Will's LNER West Highland Works

will5210

• RMweb Gold

Will,

Just discovered this - great work on bashing these locos.  can't wait to see how your Glen will turn out.  Sure it will be a smasher.  Must get my K2 (Loch Treig) painted now it's finished.

Gus

Grabbed some time tonight & fitted splashers (soldered) & Chimney, Dome & safety valves (glued with epoxy).

Almost every casting I've used so far has needed quite a bit of 'adjustment' to get it anything like correct & I regret not replacing the cab roof with a brass one, as I think the over high roof affects the visual balance of the thing.

I think I'll be trying the PDK D34 next time.

13112815634_54966713fc_z.jpg
DSC02025 by will5210, on Flickr
13112784324_e4f11a4e55_z.jpg
DSC02024 by will5210, on Flickr

Cheers

• Like 5

Hi all.

I've indulged myself with a little cheque book modelling this week in the form of a Nucast K2 'Loch Rannoch'. It wasn't dirt cheap, but considering the price unbuilt kits have been going for recently it was decent value.

It's been put together pretty nicely, though I will need to change the cab to a side window version for my 1939 based layout ('Loch Rannoch' went north in 1924 but only received its side window cab in 1934).

Its arrival has, however, allowed me a first glimpse at the classic West Highland combination of K2 leading D34.

13251507394_3ce9276463_z.jpg
DSC02032 by will5210, on Flickr

Cheers

• Like 7

Further detailing progress.

New bufferbeam & cylinder cover from brass. Pipework from 1mm brass rod. Cab handrails bent up from .45 brass.

13333780613_74a8011758_z.jpg
DSC02033 by will5210, on Flickr
13333818493_ca46b6b9cb_z.jpg
DSC02036 by will5210, on Flickr

I've decided to adapt the Hornby T9 bogie as it's a lot nicer than the Triang one, but this does mean shortening it. NEM pocket will be removed when I find a decent prototype picture.

13333854243_df5d1f2cd3_z.jpg
DSC02038 by will5210, on Flickr

Cheers

• Like 6

New frames cut from 5 thou brass & soldered on. Rivet heads were formed by lightly tapping with a screw from the back.

Modded bogie (see above) is sat underneath to see the effect & I think it's much better. (Often a weak area in RTR models in my opinion)

The clearances are all a bit tight even after I shaved a little from the Hornby bogie wheel rims, so I'll take a little more off the brass & order Gibson bogie wheels tomorrow when I order tender wheels.

13364562894_3afd91e69c_z.jpg
DSC02042 by will5210, on Flickr
13364154725_85e481ccfd_z.jpg
DSC02041 by will5210, on Flickr

Cheers
  • Like 6

Hi all.

It was tender time today & I got most of it done today with just a few details remaining.

Firstly though I scratchbuilt a basic chassis last night from 12 thou brass with homemade L shaped spacers (forgot to take a picture of this though). It runs ok but I think it'll benefit from having bearings fitted so I'll order some next week.

Then this afternoon it was on with the body, and as with the rest of the kit quite a bit of fettling was needed to get a decent fit of the parts. I'm quite happy with the outcome, though I may live to regret not replacing the coal rails as the cast ones are minging.

Please note it's sat a little low, as its on the old bogie wheels at the moment to save the new Gibsons from nasty flux.

13491863265_b7795178a5.jpg

13491897885_3fd9825dc2.jpg

13491930955_b0ee1ed153.jpg

Handrails, Buffers, coupling & pick ups still to do.

Cheers

Edited by will5210
  • Like 3

Hi all.

It was tender time today & I got most of it done today with just a few details remaining.

Firstly though I scratchbuilt a basic chassis last night from 12 thou brass with homemade L shaped spacers (forgot to take a picture of this though). It runs ok but I think it'll benefit from having bearings fitted so I'll order some next week.

Then this afternoon it was on with the body, and as with the rest of the kit quite a bit of fettling was needed to get a decent fit of the parts. I'm quite happy with the outcome, though I may live to regret not replacing the coal rails as the cast ones are minging.

Please note it's sat a little low, as its on the old bogie wheels at the moment to save the new Gibsons from nasty flux.

13491863265_b7795178a5.jpg

13491897885_3fd9825dc2.jpg

13491930955_b0ee1ed153.jpg

Handrails, Buffers, coupling & pick ups still to do.

Cheers

Very nice indeed, I find that you get an even better look if you remove the rear section of the tender rail and replace with n/silver or brass wire. You noted that the clearances are very tight at the front end, i had to do a little cheat and fit 26mm drivers to give a little extra height, and slighly smaller bogie wheels. did you make it work with the correct 24mm drivers.

the larger drivers aren't to apparent but I know that they are the wrong size.

post-10572-0-58334900-1396362776_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-16581600-1396362887_thumb.jpg

I am now working on a second and third Glen.  was going to get the new gem chassis but, a friend did this and the chassis is dire so the trusty triang chassis works just as well. its just a shame that the cab gets filled by the X04.

• Like 4

Hi Kingfisher,

your Glen looks great & I couldn't tell your driving wheels are slightly oversize. Since my last post I did in fact decide to fit brass tender rails and have ordered the bits from Mainly trains which should be here today when I get home - Your pictures have re-enforced my opinon that I've made the correct decision! 

Only time will tell if there is enough clearance at the front end. I plan to have reasonable generous curves on my layout so it's fingers crossed for now.

That's also interesting to hear about the Gem chassis being a dud as I planned on trying one for my next D34. I'm in two minds to try a PDK version next, or fit the motor from the latest Hornby B12 to another Triang 4-4-0 chassis which might give me a clearer cab space.

Can you tell me how you fitted the loco brakes? (Another job on the to-do list!) They make a difference to the overall look I think.

Cheers

Will

Kingfisher,

Which Gem chassis did your friend use? Was it an original Gem whitemetal effort, which was indeed dire!, or the etched chassis now sold by the people who market Gem loco. kits and other products?

I have been following this build as I have a 'new' Gem body kit for the Glen.

cheers,

Peter C.

Long time ago when did some 4mm made one of these chaps. 100% agree the white metal chassis was dire but as I recall sweated 2 pieces of brass together and used the white metal chassis as template for frame shape and axle holes etc Lots of shaping and sawing and then un-sweated two sides with relevant holes in appropriate places. Used the original white metal blobs included in the kit to space the frames. Clearly not museum quality but quite acceptable at the time

One other issue from memory is the shape of cab side lining varied between locomotives. Some rectangular, some following coupling rod slasher. Currently half asleep so can't remember which was Cowlairs and which Inverurie. 

Otherwise a very nice build 

....was going to get the new gem chassis but, a friend did this and the chassis is dire .....

.....also interesting to hear about the Gem chassis being a dud as I planned on trying one for my next D34....

Kingfisher,

Which Gem chassis did your friend use? Was it an original Gem whitemetal effort, which was indeed dire!, or the etched chassis now sold by the people who market Gem loco. kits and other products?

There is a more up-to-date D34 chassis option, if you need it....

The problem with that will be the Gem body is designed around the Triang chassis which is a few mil too long in the coupled wheelbase for a scale Glen.

Neat looking bit of kit though. I intend to copy the brake arrangement (where I can) on the chassis I'm using.

I also have a new style Hornby D49 chassis which I intended to rewheel & use originally for this Glen, but I may use for the next one. 

Glen Chassis

The chassis a fellow modeller used is the new etched brass chassis from GEM, he showed me the chassis and told me he had to do a large amount of hacking at both the body and chassis to make the two fit together - on top of that the loco sits too high (at least the thickness of the running plate) also the tender wheelbase of the new chassis kit has the wrong wheel base for the glen tender and he ended up using a spare djh tender chassis. I have not built the new kit for the chassis - I personally prefer using a rtr chassis where possible - but after my friend showed me and told me what he had to do to make it work, I think I will stich with the Triang/Hornby chassis as at least this sits at the correct height.

A quick question while I am on about Glens - did the glens have grab handles above the running plate steps - I see in the loco that I am building that there are holes in the frames above the running plate but am not sure if there were handles immediately above the steps?

Keep the kitbuilding snaps coming.

Will

For the brakes I simply hacked some brakes from a spare N2 chassis bottom I had lying around. I then attached some small-thin strips of black plastikard to the chassis and then attached the bakes to the plastikard strips (both using a 2 part resin mixture (as I find all super-glues can me to brittle to withstand accidental knocks etc). I have some spare etched brakes acquired from a swapmeet for use on the Glen I am currently making but, it will be fun mounting these - I will put a snap up on this thread when I manage to do this.

Gary

Glen Chassis

The chassis a fellow modeller used is the new etched brass chassis from GEM, he showed me the chassis and told me he had to do a large amount of hacking at both the body and chassis to make the two fit together - on top of that the loco sits too high (at least the thickness of the running plate) also the tender wheelbase of the new chassis kit has the wrong wheel base for the glen tender and he ended up using a spare djh tender chassis. I have not built the new kit for the chassis - I personally prefer using a rtr chassis where possible - but after my friend showed me and told me what he had to do to make it work, I think I will stich with the Triang/Hornby chassis as at least this sits at the correct height.

A quick question while I am on about Glens - did the glens have grab handles above the running plate steps - I see in the loco that I am building that there are holes in the frames above the running plate but am not sure if there were handles immediately above the steps?

Keep the kitbuilding snaps coming.

Yes it seems so - see below

7584441602_7dae31f6c6_z.jpg

The Gem chassis doesn't sound too promising from what you say. As I said above, I have a new D49 chassis which is the correct 40mm coupled wheelbase & DCC ready so that may be the way to go. It'll still need all new wheels & a decent bogie though.

Cheers for the info regarding the brakes. I've seen an idea on Adam's workbench which may work too so I'll decide which way to go over the weekend.

Will.

From illustrations in Locomotives Illustrated 96 "Reid North British 4-4-0s" (though none of them are pure 'broadside' shots), there were grab handles above the footplate steps on both sides. However, they don't look to have been centred on the steps - they look as if one end was in line with either the back edge of the steps, or with the centre of the steps, and they extended forward from there.

From illustrations in Locomotives Illustrated 96 "Reid North British 4-4-0s" (though none of them are pure 'broadside' shots), there were grab handles above the footplate steps on both sides. However, they don't look to have been centred on the steps - they look as if one end was in line with either the back edge of the steps, or with the centre of the steps, and they extended forward from there.

Forget all that! It's a perspective thing, I think. There are a couple of true broadside shots of other classes, and the grab handles are centred on the steps, so I presume the Glens were the same. Sorry about that!

This weekend's achievements were small & few:

Glen tender chassis had bushes fitted & was sprayed in Railmatch weathered black

13676642413_bc2e2f1d30_z.jpg

Glen Tender now has handrails & buffers

13676901944_1e3ee18a20_z.jpg

LOTI got its reversing lever fitted

13676868264_a7c01211c4_z.jpg

Loch Long had nameplates & worksplates fitted. 24/7 worksplates seem a bit on the big side to me

13676484505_f7d49d8b79_z.jpg

K4 tender #3 got a coat of Halford's filler primer to see any imperfections, of which there were many!

13676635515_8dacc8eb86_z.jpg

Cheers

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

well the weather has been too nice & the cricket too plentiful recently to get much modelling done, but here it where I'm at with the Glen. Railmatch 'Weathered Black' has been used for the smokebox, wheels, roof & tender top with satin black for the rest. Lining is next when I get time.

14619084153_5efb57a605_c.jpgDSC02081 by will5210, on Flickr

14575966016_fa61ae2ce7_c.jpgDSC02080 by will5210, on Flickr

14412365128_017f6c01a8_c.jpgDSC02076 by will5210, on Flickr

Cheers

• Like 4