NCC Wagons

Nelson Jackson

Hi,

I'm hoping some people can help me out here please.

I'm wanting to make a rake of 15/17 NCC wagons to go along with my (not yet built) NCC U2.

I have looked through all the books and done some research but all I can find are vague photos showing wagons in the background.

So if anyone has any plans or photos of NCC wagons could you please post them here or send me a PM.

I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Nelson

Here's some of my recent work,

post-19436-0-01514000-1384031263_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-70317100-1384031280_thumb.jpg

Not sure where I got this, online somewhere I think, but I hope this helps, Nelson.

There's a pic of what looks like this type of van on page 27 of 'The LMS in Ireland'. It's the second van behind U2 number 81 at Bleach Green in 1934; a bit distant but shows the markings, plus a similar type of van with an extra vertical frame each side of the doors.

post-15566-0-39523300-1384040668.jpg

Didn't think so but have just found this.

Also this link, likely where I got the 10t drawing:

http://irishrailwaymodeller.yuku.com/topic/709/Re-NCC-10T-Van?page=-1#.Un7O_OJc098

If you need more, you may be able to find the location (offline) of others, from Jonathan James's Irish railway drawing index from 1992:

http://irishrailwaymodeller.yuku.com/topic/709/Re-NCC-10T-Van?page=-1#.Un7O_OJc098

Mark Kennedy at the UTFM, if he's still there, was extremely helpful to me 'back in the day' getting copies of drawings of UTA railcars, GNR coaches and other stuff. He produced a price list of what they had at some point but I don't have it now; likely it included any NCC stuff that didn't go up in smoke, courtesy of the Reichsmarschall in '41.

post-15566-0-49036200-1384042136.jpg

I have got the plans sorted out.

A huge thank you has to go to David Jackson for providing me with over 40 NCC wagon plans/diagrams, and thank you 33lima for provinding those drawings as well, thank you very much you two.

If anyone has any photos of NCC wagons then please feel free to post them here, I'm always looking for more photos.

Many thanks

Nelson

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

After building and painting about 5 mainland LMS, LNER etc... wagons (as seen on my workbench if interested) and lots of research, work has finally begun on my long term project, the latest wagon to come out of the works is this LMS NCC 10Ton van, featuring the unique outside W irons, I decided to leave her in ex works condition as I think it looks very nice.

post-19436-0-49266900-1398801540_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-15530900-1398801550_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-16603600-1398801563_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-96433800-1398801588_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-55703000-1398801599_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-98464200-1398801613_thumb.jpg

Hopefully next I will be making some open wagons then maybe a brake van,

Thank you to everyone who made this possible, providing me with plans/photos and advice on livery, it is very much appreciated, thank you.

Nelson

Well done Nelson,

That is an excellent model, I am particularly impressed by the way you; have created the outside W irons, such a typical feature of both NCC and BCDR wagon stock. When you get a chance I (and, I am sure, others) would love some more info on how you did them.  I have never attempted this myself, being content with painting my standard underframes grey!  

Regards

Colm

Thank you Colm.

The W irons took a while as there are 6 separate parts to each one (11 including springs and axle box covers) the W irons were made from 20tho plasticard cut out into strips, then glued together, the half circle was also 20tho filed down to the correct shape, springs were made from 3 strips of 10tho plasticard and axeboxes out of 30tho. Its a lengthy process, but I think it has turned out very well and looks the part, only wish I had taken pictures of the process.

Thanks

Nelson

Impressive model, captures the look of NCC vans very well, particularly, as has been mentioned, the W-Irons. I hope you will build more!

Have you ever considered using resin casting to produce your wagons? Basically, you make one side and one end, much as you have made your wagon, then use a rubber casting compound to make a mould of them. You then fill the mould with resin a number of times to produce the number of wagon sides and ends that you need. It's easier to do than to describe and you don't need any complex tools or equipment to do it.  I've been experimenting with a GN covered van - I can post / pass on details if this is of interest.

Regards,

Alan

Thank you Colm.

The W irons took a while as there are 6 separate parts to each one (11 including springs and axle box covers) the W irons were made from 20tho plasticard cut out into strips, then glued together, the half circle was also 20tho filed down to the correct shape, springs were made from 3 strips of 10tho plasticard and axeboxes out of 30tho. Its a lengthy process, but I think it has turned out very well and looks the part, only wish I had taken pictures of the process.

Thanks

Nelson

I had a feeling it might be something like that! You're now a fully paid up member of the "I am mad enough to cut up endless litle pieces of plastic" fraternity.

Very good Bill! I see the design is marked with "5'3" gauge". Does this mean that the spring units are actually sized for 21mm gauge? That is fine for me, but since most folk use OO, they would need extended axles with the wheels inset a bit. By any chance do you stock suitable pinpoint axles, otherwise the only source I know of at present is in New Zealand?

The etch I posted is indeed for 28mm axles, for those who model in OO this etch can be used, it's marked as NER but the outside w-irons are exactly the same as on the Irish fret. 

The source for 28mm axle would normally be the Scalefour Society, but there are marked 'Out of Stock'. I've been told that they have been re-ordered but there is, as yet, no delivery date.

Archived