make it down to Cardiff for the start of a working day, and again at night when it returns, it doesn't leave Cardiff till around 5pm-6pm so it will pass Bangor at about 21:50pm, but it's the only train my brother will catch due to the WifI and Buffet Services along with its limited stops... whenever he visits me.

Thank you for your input in my photo's Lezz, I just hope they are of some use to others modelling the area...

Regards

Jamie

1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

I do love Conwy Castle. It's one of Master James's best. Plus it has it's very own railway.

Regards Lez.

Hi Lezz

Yes, that spot halfway up the field, takes me ages to climb up to that level, but I have to say, its one of the best view in all of Conwy Area, ,ind you, i can not talk for a week, when I get to the top haha lol, If may help loose a few pounds, but the end result, it's worth the photo, especially if there is a steam train or Special on its way to Holyhead, but I have to allow plenty of time to get the right spot. Sometime is I know the WAG train is running I have done it, on a weekend only as its dark at the time it passes in the week days, due to having to make it down to Cardiff for the start of a working day, and again at night when it returns, it doesn't leave Cardiff till around 5pm-6pm so it will pass Bangor at about 21:50pm, but it's the only train my brother will catch due to the WifI and Buffet Services along with its limited stops... whenever he visits me.

Thank you for your input in my photo's Lezz, I just hope they are of some use to others modelling the area...

Regards

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Anthony

Just coming back to your Comment of the Photo that I took from the far end of Penmeanmawr, looking back across back at the Viaduct, See Photo below... 

Penmaenmawr_22_Oct_2013_(45)_Mod1.jpg

In the Above Photo, it you can see small Road Sign (Orange/Yellow) right by Peny-y-clip Road Tunnel... well, in the photo's Below is were I had taken the Photo's, See Photo's Below... Looking directly down at the Avalanche Tunnel/Cover....

Hope these help, we are quiet high up at this point, as I look down at the gap between the Railway Tunnel (near Viaduct) and I'd say about 50 feet or so, maybe Less before the Tracks Re-Emerging from the First Tunnel, seen at the one end of the Viaduct and the Tracks Re-Entering the Second Tunnel or Avalanche Tunnel/Cover...

I do need to re-visit this area, in hope I get the other end of the First Tunnel mouth before it the Second Tunnel or Avalanche Tunnel/Cover... Sometimes, I am just not satisfied in my own work... and need more evidence... lol

(I can here my Brother says... Jay, did you take a photo of the Tunnel Mouth as I shake my head in disgust lol) 

36420123_PenmaenmawrViaduct22Feb2020(544)Mod1.jpg.cac2339f4d2775412d86a32c88b6ded1.jpg

Below... you can make out the full length of the Second Tunnel or Avalanche Tunnel/Cover...

1818412845_PenmaenmawrViaduct22Feb2020(545)Mod1.jpg.67c4d50056fc9c0e29a99f799a5673b0.jpg

I will be out of the next few days for Bangor Station but mainly the old sheds that are still standing, along with Conwy Station and Penmeanmawr Conveyor Building and close-up to...

If you feel that are more photo's need in more detail Anthony, just say what of and which part you need more information of, photo's wise as I may already have it... 

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi

Some taken from my other camera... 

1896810822_PenmaenmawrViaduct22Feb2020(576)Mod1.jpg.44c19a4fc8b25f075195bb59eaad6877.jpg

1368289884_PenmaenmawrViaduct22Feb2020(578)Mod1.jpg.fdc596b7ec6ef2a8951df6b6b3a47909.jpg

1163031464_PenmaenmawrViaduct22Feb2020(576)Mod1.jpg.ad040c78ada6fed5c67a5e69fd5368c6.jpg

1852087923_PenmaenmawrViaduct22Feb2020(579)Mod1.jpg.9ce824158615266fce9cf02729ef50fb.jpg

Photo's of Penmeanmawr taken from the same point look back across...

1308715529_PenmaenmawrViaduct22Feb2020(581)Mod1.jpg.4baeb640fdea18a7f56d7317803e3b24.jpg

1501274071_PenmaenmawrViaduct22Feb2020(582)Mod1.jpg.a988228ff5f81be4874b3e1325ceb610.jpg

395955361_PenmaenmawrViaduct22Feb2020(583)Mod1.jpg.8822656700c3601333708aebd5963208.jpg

1513997978_PenmaenmawrViaduct22Feb2020(580)Mod1.jpg.c1e130ff431a4ae82b95bba4617326ab.jpg

Regards

Jamie

Nice photos and info here Jamie..

• Thanks 1

Hi

These are 2009 Photo's look back at the Second Tunnel or Avalanche Tunnel/Cover first ... Then First Tunnel aka Viaduct Tunnel... (hope that makes sense to you... ,but also seem to get the view looking right through both tunnels...

Taken from Penmeanmawr side looking towards the Second Tunnel (First) or Avalanche Tunnel/Cover... but does appear to see right through both tunnels...

1894219667_Penmaenmawr10Aug2009(29)Mod1.jpg.f9349c854012bb572610b4ddd994816c.jpg

79183781_Penmaenmawr10Aug2009(30)Mod1.jpg.f0db65970ae175f918a9a70581ec1e90.jpg

Not sure if this is just the angle the photo was taken at, as to why we can not see through both Tunnels like in the Top Two Photo's...

1489117546_Penmaenmawr10Aug2009(31)Mod1.jpg.e5b0c6349b2ecb272a70f445acd8b547.jpg

I will revisit this area again over the weekend and take better photo's of the Tunnels as there were 2009 and my old camera, as we see it from this side or Penmeanmawr side I should say.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi

These are 2009 Photo's look back at the Second Tunnel or Avalanche Tunnel/Cover first ... Then First Tunnel aka Viaduct Tunnel... (hope that makes sense to you... ,but also seem to get the view looking right through both tunnels...

Taken from Penmeanmawr side looking towards the Second Tunnel (First) or Avalanche Tunnel/Cover... but does appear to see right through both tunnels...

1894219667_Penmaenmawr10Aug2009(29)Mod1.jpg.f9349c854012bb572610b4ddd994816c.jpg

79183781_Penmaenmawr10Aug2009(30)Mod1.jpg.f0db65970ae175f918a9a70581ec1e90.jpg

Not sure if this is just the angle the photo was taken at, as to why we can not see through both Tunnels like in the Top Two Photo's...

1489117546_Penmaenmawr10Aug2009(31)Mod1.jpg.e5b0c6349b2ecb272a70f445acd8b547.jpg

I will revisit this area again over the weekend and take better photo's of the Tunnels as there were 2009 and my old camera, as we see it from this side or Penmeanmawr side I should say.

Regards

Jamie

Theres been talk about them starting up the old sidings at penmeanmawr again

Have you herd out Jamie??

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, saxokid said:

Nice photos and info here Jamie..

Hi Neil

How are you doing mate... Just helping Anthony who is modelling, Conwy Station, Penmeanmawr Station and Bangor Station and the Penmeanmawr viaduct, which till I came across this Anthony and this Thread, never knew it existed, till now that is, so been out and about to get some detailed photo's to help model the area... 

I still need to pop over to Birkenhead MRC to see you all, I keep saying I will... but I will mate... Family doing OK I hope bud...

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, saxokid said:

Theres been talk about them starting up the old sidings at penmeanmawr again

Have you herd out Jamie??

Are they, that will be great to see the siding being re-used, You still with Colas Rail or you gone back with Freighttliner...? I had photo's of Freighttliner Class 66 in penmeanmawr back in 2009, up loaded earlier in this thread, you will see...!  Which as far I am I know, was the last time I saw any usage... so it will be great to bring it back to working order....

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, 7APT7 said:

Are they, that will be great to see the siding being re-used, You still with Colas Rail or you gone back with Freighttliner...? I had photo's of Freighttliner Class 66 in penmeanmawr back in 2009, up loaded earlier in this thread, you will see...!  Which as far I am I know, was the last time I saw any usage... so it will be great to bring it back to working order....

Jamie

Im back on shipping container work now...

Hows things with you,seen anything  of Ray & polly??

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, saxokid said:

Im back on shipping container work now...

Hows things with you,seen anything  of Ray & polly??

Yes, I still see Ray & Polly often, both are keeping well mate.... last when up two Fridays ago for a brew and chat.

I'm good to bud, thanks for asking, Do these photos to help out with Anthony out is getting me out and about, which a good, and taking my usual photo's, you know how it is Neil, when someone looks suspect taking photo's of obscure things on the platform... that will be MEEEE... lol

It's that announcements I hate to hear....  If you see something that isn't right or doesn't look right, please contact a member of staff or contact Transport Police on the 0800 (blah blah, blah). If you See it, Say It, Sorted it...!. or something along those words...

Then I think,,, how many people are now talking to staff because I'm taking photo's of odd things.... haha... I do laugh every time I hear it being said... normally when I have just walked on to the station platform to....

Anything new due up the North wales coast line... that you know about, keep me informed Neil...

Jamie