Metropolitan Railway/London Transport class E and F locomotives

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi again folks,

Just a brief note to say that I have decided to put this project on hold for the foreseeable future and to concentrate on my other railway modelling interests.  More details of this can be found in my layout thread.

Once more, many thanks for all the contributions whether in the form of comments or of resources.

Regards,

Alex.

That's a pity to hear.  Whilst this topic is still current though, am I right in thinking that that E and F class are very closely related and are basically (in outline or silhouette at least) the same loco but with different numbers of driving wheels?  I'm thinking if it is possible to do a passable E class from an M7 body, and two are as closely related as I think they are, it might be possible to do an F from an M7 too. 

Not quite true.

Although they look similar they F class was actually bigger  than the E class.

I always thought they were the same, but my dad, who used to drive F class locos, put me right on that,  referring to E class locos as "piddling little things".

I have never been able to find properly scaled drawings of both locos, but I did have a picture of an E and F "nose to nose" at Neasden, which clearly showed the size differential.

I understand that the scrap value of a F class was more than an E class because of the size diffential.

I am pleased to say that the SE Finecast models show the size difference - but I don't know how accurate they are, but look about right from what I can remember of the photo I had.

Finally, as promised a couple of shots of the M7/E class lash up.

post-8704-0-44995900-1374342535_thumb.jpg

The boiler, running plate and structural tank sides are all tri-ang, the rest is plasticard (basically the white bits)

post-8704-0-69704500-1374342647_thumb.jpg

Here she is posing at Mount Pleasant with her younger cousin L49.

• RMweb Premium

Hi L49,

Thanks for posting those pics.  They have given me some idea as to how to proceed when the project is reactivated.  Again, a great piece of work there.

Regards,

Alex.

• 2 months later...

Hi, There is a London Transport Museum drawing of the E Class available on the web at http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7067/6812434140_98774c3dd8_b.jpg. It's labelled Chief Mechl Engineers Office.  It's not the clearest of drawings, but still very helpful, especially if you improve the contrast.  Comparing it with the drawing in Ian Huntley's book shows clearly that Ian Huntley has got the cab wrong.  On the LTM drawing the spectacle plates are squarer, the roof is less arched, the side opening has larger radius curves - all readily confirmed by recent photographs.  And further Ian Huntley has the whole engine too low - for example the rail to tank top height is 1.5mm too little in 4mm scale.  I haven't checked all the other dimensions.

I am working on a model based on the Hornby Dublo R1 0-6-0T body, which, with an extended bunker, is quite a close approximation.  I am still debating whether to move the dome forward.

Hope this helps. 

Kip

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, There is a London Transport Museum drawing of the E Class available on the web at http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7067/6812434140_98774c3dd8_b.jpg. It's labelled Chief Mechl Engineers Office.  It's not the clearest of drawings, but still very helpful, especially if you improve the contrast.  Comparing it with the drawing in Ian Huntley's book shows clearly that Ian Huntley has got the cab wrong.  On the LTM drawing the spectacle plates are squarer, the roof is less arched, the side opening has larger radius curves - all readily confirmed by recent photographs.  And further Ian Huntley has the whole engine too low - for example the rail to tank top height is 1.5mm too little in 4mm scale.  I haven't checked all the other dimensions.

I am working on a model based on the Hornby Dublo R1 0-6-0T body, which, with an extended bunker, is quite a close approximation.  I am still debating whether to move the dome forward.

Hope this helps. 

Kip

Any progress on this project worth a picture or two as I know Iam not the only one interested?

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Some interesting ideas and information all of which provides me with too many ideas.  Anyway, my better half and I have been looking again at the LT Panniers so something may begin to take shape soon.  As for the E and F classes, I am intrigued by the use of the R1 and the M7 both of which I can usually pick up in a shop in Glasgow.

As for layout plans it will have to be a 'plank' although I do like the look of the depot at Lillie Bridge so something based on a part of that may be possible.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Unfortunately, due to an unforeseen change of circumstance that are about to take place my hopes to build a LT steam era layout have had to be 'shelved'.

In the meantime, many thanks for all contributions to this thread.

Regards,

Alex.

• 2 months later...

I done a Triang M7 into a Met 0-4-4T in about 1969. I've still got some pics somewhere, so nothing new here on the idea!

The official LT engineers drawings which I have are often different to what was actually built.

Archived