Why are the J94/WD austerity 0-6-0's Unloved?

Michael Delamar

I'm very fond of Austerity tanks. They sound terrific when hard at work, have kept a number of preserved lines going when no other steam locomotives were available ('Antwerp' on the NYMR in the early 80s being a case in point), and are especially admirable given that they were originally designed to last for about five minutes. It's just a shame that so many have been disguised as J94s, which fools nobody and seems almost disrespectful.

In theory yes, as I also think they are wonderful locos and unjustly undervalued these days - not being able to aford the real thing I have to make do with three Hornby ones. However, I suspect the reasoning behind repainting Austerities as J94s is simply to look more convincing when hauling British Railways liveried Mk1s.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure there was one numbered 2996 years back (its on a magnet on my fridge) and it looks kind of "Swindonised".

2996 'Victor' was not an Austerity but one of a pair of engines built by Bagnalls for BMC Longbridge, the other being 'Vulcan'. They are best known for being the mainstay of the West Somerset's services during its early years.

• RMweb Gold

2996 'Victor' was not an Austerity but one of a pair of engines built by Bagnalls for BMC Longbridge, the other being 'Vulcan'. They are best known for being the mainstay of the West Somerset's services during its early years.

Nice looking and very powerful little (well compared with a 4-6-0 they are little :P ) locos with plenty of punch and easy to maintain. But they were not really suited to the West Somerset as they were - like most industrials - of too short a wheelbase to give a decent ride when working a few miles on a passenger train.

But they got the WSR through an important period in its history until the line could acquire something better suited to the sort of work it already had and which would become more demanding as the line grew.

Thanks for clearing that one up.

We have had 4 at the Strathspey over the years:

9: Well used during the 90s. Much like 828, withdrawn with a number of plugged tubes.

48 & 60: Never really saw them in service though were popular through the 80s.

Swiftsure: Was fired up for the second time and the firebox crown collapsed.

68030: Been with us for a while now and is likely to leave once 828 is finally complete.

I'm sure there was one numbered 2996 years back (its on a magnet on my fridge) and it looks kind of "Swindonised". They are kind of assocciated with smaller concerns and ones who didn't get to Barry quick enough.

Once/ if Grantown is reached, the tank engines will be hanging on a thread as WPR No. 17 struggles to complete the day with a full bunker.

coal capacity is a downfall of industrial locos . I used to help out at the Caledonian railway in Brechin back when there was only the barclay 0-4-0 running we would have to fill up a couple of dust bins with coal in the time between trips and refuel after each outing, doesn't help sore backs to have to lift up 8 or so dustbins of coal and tip them into the bunkers inside the cab.

more on subject they are another smallish line that used and still does make heavy use of industrial locos last i knew there was 3 austerity 0-6-0s, 2 peckett 0-6-0s and an 0-4-0 a barclay 0-6-0 and 0-4-0. wonderfull railway and well worth a visit.

Nice looking and very powerful little (well compared with a 4-6-0 they are little tongue.gif ) locos with plenty of punch and easy to maintain. But they were not really suited to the West Somerset as they were - like most industrials - of too short a wheelbase to give a decent ride when working a few miles on a passenger train.

But they got the WSR through an important period in its history until the line could acquire something better suited to the sort of work it already had and which would become more demanding as the line grew.

A small correction Mike. With one other similar machine, they were actually built for the Steel Company of Wales (at the same time as diesel electrics by the same builder for the purposes of comparison), before being sold to Austin/BMC (the third went to the NCB in south Wales and was later scrapped).

Adam

Edited by Adam

coal capacity is a downfall of industrial locos . I used to help out at the Caledonian railway in Brechin back when there was only the barclay 0-4-0 running we would have to fill up a couple of dust bins with coal in the time between trips and refuel after each outing, doesn't help sore backs to have to lift up 8 or so dustbins of coal and tip them into the bunkers inside the cab.

Not a problem confined to preservation; photos of the Aberdeen gas works Barclays working the line to the harbour, frequently reveal a hundredweight bag of goal sitting on the running plate :)

We have had 4 at the Strathspey over the years...

68030: Been with us for a while now and is likely to leave once 828 is finally complete.

Could be wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that 68030 is actually a "nationalised" industrial rather than a real J94. Can anybody confirm or deny?

Could be wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that 68030 is actually a "nationalised" industrial rather than a real J94. Can anybody confirm or deny?

No, it isn't, more's the pity. There are two preserved (consecutively numbered no less), 68077 and 68078, both built by Barclay and both preserved in the south east of England...

Adam

It is pretending to be a genuine J94. Perhaps I should have "" it.

I have a Austerity or two here that Im looking to use on my model railway, which features a preserved line meeting the national network. I am aiming to run things as close to typical operation as possible with those that are supporting me on the exhibition curcuit - when its built!

While the line I have chosen runs for 19.7 miles for preserved operation, the shuttle between two points runs for 10 miles, meaning a 20 mile round trip. There are fueling facilities at one station for the engine to refuel, but how long does it take to refuel a Austerity, and would it be near empty after the 20 mile round trip with say 2 Mk.1s as a load. The line doesnt have too many steep gradients or taxing curves. Any help with answers as to how it would run would be most helpful. While I expect an engine such as a Pannier makes journeys like this in preservation, I think it should be possible for the Austerity, but am wondering how long it has to fuel too.

Anyone started to repaint their own Austerity?

Have one kicking about somewhere that I repainted with pretty much the same idea of modelling a preserved railway as you. gave it an all over coat of crimson on the body frames and wheels with black running plates, handrails, chimney ect. painting the frames and wheels really helps them look the part. name plates are good to, theres a few that have been named after entering preservation. most of them have been vacume fitted and some steam heat fitted since which they dont have normaly if they are purely industrial ones.

• RMweb Gold

I have a Austerity or two here that Im looking to use on my model railway, which features a preserved line meeting the national network. I am aiming to run things as close to typical operation as possible with those that are supporting me on the exhibition curcuit - when its built!

While the line I have chosen runs for 19.7 miles for preserved operation, the shuttle between two points runs for 10 miles, meaning a 20 mile round trip. There are fueling facilities at one station for the engine to refuel, but how long does it take to refuel a Austerity, and would it be near empty after the 20 mile round trip with say 2 Mk.1s as a load. The line doesnt have too many steep gradients or taxing curves. Any help with answers as to how it would run would be most helpful. While I expect an engine such as a Pannier makes journeys like this in preservation, I think it should be possible for the Austerity, but am wondering how long it has to fuel too.

Anyone started to repaint their own Austerity?

I seem to recall that 'Antwerp' used to manage the 18 miles from Grosmont to Pickering on one tank of water with five on, but she would of course need to be watered at each end of the line after every trip.

I seem to recall that 'Antwerp' used to manage the 18 miles from Grosmont to Pickering on one tank of water with five on, but she would of course need to be watered at each end of the line after every trip.

but it would depend on the engines condition and the driver and how much steam demand

Speaking of watering, I wonder how the "ex Austerity" on the Mid Hants fares now it has a tender instead of a tank. Perhaps PhilH can comment ?

I know some disapprove of this hybrid, but hey, it's different, and serves a purpose. The only problem I have with it is the buffer beam area. I think the MHR engineers should have chopped the beams down to give it a sorta authentic bufferbeam look.

• Like 1

Speaking of watering, I wonder how the "ex Austerity" on the Mid Hants fares now it has a tender instead of a tank. Perhaps PhilH can comment ?

I know some disapprove of this hybrid, but hey, it's different, and serves a purpose. The only problem I have with it is the buffer beam area. I think the MHR engineers should have chopped the beams down to give it a sorta authentic bufferbeam look.

Leaving aside what I think of that conversion, you'd have difficulty sorting the buffer beams out without altering to entire footplate, cab, pipe-runs, etc. - the buffers being at the bottom of the beam...

Adam

Depends where you go. A 4-6-2 with 6 on up over the alps on the Mhr sounds good to me.

Depends which way it is running. I remember last year waiting for a rather delayed Bittern at Ropley station. When it finally arrived the driver was heard to grumble that Nigel Gresely may have designed the fastest steam engine in the world but it couldn't run backwards and go up hills at the same time. :lol:

• Like 2

I don't particularily mind these locos, especially if I'm at a railway for a ride. If I were to go to take photos, I may not be so happy.

I suppose they lack some of the nostalgia of an ex-BR loco, especially on a passenger train. They do however produce the nostalgia of early preservation, which is something that interests me as someone who wasn't around during BR steam.

The only industrials I own are those from the Hornby club, but I must say I was very tempted by Hornby's Wimblebury a few years ago, but was put off by the blue running plate.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't particularily mind these locos, especially if I'm at a railway for a ride. If I were to go to take photos, I may not be so happy.

I suppose they lack some of the nostalgia of an ex-BR loco, especially on a passenger train. They do however produce the nostalgia of early preservation, which is something that interests me as someone who wasn't around during BR steam.

The only industrials I own are those from the Hornby club, but I must say I was very tempted by Hornby's Wimblebury a few years ago, but was put off by the blue running plate.

The real Wimblebury, the firebox of which I was inside only 2 weeks ago, features blue valances and running boards (see photo), as the NCB weren't going to pay for a tin of black when the blue would do for everything! Foxfield should be able to turn out two Austerities again this year with the return of Whiston due in the very near future! Personally I would take an austerity over most mainline stuff anyday purely for the ease of operation and simplicity of maintenance. Having said that, at Foxfield I will happily have one of the even smaller 4 wheelers where you are working them close to their maximum, rather than an austerity that rarely gets out of first valve on the regulator!

On the mainline/industrial debate, I love to see all types of steam locos working, but the industrial scene is so varied compared to mainline stuff that I find it endlessly fascinating.

post-8705-12656315004253_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is a little old but, being new to the forum, I've only just come across it.

Can someone explain to me the difference between the 'WD Austerity' and the 'J94' please.

Looking at the entry on the LNER Encyclopaedia website, it reads the like the 'WD Austerity' and the 'J94' are one and the same, with the latter given the designation 'J94' by the LNER when they purchased 75 of these locos post war. Or am I missing something here?

Cheers, Dave.

The LNER made detail modifications to the basic design over the years, some of the LNER locos featured extended bunkers and most had extra steps fitted both to the running boards and the tanks.

As an aside, the last commercially built standard gauge steam locomotive for use in the UK was an Austerity tank in 1964.

And another aside, they are the most numerous class preserved.