Using johnsons klear

Can someone please advice me if it is possible to get both, a matt or gloss finish with klear. I have up until know only used it on some lazerglaze . I have been using alclad ( semi-matt,gloss) and have got some great results but having heard that it can be used for sealing decals some guidance would be of some help.

Thanks in advance

Mick

The Pledge one is identical in the 'States - it's licensed from Johnson - it does not dry yellow because a whole army of Housewives over here would rise up and riot. On the shelves of Walmart about $9.00 a quart. The will last a modellers lifetime...

There been so many threads on this stupid subject that I posted on a previous one photographs of the Pledge bottle - My Wife thought I was going insane! Search for it.

Best, Pete.

Go to your local games workshop and get a can of their "purity seal" £9.50 per spray can. you can get a semi-matt factory finish.

If you are looking for a semi -matt finish to brush on with "kleer" try adding tamiya matt base you can vary the sheen yourself.

And now the million $$ question - is it available still, and if so, where can you get it from?!!

Humbrol's new "Clear" is a similar formulation to the original Klear which is no longer available in the UK, although I've read some stocks are still available in parts of Spain/Tenerife. Check out the Humbrol Utube channel for more details on their new Clear product. I have a bottle of Klear so I've not tried the new Humbrol stuff as yet.

HTH

Ken

You can get Johnson's Klear from Sainsburys in the UK.  Plent available in my local branch, but you need to look for it as its amongst the household cleaning materials and on the lowest shelf, almost on the floor!

It is slightly yellow in the bottle but the colour is so pale that the dry film is almost coloutless at normal brush application thickness of 2 - 4 thou. 20 - 100 microns. It dries rock hard, but can be removed with a solution of ammonia in water ( near the same shelf.).

Jerry

You can get Johnson's Klear from Sainsburys in the UK.  Plent available in my local branch, but you need to look for it as its amongst the household cleaning materials and on the lowest shelf, almost on the floor!

It is slightly yellow in the bottle but the colour is so pale that the dry film is almost coloutless at normal brush application thickness of 2 - 4 thou. 20 - 100 microns. It dries rock hard, but can be removed with a solution of ammonia in water ( near the same shelf.).

Jerry

The original  KLEAR is water clear with no yellow-ness at all.  The currently available replacement version is I believe, a different formula and is also branded "Pledge" etc

Compare the two images -  the original Klear is on the left

post-2215-0-02574200-1376399736.jpg

post-2215-0-13469600-1376399995.jpg

Hi tractor_37260,

Thanks for the images, I too have bottles of both. I think it's important not to confuse form with function when it comes to assessing this sort of material. I well recall the time when one of my employers changed the colour of their cans from cream to white, no change of formulation or manufacturing method. The complaints from the trade 'this is not as good as the stuff in the cream cans' was something to savour, and an early lesson to me.

I don't think I said it was the same. You have to thank the EC Committee of experts on chemical hazrds for the change, some of the ingredients in the original are not very good for you. Since we are 'consumers' in EC jargon we are not expected to have a very high level of protection and the use of some substances in consumer products is not necessarily 'supported' under the REACH Regulation.(REGULATION (EC) No 1907/2006 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL) Ask your MEP why this very expensive legislation was approved.

As the performance of the current Klear/Pledge is very similar I provided some information on how to practically determine the difference in colour. We should remember that the use of most of the lacquers, clear coats, varnishes, etc., for modelling is not necessarily what was intended by the manufacturer.  Although you did not mention it the bottle has also changed from clear to white. Perhaps the householder doesn't care when she/he coats their floor.

If you want to carry out a valid check on the colour of the 'new' formulation against the 'old' then you should follow this procedure - (NB this might be over the top but it is the generaly accepted method when no colour comparison equipment is available)

1. Obtain a piece of flat float glass, and a sheet of white card,

2. Apply a band of each at the same time (within a few minutes of each other) and at the same film thickness (,to within a few microns). This is the most difficult but most important part of the job. see below.

3. Allow to dry overnight,

4. Place the glass coated side up onto the card.

5. Assess the colour and compare.

6. Decide whether the new fomulation is usable.

How to obtain a consistent wet film thickness, assuming the same non-volatile contant in each formulation -

Obtain a straight stainless steel round bar, approx 12mm diam, say 12 ins long.. Wind under tension a stainless steel wire of say 0.5mm diam. onto the bar. The wire turns should abut onto each other with absolutely no gaps. A lathe is almost essential for this. Fasten off each end of the wire by appropriate means.

Place the bar onto the glass, pour a small amount onto the glass on the side of the bar nearest to you and then draw the bar towards you leaving 2 bands of coating on the glass. These bands will both be the same wet film thickness with sufficient assurance for this type of test.

Of course you can buy these test bars, originally known as drawdown bars. In fact now I think of it I might make one of my own.

Best of luck

Jerry

The original  KLEAR is water clear with no yellow-ness at all.  The currently available replacement version is I believe, a different formula and is also branded "Pledge" etc

Compare the two images -  the original Klear is on the left

Original Klear is still available on your favourite auction site, but it is now listed at £19.99 a bottle + £4.50 Postage. Bargain !!!!

Looks like in  that photo that the Pledge is in an opaque bottle...

Take a look at these two photos of Pledge Klear:

post-9016-0-50664900-1376482339_thumb.jpg

post-9016-0-89317200-1376482534_thumb.jpg

The second photo actually taken through the Pledge Klear guarentees against "Yellowing".

However if you want to pay through the nose for the so-called original please do so. I really don't care.

I know what works.

Best, Pete.

PS Pledge is a brand wholly owned by SC Johnson - they just re-branded it.....

Archived