Bere Alston Station. Part 2: The Signal Box

• RMweb Gold

Continuing with my study of Bere Alston Station here's a few photos of the disused signal box which stands on the north end of the out of use platform.  It appears in good condition.  I was told it had received a make over a few years ago. Here's some photos of the front aspect.

post-7584-0-23683100-1378837217_thumb.jpg

post-7584-0-40521300-1378837234_thumb.jpg

post-7584-0-22758900-1378837249_thumb.jpg 

I was given permission to photograph the box from the old goods yard side of the station. These shots show the locking room door which was open.  Inside it was full of rubble.  The box looks as if it may have been extended at some point-maybe in 1904 with the opening of the Callington branch.

The wooden supports that held up the toilet/entrance to the signal box (I think?) have been replaced with breeze blocks at some recent point.  

post-7584-0-42837500-1378837298_thumb.jpg

post-7584-0-31619900-1378837313_thumb.jpg

post-7584-0-66380600-1378837331_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

The signalbox had a cosmetic re-paint by student volunteers under the supervision of the Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership about 3 or 4 years ago, but nothing more. In site meetings I've had recently with the Partnership, Devon County Council and other interested parties regarding the Tavistock extension, I have strongly urged them to consider making it a cafe - I pointed out that the signalman's old kettle was even still extant...!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

The signalbox had a cosmetic re-paint by student volunteers under the supervision of the Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership about 3 or 4 years ago, but nothing more. In site meetings I've had recently with the Partnership, Devon County Council and other interested parties regarding the Tavistock extension, I have strongly urged them to consider making it a cafe - I pointed out that the signalman's old kettle was even still extant...!

That kettle must be some kind of heirloom. As long as they don't propose using it if it was turned into a cafe. :)

Whilst I was taking photos of it I did think to myself this would make a good coffee shop and there you have it. ;)

I do think the D&CRP do a lot of positive work in promoting these lines but also looking at the heritage too.  The proposed plan to extend to Tavisitock can only be a good thing for Beer Alston and will be a lifeline not only to the community but also the signal box and the old waiting room too.

Talking of finding old kettles-in the locking room was a coal scuttle-I wonder?

Cheers,

Mark

Archived