Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

For anyone who doesn't want to wait for me to run around the layout with initial pictures we are on You Tube

Be aware this will waste 20 minutes of your life LOL.

There will be an update soon, we did a bit of tidying up before posting pictures here on RM  :mosking:

Not long to go to the end though, then I will expand on previous areas.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Went to the Lincoln & District Model Railway Club today. 

Kal spent ages at the DEMU stand, we came away with a form to apply for membership. Their magazines certainly had some interesting stuff.

He also spent ages with Paul C talking about Zimo (as they usually do  :mosking: ) Paul was showing off his new Network Rail  57 which Martin had wired up the lights prototypically, and a very nice job too. Who says you can't make use of the 10 functions on the Zimo.  

We also looked at a copy of a rail simulator  'Trainz Simulator 12' that was being demoed, and came away with a copy. 

Attached are a couple of pictures from the show

8928018639_e70c214038_c.jpg

I was interested in the weathering on this building. Summat Collery.

8928682762_d3181a4bc1_c.jpg

And this one a little closer. Unfortunately the light was very bright so the pictures are not of any great standard

8928105481_7152d46df6_c.jpg

These two from another layout were also similarly afflicted but the weathering was still of interest and I noticed they appear to have used the industrial chimney from the O gauge on an 00 layout to good effect. This if I remember correctly was Lincoln Central

8928747700_f7e4487940_c.jpg

The light through the window on this one is the worst  

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

The idea of Kalborough (which is on the rhs lower track level) is that it has been hewn out of the bed rock. Originally with a number of adjacent storage tunnels used by the military for cold war storage below the granite rocks of Port Lynn. As part of the cold war dividend it now provides a storage area for one of the major leasing companies providing stock to the TOCs.

Also from below Port Lynn  the upper track level emerges at the back of the layout and has a pair of tracks. 

A road from Port Lynn drops down and passes in front of Kalborough station then sharply rises up  to a union station above it Kalborough East,  

Once we have done some work on the Kalborough area, Kalborough East will be next on the list for a make over and a polish. 

8909524711_551114b708_c.jpg

med_gallery_17883_2804_342684.jpg2012 0610 004

Trains heading East from Kalborough's main Art Deco station exit via tunnels going under the union station Kalborough East and come out into a refuelling area in another cutting before disappearing yet again into more tunnels. Either to the old loft where four tracks then eventually circle back to the lhs or  three tracks run into another fiddle yard where they terminate under the last table in the new loft above the fiddle yard on the upper level is a turntable which will be permanently sited with a diesel MTD. Also on the upper level at the back 2 tracks run into the old loft. A point leads off to the Diesel MTD.

8910317948_d18648661a_c.jpg

THe plan at the moment is to build a MTD as a tribute to St Blazey Roundhouse.

8868150023_e8d239714c_c.jpg

This completes the initial run around Arboretum Valley in the new loft.

In the long term we will use the old loft to house a mining village then a scale scratch built Dawlish seafront which will then swing back into a tribute to either Blackpool South or Central or Fleetwood in order to incorporate our Blackpool tram collection. Then it will pop out into a small Ribblevale-esgue station and a viaduct before returning to the New loft and table one on the left hand side. Thereby creating a cross section of regions within England. The old loft, however, is still in the planning stages and no tables are in place yet. Bearing in mind we have taken two plus years to get to here, and we have plenty to do still in the new loft. So they are for the future. But it never hurts to think ahead. 

Having now done a 'quick' run around the layout to date. I will next go back and expand on individual areas. An odd picture or two of some actual locos or trains might even manage to get to see the light of day. :mosking:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Some more view of Zollywood our Heritage / Preservation station. These are old pictures. Some updating has taken place. The grass was deemed too luminous and recoloured, and the autumnal colours reduced, and an attempt to make the trees more realistic. But for now these pictures help set the scene.

med_gallery_17883_2793_1383123.jpg

The large tree in the centre was homemade from scratch. 

8868739364_1cb19ca968_c.jpg

8868735268_6c2379ccc4_c.jpg

8692452050_c6eddbe63b_c.jpg

I plan to use up a number of old stock photos first. Then move onto the current colouring and modelling. Once current pictures are uploaded these older pictures are pretty much redundant.

Although these areas are slightly out of date, I would still be happy for any comments on how to improve the area. At best you might agree with what I have done, at worst point out a far better idea that I can incorporate.

Hope you like them.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

What a fantastic layout and it does show that you are certainly enjoying yourself. Kalborough is very impressive and I look forward to its development. 

Regards

Scott 

Thank you very much. I went and saw your own layout Tynsleyfield, Well worth a look and posted there too. :).

Some more photos of Zollywood.

8594367173_311b184e26_c.jpg

The B.R.UT.E. Trolley were an etched product given to me.

8646399342_4032d4603f_c.jpg

A little closer, seeing where I painted a bit of tissue and added it to make the curtains that they usually have

8595460956_16a42f67f0_c.jpg

An even closer look

8614467926_210a667a06_c.jpg

A view showing the river running behind Zollywood

med_gallery_17883_2792_292035.jpg

A view showing the coaling area beyond

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

THe Britfarmer

Thank you, a friend Doverferries gave them to me. They originate from Ten Commandments. You get 3 brass etchings in a pack.  They are a bit fiddly but well worth the effort (and perhaps a little swearing). I used a little bit of tissue paper and matching blue paint to make the 'curtains'

Class 108

Thank you. I have a bundle of old pictures that I am posting in byte sizes, when I use them up I will be putting up to date ones. We have several projects on at the second. but it will be a little while before I use them. Several of these pictures have already had helpful comments which have encouraged us to enhance them.

People should feel free to comment or offer advice. 

Hi Jaz

What a great layout, that loft is awesome dude... what is the full length... so much to take in and some much to see, you need more photos but the YouTube clip helps on the walk round.

Cheers

Jamie

Hey! Thank you for all the likes. :yes: The loft end you see is 43'9"x11'6. Each side is 4'3" in depth. As you see there are several tables areas that are really little more than place holders. Though we have set them out with some dressing. There has been quite a few changes since that video. The main station is finally taking shape. RAF Zollywoods heliport is developing.

But as I explained earlier I am using up old picture stock at present, before the latest stuff goes up. The waterfall is my favorite bit, I am extending it soon to join it to the cove and RAF Zollywood. This time I will take pictures as I go to show how I made it. The waterfall is in the Hogwarts / Harry Potter area and was based on a frozen waterfall that I fell in love with, I decided it was magical. There is no waterfall per-say in Harry Potter but the water around Hogwarts had to go somewhere, and Goathland (I mean Zollywood) has Mallyan Spout. And Zollywood has a river behind, and Hogsmeade station (also Goathland) supposedly has water for the boats to come up to, so they all flowed together.

There are several Heartbeat references been shown next. Aidensfield Arms, Scripps garage, The Church. There is a reference to Greengrass' farm, and its real life camping is included, another to the stately home, and the police house. This was the first area we did, and we have moved on a lot. Along the way a lot of good people have offered balanced critism which has helped us improve our skills. We have been very pleased with the response since we decided to upload our layout here. It also encourages me to look around at other peoples work here, and there is a LOT of admirable work. I love 'On My Layout' people of all levels do work that we find mmmm nick....I mean copyable. Having built this over the last 2 years we have relied on a lot of bought resin buildings, but recently we have expanded into weathering, and expanding our skills with the intention of doing one specific area from scratch. Thus seeing work likes Trains12 is really great because he shows it in the process of being bought to life

Hi Jaz

Watching Peter do his modelling, it the little things he uses that we probably use in everyday life that becomes part of the layout but until you know probably wouldn’t of thought about it... like Sand Paper to do pebbled ash on houses and buildings etc... And as there are many different types e.g. the coarser the thicker or the finer for the flatter look.

When it comes to saving money, Peter as used one man (Diver) to appear as two people on one of his layouts, one half is in the water body up with tanks on his back as if swimming and the legs part glued to make it look like another one is diving into the water.

Outside Paint from B&Q like the Deluxe Paint Fine Texture or just Textured Paint with bits in it... and when painted, looks and feels like concrete on the building... and roads is also a good one in Black or very Dark Grey works to. It’s the little things like that, that goes a long way. good Top Tips...!

Jamie

Thank you RSLR

The ice cream van is temporarily at the RAF open day.  Though it does move about  lot, later pictures will confirm. i notice it's the same kids though, greedy little pigs. The only reason they're skinny must be all that running to catch the ice cream van....unless there's a friendly invisible transporter nearby. Maybe I need to include an indent on the grass and Scotty's head floating in mid air  We have a nice chinook. for the see thru aluminium.

Hi Jaz,

I think a cloaked Klingon Bird of Prey will look very good with indents in the grass and Scotty giving hand signals to Sulu in the helicopter... Spock swimming with whales or giving a punk a neck pinch would also be good scene ;)

I enjoyed the wasting 20 minutes of my life video, I see your a great fan of TV :) haha

I look forward to seeing the 'St Blazey' style TMD develop!

Cheers Reece

• Like 1

Hi Jaz

I love your Docks and the Rocks, they look great, and what did you use to make the Harbour Walls and the rocks...etc...?

Jamie

Firstly Peter is a man after our own hearts, Kal and I chat a lot about trying new ides. Things around the house often get used. I have used suede paint quite often. I use a large white Dulux paint which I mix with small amounts of black to make greys as I think different tones look better than a single flat colour.I use all manner of pots that should go into the recycling for mixing stuff supermarket soups with lids are my favorite as I can keep watered glue for ages and keep the syringe in the pot with the lid on. Moss from the garden so I thought was my own original idea, and so too was sawdust mixed with glue LOL. And two for one? Bonus!

Secondly Look carefully the middle of the cliffs in the coves are just cork, either side foam has been covered in plastercast and then coloured with house emulsion colours to match tonally. The harbour walls were rectangles of foam angled with copper to hold them in place and more plaster cast. The poles are just wood stained matchsticks. The sand was Hornbys, because it also matched, My usual mistake is to want to make sand yellow when in fact it is light tan. Here I avoided it and thus got a better result.

8594369639_a883cf6de6_c.jpg

[Edit notes = Flickr lost the picture so I added another one not certain if it is the same, this may effect the written content]

sub39h Thank you very much. Encouragement is always welcome. :mosking: 

RSLR. Every time someone mentions a TV or Film theme..............Yeah the idea of indents on the grass is definitely taking root. Do you happen to know the dimensions for a bird of prey for 4mm?How I am going to get Spock ears on a 1:76???!!! How did you get your little blue man? I can't do it soon though. I have promised Harry Potter et al and a film crew. Doc Martin...that's another pair of ears LOL. I have to get a Hagrid for Sirius' motorbike abandoned at Goathla...Hogsmea....i mean Zollywoood. The temptation to look for 28mm and make a little separate scene is very tempting...............As for Saint Blazey that's Kal's idea, Thankfully he has really good ideas.

More pictures I think

Edited by Jaz

Hi guys, well im not sure how i ever managed to miss this layout on RMWEB but all i can say is WOW.brilliant brilliant brilliant.i love it.full of fantastic detail and has given me soooo many new ideas.

im loving the new station area as it looks a nice and big open space.so whats next on the to do list?

terry

glebe road junction.

Hi Terry

Nice of you to say and I am glad it has given you some ideas, because we owe quite a few to you not least of which are the new platforms which we based upon your video describing your use of Plasterboard.

We are moving onto the other side of Kalborough, to finish of the hidden storage area under what will be the MTD. I have a Fleishmann turntable and want to make an MTD along the lines of that at St Blazey.

After that it will be back over to the other side of the room to make an interpretation of Sheffield park.  We live in a bungalow that is extended so we are blessed with a very long loft, or two to be precise, the old and the new, so it gives us a long run. Until recently we had no intention in going into the old loft, but I dunno the bug sort of took hold and as Jaz is loving the scenery side and now want to scratch build, she is like an artist looking for more canvas's.

So I suppose I will have to suffer having a bigger layout ;)you could write it could you, but ssssh, don't tell here  ;)

Regards

Kal

MrB

We started buying Hornby and then went bananas trying to buy one of each. We probably kept E-Bay in profit all by ourselves for a little while. :swoon:  Then we moved into Bachmann as well. We are now running out of places for them to go and have to be much more discriminating.

If you mention a specific post I can list which supplier (Hornby or Bachmann) and supply the number. The St James church and school make a fair Hogwarts (pictures will follow but that area lacks any finesse at the moment) The original Hornby buildings were a little samey but they work together nicely and I used a selection of them for the Zollywood Heights (Hogsmeade) area. There was an unpainted Hornby house, and I have an unpainted Hornby  bungalow-been too busy to paint it yet. The standard of resin buildings has seriously improved. Although we plan to move into scratch build, very soon. It won't stop us buying resins though. They are reliable, and quick. I do add a little copydex that can be rubbed off to add foliage etc. Almost all of ours just sit on top of the scenery at the moment. We do intend to bed them in once we have prepared them for lighting (by painting the insides a different colour) and adding some lights (after adding some card or plasticard to seperate the rooms) This is still to be done though, as we are still populating areas of the total layout.

In recent times we bought a number of Bachmann returns at low prices and then repaired them for our own use. (We have never sold any on). I have never sold on E-Bay.